• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Favorite BBQ Sauce Recipe

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got a rack of ribs getting ready to go in the smoker and was wanting to try a new barbecue sauce. Anybody have one that they like? I'm looking to make it, not buy it preferably.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish someone would post a good sauce recipe. I've looked for years and found close to nothing. In that time I've seen Bigfoot 3 times.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found one online that I used yesterday and I thought it was pretty good. Pretty simple, but it turned out nice.

2 TBSP chili powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoon salt
2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup wocestershire sauce
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup steak sauce
1/4 cup dark molasses
1/4-3/4 cup honey (I used 1/2 cup)
1 teaspoon hot sauce (suggested tabasco or similar, but I used a pepper sauce I made last weekend and used probably 3 teaspoons to give it a little extra kick)
1 cup brown sugar
1 onion
4 cloves garlic
4 tbsp vegetable oil

Dice the onion, heat the oil in a saucepan, add onions and saute until they are translucent. Crush the garlic and add it, let it simmer w/ onions for 1 minute. Add dry ingredients for 2-3 minutes (except brown sugar). Combine the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and add to saucepan. Stir to mix and simmer until it cooks down to your desired consistency. Put it through a strainer if you want to get the onion pieces/bits of garlic out.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found one online that I used yesterday and I thought it was pretty good. Pretty simple, but it turned out nice.

2 TBSP chili powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoon salt
2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup wocestershire sauce
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup steak sauce
1/4 cup dark molasses
1/4-3/4 cup honey (I used 1/2 cup)
1 teaspoon hot sauce (suggested tabasco or similar, but I used a pepper sauce I made last weekend and used probably 3 teaspoons to give it a little extra kick)
1 cup brown sugar
1 onion
4 cloves garlic
4 tbsp vegetable oil

Dice the onion, heat the oil in a saucepan, add onions and saute until they are translucent. Crush the garlic and add it, let it simmer w/ onions for 1 minute. Add dry ingredients for 2-3 minutes (except brown sugar). Combine the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and add to saucepan. Stir to mix and simmer until it cooks down to your desired consistency. Put it through a strainer if you want to get the onion pieces/bits of garlic out.

I'm going to make this one as soon as I can. Hopefully the weekend after this coming weekend. If it's good it's going in my recipe book as Bigfoot BBQ Sauce.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what kind of sauce do you like? Vinegar based sauce? Mustard based sauce? Ketchup based sauce? etc... They are all VERY different but can all be VERY tasty!!!

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what kind of sauce do you like? Vinegar based sauce? Mustard based sauce? Ketchup based sauce? etc... They are all VERY different but can all be VERY tasty!!!
That one is mostly ketchup based and it was really good...I'm relatively new to making bbq sauce so I don't really have my own style yet.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That one is mostly ketchup based and it was really good...I'm relatively new to making bbq sauce so I don't really have my own style yet.

This. There's sooooo many different kinds. Sounds like you like the ketchup based ones which are usually sweeter. Also, what kind of ribs? Pork or beef?

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. There's sooooo many different kinds. Sounds like you like the ketchup based ones which are usually sweeter. Also, what kind of ribs? Pork or beef?
I like sweet, but I really like spicy stuff. I am going to try again tomorrow. I have used pork so far. Going with baby back ribs.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like sweet, but I really like spicy stuff. I am going to try again tomorrow. I have used pork so far. Going with baby back ribs.

Sucks it got rained out. You can pretty much make any sweet sauce spicy just by adding cayenne pepper or roasting whatever peppers you want and putting them in the blender to mix in the sauce.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks it got rained out. You can pretty much make any sweet sauce spicy just by adding cayenne pepper or roasting whatever peppers you want and putting them in the blender to mix in the sauce.
I did pretty close to this yesterday. Made a pretty standard sauce with ketchup, mustard, molasses, honey, etc. and added cayenne seasoning. Prior to mixing the sauce I cooked some onion and a jalapeño with some garlic in the pan. After letting the sauce cook down to the right consistency, I put it through a strainer and got the big chunks out because I like a nice smooth sauce. I was really happy with how it turned out.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did pretty close to this yesterday. Made a pretty standard sauce with ketchup, mustard, molasses, honey, etc. and added cayenne seasoning. Prior to mixing the sauce I cooked some onion and a jalapeño with some garlic in the pan. After letting the sauce cook down to the right consistency, I put it through a strainer and got the big chunks out because I like a nice smooth sauce. I was really happy with how it turned out.

Nice. I like to roast my peppers, garlic, onions, etc. Adds just a little extra flavor. I also forgot to mention if you're using pork to add some cinnamon to the sauce if it's not in your dry rub (if you're using a dry rub). I too enjoy a smooth sauce.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice. I like to roast my peppers, garlic, onions, etc. Adds just a little extra flavor. I also forgot to mention if you're using pork to add some cinnamon to the sauce if it's not in your dry rub (if you're using a dry rub). I too enjoy a smooth sauce.
Do you prefer the cinnamon in the rub or the sauce? I'd like to try that, but don't currently put it in either.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you prefer the cinnamon in the rub or the sauce? I'd like to try that, but don't currently put it in either.

I prefer it in the dry rub. I usually try to put cinnamon on any pork I make. It's the one special ingredient I use. Everyone loves it and it shocks them when I tell them what it is. That and paprika.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer it in the dry rub. I usually try to put cinnamon on any pork I make. It's the one special ingredient I use. Everyone loves it and it shocks them when I tell them what it is. That and paprika.
Yeah the rub I've been using has paprika in it I think. I don't really remember because I made a ton of it the first time and I've just been using the leftovers since then. I need to find that recipe again because it is really good and I'm almost out.