• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ex-Iowa RB Akrum Wadley says playing for Hawkeyes 'was a living nightmare'

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wadley: Playing for Iowa 'was a living nightmare'

I would think this would hurt Iowa football going forward recruiting wise...I mean it's not like they are big-time players anyway.

Former Iowa running back Akrum Wadley on Monday detailed several allegations of mistreatment by current and former Hawkeyes coaches, writing that "playing for Iowa Football was a living nightmare."

Wadley, who played for Iowa from 2014 to 2017, mentioned head coach Kirk Ferentz, offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz and former strength and conditioning coach Chris Doyle in the allegations, published on Facebook by Robert T. Green, whose sports advisory firm is working with several former Iowa players to voice their experiences with the program.

Iowa has hired the Husch Blackwell law firm to conduct a review of the program after a large group of Black former players spoke out about alleged mistreatment early this month. On June 14, Iowa reached a separation agreement with Doyle, who led the football strength and conditioning program throughout Kirk Ferentz's 21-year tenure.

Wadley alleges that Brian Ferentz, son of Kirk Ferentz and an Iowa assistant since 2012, repeatedly asked him if he planned to rob a liquor store or a gas station whenever he saw Wadley wearing a team-issued wool cap. He also alleges that Iowa targeted him and other Black players for not gaining enough weight during the season, which led to him bingeing on shakes before workouts and becoming sick.

"I was threatened by Kirk Ferentz that my meal card would be taken away and I will not eat nor be able to sit with my teammates during eating sessions," Wadley writes in his statement. "He did follow through on his threat. I went to use my meal card and it was declined. I had to call my mother from New Jersey at 10 or 11 at night because I was hungry to order Domino's Pizza for me. Or I would have to go to a fan's house earlier at night to eat because there was no way I was going to be able to make it through the next day vomiting, being weak and be able to make it through school and practice."

Wadley writes that he asked Broderick Binns, Iowa's director of player development, to find him a therapist "because no one in the football program would help us or listen to what we had to say." After meeting with the therapist once, Wadley writes that "she disappeared."

"No one told me where she went and no one was put in place for her after that," Wadley writes. "I didn't want to ask too many questions because we would get punished for anything and everything."

Wadley writes that he turned to alcohol to cope because of his experience at Iowa. He led the Hawkeyes in rushing in each of his final two seasons and finished his career with 2,872 rushing yards in 43 games.

Iowa released a statement in response to Wadley's allegations Monday that read: "As previously stated, Coach [Kirk] Ferentz will not be commenting on individual unverified accusations posted on social media out of respect for the independent review process. Coach Ferentz has spent the past several weeks listening and talking with a number of current and former players, who shared their experiences and their desire to help shape the future of the Hawkeye football program. Additionally, Coach Ferentz has been meeting with the newly formed advisory group and is formulating a plan to institute their recommendations. Coach Ferentz believes that meaningful change takes time and a thorough independent examination is already underway. He remains committed to creating a more inclusive culture for all of his players now and in the years to come."

Athletic director Gary Barta on June 15 reiterated his support for Kirk Ferentz to continue to lead the program, but said additional personnel actions could come after the independent review. Brian Ferentz reports directly to Barta because of the school's anti-nepotism policy.

"My time at Iowa has done things to me that I am not going to discuss because knowing how these people treated me and other black athletes," Wadley writes. "I am done giving them power over me. But if I could do it all over again. I wish I never played for the Iowa Hawkeyes. I would not encourage any future athletes or parents to send your kid to go play for the Iowa Hawkeyes under that current coaching staff."

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to wave good-bye to coach Ferentz

images

:wave:

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ Iowa football. :L

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa is flyover country

-Colin Cowherd

Proceeds to get 16 calls in row from pissed off Iowa Billy Bobs

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm just cynical, but I see this setting up as some sort of attempt at a lawsuit against UI by a group of former players.

Pretty sure Wadley never finished earning a degree (last I heard, he wanted to become a politician after football) and pro football hasn't worked out for him.

Like someone else said, Transfer. Dude completed 4 years at Iowa...

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ironic sinve he literally spent all last year pimping out his little bro on social media and tagging Iowa in every post.

Then this from him after the staff declines to offer his brother.

Im sure Iowa has issues. Too much smoke not to be fire but this from Wadley is like a jilted ex gf saying you used to beat her

TheReal_NU

This space intentionally left blank
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ironic sinve he literally spent all last year pimping out his little bro on social media and tagging Iowa in every post.

Then this from him after the staff declines to offer his brother.

Im sure Iowa has issues. Too much smoke not to be fire but this from Wadley is like a jilted ex gf saying you used to beat her

while you are most certainly right, I’d just like to point out that pretty much every human being on the planet who is not from Iowa would agree that 4 years in Iowa would be living in a nightmare.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
while you are most certainly right, I’d just like to point out that pretty much every human being on the planet who is not from Iowa would agree that 4 years in Iowa would be living in a nightmare.
Which would be why if you're too dumb to transfer....

Edit: at least he was able to kick the shit out of the Bugeaters 4 straight years..

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His mom had to order him a pizza and pay for it one night after his free meal card got declined which btw is almost certainly bullshit.

Oh the horror! Be a man for gosh sakes. This dude is positioning himself in line for a much needed payday coming his way via a class action lawsuit against the university who offered him a free education, free housing, and a free meal plan.

Entitled, crybaby, selfish, bitch made, bloodsucking leech pretty much sums it up.

TheReal_NU

This space intentionally left blank
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which would be why if you're too dumb to transfer....

Edit: at least he was able to kick the shit out of the Bugeaters 4 straight years..

sure, but at what cost???

he had to live in Iowa for 4 years.

oh, the humanity.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too bad he didn't have a mad-on about the Hawkeyes during the 2017 Cy-Hawk Game!