• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fan Base Animosity

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve seen fans here and there on these boards and across Facebook and Twitter who are saying pretty much the same thing; if it wasn’t for Seahawks fans acting like such pricks trying to defend Richard Sherman and/or talking shit about San Francisco or Denver, they would root for the Seahawks.

It goes to show that it really is (for the most part) all about the fans. How many of you hate the Yankees because of Yankee fans? Or hate the Red Sox because of Red Sox fans? I use those two as an example because they are a part of the rivalry I’m most passionate about but you could apply it most, if not all situations.

How we feel about a team really depends on the ability of the teams fan base to embrace winning without coming off as arrogant assholes. It’s a fine line to walk and in today’s day and age of 24 hour/365 day interaction with other fans through social media and websites and the fact that you can do all of your communicating with 100% anonymity, it’s easy to be a dick about it.

We want the fans of teams like the Seattle Seahawks, the Tampa Bay Rays, and the Los Angeles Kings to have the “Aw shucks, we’re just glad to be here” demeanor when they first get to the Promised Land after being shit on for decades, and some are. However there are also those who have a lot of frustration they’ve carrying around for years, and in some cases decades. Those fans are the fans who want to give it back to those who have been dishing it out, in spades.

In the end, those fans are the fans they hate, and they proceed to create more of their own kind. I have always aspired to be the kind of fan who was above all that, and I’d like to believe that most of the time I am. I have my moments however, especially after a Red Sox World Series win and the non-stop chest thumping of those fucking massholes…see there I go again.

Anyway, am I alone in thinking it's about the fans for most fans?

At least in terms who you hate?

:suds:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that every fan base has their share of dbs. They also have their fair share of cool-guys.

I think that people may notice it a bit more with the Yanks and RedSox because of the city-personality that many of their fans bring to it, though. Both cities have VERY strong personalities and attitudes attributed to them, and for people not from these cities, they are very grating.

As a Giants fan, I actually have yet to get to know any dodgers fans IRL that are anything but nice, respectful and fun. That probably has more to do with the type of people I expose myself to, though, but it is still a fact. However, in the same circles, I have met numerous Yankee and Sox fans that have been impossible to deal with.

Again, I think this has more to do with a NY or Boston vs California thing than a Yankees/Red Sox vs Dodgers thing.

mike hunt

Hoopla Cash
$ 850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that every fan base has their share of dbs. They also have their fair share of cool-guys.

I think that people may notice it a bit more with the Yanks and RedSox because of the city-personality that many of their fans bring to it, though. Both cities have VERY strong personalities and attitudes attributed to them, and for people not from these cities, they are very grating.

As a Giants fan, I actually have yet to get to know any dodgers fans IRL that are anything but nice, respectful and fun. That probably has more to do with the type of people I expose myself to, though, but it is still a fact. However, in the same circles, I have met numerous Yankee and Sox fans that have been impossible to deal with.

Again, I think this has more to do with a NY or Boston vs California thing than a Yankees/Red Sox vs Dodgers thing.

Read a lot about how Giant and Dodgers fans kill each other after games at there stadiums, so i am not sure if that is a good example.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of animosity and fighting, it all depends on your demeanor, how you present yourself and what situations you get in. I've been to a Mets game in Philly wearing a Mets hat and the people around me could not have been friendlier. Same with when a buddy of mine wore his Yankee gear to Fenway. If you're an asshole about it you'll run into trouble otherwise it's a nonissue.

I won't hate a team because I think their fans are assholes, again every team has some asshole fans, I typically will disklike a team for my own personal reasons.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve seen fans here and there on these boards and across Facebook and Twitter who are saying pretty much the same thing; if it wasn’t for Seahawks fans acting like such pricks trying to defend Richard Sherman and/or talking shit about San Francisco or Denver, they would root for the Seahawks.

It goes to show that it really is (for the most part) all about the fans. How many of you hate the Yankees because of Yankee fans? Or hate the Red Sox because of Red Sox fans? I use those two as an example because they are a part of the rivalry I’m most passionate about but you could apply it most, if not all situations.

How we feel about a team really depends on the ability of the teams fan base to embrace winning without coming off as arrogant assholes. It’s a fine line to walk and in today’s day and age of 24 hour/365 day interaction with other fans through social media and websites and the fact that you can do all of your communicating with 100% anonymity, it’s easy to be a dick about it.

We want the fans of teams like the Seattle Seahawks, the Tampa Bay Rays, and the Los Angeles Kings to have the “Aw shucks, we’re just glad to be here” demeanor when they first get to the Promised Land after being shit on for decades, and some are. However there are also those who have a lot of frustration they’ve carrying around for years, and in some cases decades. Those fans are the fans who want to give it back to those who have been dishing it out, in spades.

In the end, those fans are the fans they hate, and they proceed to create more of their own kind. I have always aspired to be the kind of fan who was above all that, and I’d like to believe that most of the time I am. I have my moments however, especially after a Red Sox World Series win and the non-stop chest thumping of those fucking massholes…see there I go again.

I don't, or try really hard not to, hate anyone for being a fan of any team. I hate individuals, and only after they give me a reason to. You hit on a good main reason here to. Chest thumping. Act like you have done it before, I say. A lesser reason for me, but still a pet peeve are these folks. People that wear team apparel, anything really, but at the same time could not name more than just a few player names, and know nothing of the franchise history.

Yet I digress....

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has nothing to do with what city you're from or what team you're a fan of. It has to do with the level of intelligence and maturity of the individual. Teams that have large fanbases are also going to have a huge number of fucking idiots who are loud and obnoxious and start fights.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know every team has fans I wouldn't approve of, the ones I support, the ones I don't like, and
the ones I pay little attention to.

I root against Texas teams because I grew up in Oklahoma. The fact that I had good Texan friends as a child
doesn't change that.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't care less about anything Richard Sherman says. I'm rooting for the Seahawks because of what the Manning family did before the 2005 draft. They're classless in my book.

As for the Yankees, it's their money. They can spend it anyway they want. I don't think Tanaka is going to win them the World Series, let alone their division, but you never know.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't care less about anything Richard Sherman says. I'm rooting for the Seahawks because of what the Manning family did before the 2005 draft. They're classless in my book.

As for the Yankees, it's their money. They can spend it anyway they want. I don't think Tanaka is going to win them the World Series, let alone their division, but you never know.
Holding Archie and Eli's draft day antics against Peyton is extremely stupid. "The Manning Family" didn't do anything. It was Archie, with Eli playing the aww-shucks stooge.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,618.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the reason i hate other fan bases is not off of what there players do in interviews like shermen. i just dont like rivals

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holding Archie and Eli's draft day antics against Peyton is extremely stupid. "The Manning Family" didn't do anything. It was Archie, with Eli playing the aww-shucks stooge.

They told the Chargers if they drafted Eli he wouldn't sign because the Spanos family doesn't want to win. Which is absolute BULLSHIT. If you think Peyton didn't know what was going on think again.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They told the Chargers if they drafted Eli he wouldn't sign because the Spanos family doesn't want to win. Which is absolute BULLSHIT. If you think Peyton didn't know what was going on think again.

Not for nothing but they (the Mannings) absolutely made the right call, Eli has two rings, Phillip has 0.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And now, the smell of sour grapes permeate the thread.......

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this just might lead to some animosity.

A-Roid, working on his new career already -

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle, or the Seahawks rather, is one of the few teams who I dislike on account if fanbase rather than players/franchise/city/etc. Theyre not alone, but they don't have much company. So, I suppose I agree with the OP to a degree, but also disagree.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sour grapes? I'm not speculating what Eli would have done as a Charger. All I said was what he & his family did was classless. Whether you agree or not is up to you.

Not the first time I am wrong today then, and likely not the last.......

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not the first time I am wrong today then, and likely not the last.......

No worries. I realize how talented both Peyton & Eli are. I just believe the way the family went about getting Eli to another team was wrong. There was no reason to bad mouth the organization or the owner.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No worries. I realize how talented both Peyton & Eli are. I just believe the way the family went about getting Eli to another team was wrong. There was no reason to bad mouth the organization or the owner.

To put a nice little bow on this whole thing, one could say that he just took a page out of John Elways playbook. If Elway was not the first player to force ownship's hand in whom they select, he is probably the most famous case of it.

It is not exactly the same, not at all. But, the base motives were similar at least.