• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fan gets drilled by foul ball behind catcher

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was watching it live when it happened. Len for the Cubs was pretty concerned she was out the whole time. She dropped like a sack of potatoes but very fortunately for her that man was there to catch her fall.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why they would make a backstop that has the possibility of this happening. I know at the dbacks it's a solid plastic/glass barrier behind the backstop..

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There should be a 7-8' high plexiglass barrier used for all backstops, from on-deck circle to on-deck circle.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow, now she has something to complain about Brett Lawrie.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There should be a 7-8' high plexiglass barrier used for all backstops, from on-deck circle to on-deck circle.

Disagree. Those nets have signs on them that say something to the effect of "Do not lean against netting" for a reason. Fans are also supposed to wait until there is a break in the action to return to their seats, mostly so they don't get in the way of fellow fans, but also so everyone can be paying attention to the ball. I do not blame the fan for this exclusively, as the ushers should not be allowing the fans to return to their seats in the middle of an at-bat. I am glad she appears to be ok.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody gonna get sued.

You're more qualified to comment on that, but I just feel like that would be a pretty tough suit for her to win. There's signs all over the parks warning that shit can and does fly into the stands and people get their bells rung fairly often. I'm pretty sure that by buying a ticket, they've got language that states you acknowledge the inherent risk. I would think that MLB would put some pretty serious resources behind squashing that suit as to avoid setting a precedent.

It seems to me it would be like trying to sue a ski resort - you're just not going to win that one - but as I said, I don't really know what I'm talking about.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. Those nets have signs on them that say something to the effect of "Do not lean against netting" for a reason. Fans are also supposed to wait until there is a break in the action to return to their seats, mostly so they don't get in the way of fellow fans, but also so everyone can be paying attention to the ball. I do not blame the fan for this exclusively, as the ushers should not be allowing the fans to return to their seats in the middle of an at-bat. I am glad she appears to be ok.

How it relates to this situation notwithstanding, I agree with you, but I've been to a lot of parks around the country and very few of them enforce or even encourage fans to wait. In fact, I've been told on multiple occasions that I can't loiter in the isles and that I should find my seat.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How it relates to this situation notwithstanding, I agree with you, but I've been to a lot of parks around the country and very few of them enforce or even encourage fans to wait. In fact, I've been told on multiple occasions that I can't loiter in the isles and that I should find my seat.

True. The ushers don't always/rarely enforce this in baseball. At Nats Park there are a few that do, but most don't. It's infuriating.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update.

The game was delayed for 23 minutes while the woman, who has not been identified, was tended to by emergency personnel and was eventually carried out on a stretcher. She was treated at a local hospital.

The Pirates released the following statement later Monday:

"During the top of the second inning, a female fan was struck in the head with a foul ball. After initial treatment by PNC Park and Pittsburgh EMS personnel, she was placed on a stretcher, moved to a nearby ambulance and brought to the hospital for further treatment. She was conscious and alert at the time of transport, graciously thanking her caregivers while giving a 'thumbs up' gesture to nearby fans. Our thoughts and prayers are with her. We will share additional information as it becomes available."

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the net might have slowed that ball just enough to save her real problems.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fan taken off by stretcher after foul ball at PNC Park in Pittsburgh

I love the comments that the netting should have been tighter. I guess people don't realize what would happen if a ball hit a tight net. Who knows where it would go flying to or who it would hit.

.....Unless it would hit the umpire making bad balls.... :) :L

I reality they should just enforce the rules to wait until a break in the action to sit down. Or do what most people at baseball games don't do anymore, that is, pay attention!

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is why women should always be in a kitchen.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're more qualified to comment on that, but I just feel like that would be a pretty tough suit for her to win. There's signs all over the parks warning that shit can and does fly into the stands and people get their bells rung fairly often. I'm pretty sure that by buying a ticket, they've got language that states you acknowledge the inherent risk. I would think that MLB would put some pretty serious resources behind squashing that suit as to avoid setting a precedent.

It seems to me it would be like trying to sue a ski resort - you're just not going to win that one - but as I said, I don't really know what I'm talking about.

There is also disclaimers on the back of each ticket

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The netting has to have some give to it. It was hard to tell but it looked like she was within a few inches of the net.

Freak accident. Have never heard of it happening before.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunate accident. Having the plexiglass barrier for the first 4 or 5 rows with the net above that would make a lot more sense IMO. I don't blame either side for it, just a freak thing. Glad she appears to be ok as far as head injuries go.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunate accident. Having the plexiglass barrier for the first 4 or 5 rows with the net above that would make a lot more sense IMO. I don't blame either side for it, just a freak thing. Glad she appears to be ok as far as head injuries go.

if you have the ball hitting a hard surface at the speed it comes off the bat it will rocket right back to the plate area and take out the ump, catcher or batter.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you have the ball hitting a hard surface at the speed it comes off the bat it will rocket right back to the plate area and take out the ump, catcher or batter.

Nonsense. Chase Field as well as other ballparks have plexi & we never hear stories of balls rocketing back, taking out an ump, catcher, or batter. And unlike the fans, all of which are wearing protective gear.

I am not placing blame for this incident, but if you want the safest experience without much of a change, plexi backstop is the way to go.

k-bigpic.jpg