• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN Insider: Redskins Best Choice Is To Trade Down, Should Take Coooper If Stuck At #5

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone have ESPN Insider? If so, please share a story it ran regarding the results returned by a panel of their 'experts' on what the Redskins should do with their #5 overall pick. From what I heard, they are saying that we need to trade down, which is something I completely agree with. They also noted that if we're stuck at #5, we should take Cooper. Not so hot on that, but this appears to be a BPA driven pick more than anything. They also concluded that our biggest need is OLB and, if he didn't have so much baggage, Randy Gregory should be our guy.

The panel consists of people like McShay, former Buc GM Dominik, Louis Riddick, Herman Edwards and others.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any certain link(s) you want to look at?

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went to the Redskins ESPN page and here is one Insider article about the Redskin's draft needs.

Washington Redskins' draft needs, targets, predictions - 2015 NFL Draft

Ahead of the 2015 NFL draft, Insider is providing guides for all 32 teams: biggest need positions from Football Outsiders, top prospect targets from scouts Steve Muench and Kevin Weidl and predictions on how everything will play out from our NFL Nation team reporters.

Roster needs

Biggest need: Safety
-- This was the league's worst pass defense in 2014. At safety, Ryan Clark has retired and Brandon Meriweather remains unsigned. The trade for Dashon Goldson helps a little, but Duke Ihenacho and Trent Robinson (who only started one game between them last season) are the only other options.

Quiet need: Offensive line -- All five starters from 2014 remain under contract, but that's not necessarily a good thing. Washington was 19th in adjusted line yards (which measures a team's run-blocking ability) last season, 27th in short-yardage running, and next to last in adjusted sack rate. Center Kory Lichtensteiger will be 30 this year; guard Chris Chester will be 32.

Not a need: Defensive line -- Washington was ninth in FO's run defense rankings and 12th in adjusted line yards. They lost Jarvis Jenkins in free agency but gained Terrance Knighton, Stephen Paea, and Ricky Jean-Francois. Ryan Kerrigan was seventh in the league with 13.5 sacks, but Washington was only 17th in adjusted sack rate; a bookend pass rusher certainly wouldn't hurt. But the front three in the 3-4 should be solid.

--Vince Verhei, Football Outsiders

Prospect targets

Randy Gregory, OLB, Nebraska (Day 1): Concerns about Gregory's history of smoking marijuana could cause him to fall but this makes too much sense from a value and need standpoint. Gregory has the first-step quickness, length, upper-body strength and closing speed to develop into an upper echelon NFL edge rusher. He also has the frame to add bulk and get stronger against the run.

Corey Robinson, OT, South Carolina (Day 2): Bill Callahan is one of the best offensive line coaches in the league and he's capable of helping the talented, albeit raw, Robinson reach his considerable potential. At 6 feet 7 and 324 pounds, Robinson has the long arms and frame to develop into a quality starting tackle or kick inside to guard.

Buck Allen, RB, USC (Day 3): Washington needs to strengthen its pass protection and replace Roy Helu's production in the passing game. The 221-pound Allen is a willing pass blocker with the size to hold his ground, and a reliable receiver. He's also an instinctive runner with good feet and lateral quickness for his size.

--Steve Muench, Scouts Inc.

Predictions

1. The interest in quarterback Marcus Mariota is real:
It might not matter because Mariota could be gone before Washington picks at No. 5. If quarterback-starved Tennessee doesn't take him at No. 2, then another team might trade up for him. The Redskins performing due diligence is wise considering there are doubts about where Robert Griffin III can take the franchise. Yes, they both played in the spread in college, but this is about their belief in a player.

2. They'd prefer to trade back: The Redskins have all seven of their picks this year, but they have a renewed focus on the draft with general manager Scot McCloughan. This isn't just about filling immediate holes, it's about finding good players around whom to build. There is depth in this draft, especially at key areas such as edge-rusher and offensive line. Adding more picks by dangling the fifth overall selection gives them more chances for success -- and to speed the rebuild.

3. They're not finished defensively: Despite adding five new starters on defense -- and none on offense -- the Redskins will focus on one important area in the draft: edge rusher. They seem intent on adding a player who can help improve the rush, giving them (potentially) three outside linebackers -- Ryan Kerrigan and Trent Murphy -- who are capable of creating pressure. But they won't feel compelled to take one at No. 5, knowing there's depth at this spot.

-- John Keim, NFL Nation Washington reporter

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you very much, sir, but I don't believe this was the roundtable discussion I heard about on The Grant And Danny Show yesterday. If you've got that one, we would be much obliged.

You should also stick around since a Hawkeye, Brandon Scherff, is the topic of a huge debate at #5 and whether he's an OT or OG, etc., etc., etc.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you very much, sir, but I don't believe this was the roundtable discussion I heard about on The Grant And Danny Show yesterday. If you've got that one, we would be much obliged.

You should also stick around since a Hawkeye, Brandon Scherff, is the topic of a huge debate at #5 and whether he's an OT or OG, etc., etc., etc.

I think he will be a guard that will transition to tackle.

If you find the link, or may have found the link, to what you are looking for, quote one of my posts with the link and I will post it for you.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he will be a guard that will transition to tackle.

If you find the link, or may have found the link, to what you are looking for, quote one of my posts with the link and I will post it for you.

I believe I found it. Many thanks again.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much does the Redskins pass the ball compared to run the ball?

Scherff is a lot stronger run blocking than he is pass blocking. Actually, I think his pass blocking is even considered a weakness of his. So, if the 'Skins are going to be a pass-first team, then I wouldn't consider him.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Scherff is a lot stronger run blocking than he is pass blocking. Actually, I think his pass blocking is even considered a weakness of his. So, if the 'Skins are going to be a pass-first team, then I wouldn't consider him.

They are wanting to change to a power blocking scheme

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They would like to focus in on the passing game, given Gruden's "expertise" with it. But with our o-line, that's not possible. We have heard about Scherff's weaknesses in pass pro and we believe that taking him at #5 overall would be way too much of a reach. If he's available at say #12, that would be okay. But he can't be asked to play RT and have to handle speed rushers.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are wanting to change to a power blocking scheme

They are looking to use the power blocking scheme more but to retain aspects of the zone blocking system they previously used. But Iowajerms' question was whether we'd be passing more. If Gruden has his way, the answer is yes. The problem is that we've got no blocking outside of Trent Williams and a QB that's trying to transition to becoming a pocket passer.