• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eric Reid signed

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not too much hype from the major sports networks about him for our defense.... lack of respect once again lol

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not too much hype from the major sports networks about him for our defense.... lack of respect once again lol

I think the major sports networks are busy with something else this week. They do cover all sports.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will be the starter by week 6.

aarrgghh

Senior Junior Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no comprehension of what the new "rookie wage scale" is about I guess. Can someone explain why signing a rookie would require a negotiation now?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I have no comprehension of what the new "rookie wage scale" is about I guess. Can someone explain why signing a rookie would require a negotiation now?

Just off the top of my head: I'd imagine they'd hammer out all the clauses (there are a ton like what happens if they ride a motorcycle, get arrested, etc) & possibly put. incentives that could void his deal sooner, etc.

It probably isn't as much as it used to be, but I imagine there's still some wiggle room.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Here's an article from Andrew Brandt outlining it (I assume, I've only read the first few paragraphs).

For anyone unfamiliar with Brandt, he's a former agent and former VP of the Packers where he was in charge of contract negotiations. Now he writes for SI, and is a professor of Sports Law at Wharton.

After two years, it's clear the NFL's CBA is a raw deal - 05.27.13 - SI Vault

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm failing to see the point of this article. The world was pretty much in agreement that rookie contracts had gotten out of hand. Nobody was disputing that; even in 2011. All anyone cared about was the salary cap total. But Andrew Brandt is talking about this like it's news & that it isn't what everyone wanted to happen.

There's only one paragraph that really applies to the simplicity of negotiating rookie deals now. But the issue that most players seem to have, according to what I've read, is that the money saved by not signing ridiculous rookie contracts isn't going to the mid-level guys, but being put towards the top players.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm failing to see the point of this article. The world was pretty much in agreement that rookie contracts had gotten out of hand. Nobody was disputing that; even in 2011. All anyone cared about was the salary cap total. But Andrew Brandt is talking about this like it's news & that it isn't what everyone wanted to happen.

The point is the vets were expecting to get paid more when they put the rookie salary cap in. Instead there are a couple of big FA splashes but most of the vets have to settle for a 1 year deal for cheap or wait for an injury to happen so a spot opens up. The money has gone to the QB's who were already the highest paid position.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
But the issue that most players seem to have, according to what I've read, is that the money saved by not signing ridiculous rookie contracts isn't going to the mid-level guys, but being put towards the top players.

I'd be interested to see if the numbers support that. It seems to directly contradict this article, but I say "seems" because I don't know what percentage of the cap is being taken up by the top guys:

NFL - Tight cap limiting $6 million-a-year players - ESPN

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd be interested to see if the numbers support that. It seems to directly contradict this article, but I say "seems" because I don't know what percentage of the cap is being taken up by the top guys:

NFL - Tight cap limiting $6 million-a-year players - ESPN

I think the articles can be viewed as supporting each other. The $6M per year players are being limited because the cap isn't increasing, but also because the savings from rookie contracts is going to be big name players like Rodgers and Flacco.

I mean, the Packers gave Rodgers a fat new contract, then cut Desmond Bishop...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think the articles can be viewed as supporting each other. The $6M per year players are being limited because the cap isn't increasing, but also because the savings from rookie contracts is going to be big name players like Rodgers and Flacco.

I mean, the Packers gave Rodgers a fat new contract, then cut Desmond Bishop...

You're right about that as it pertains to the top QBs. In 2006, the top QB contracts were taking up 13.5, 12.7, 12.3 percent of the cap, etc. Now they're taking up 16.9, 16.2, 14.1 percent of the cap. It's about a 3.5 percent increase of the portion QBs are taking up.

However, I think the decrease of top-pick QB rookie contracts more than makes up that difference. Consider that Stafford & Bradford are 2 of the top paid QBs in the NFL, and Cam Newton is only making 6 million this year. Top QBs are getting about 4.3 million dollars more compare to the percentage they got in '06, but Cam is making 14.8 million less than Matt Stafford this year. And this doesn't just apply to QBs.

Also, QBs would have started to take up a larger portion of the salary cap regardless of how high or low the cap became. If rookies still had obscene contracts, the top QBs would probably still be taking up 12-16 percent of the cap. That's just a matter of the NFL becoming more of a passing league. At the same time, running backs' salaries have plummeted against the cap.

Last edited by a moderator:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You're right about that as it pertains to the top QBs. In 2006, the top QB contracts were taking up 13.5, 12.7, 12.3 percent of the cap, etc. Now they're taking up 16.9, 16.2, 14.1 percent of the cap. It's about a 3.5 percent increase of the portion QBs are taking up.

However, I think the decrease of top-pick QB rookie contracts more than makes up that difference. Consider that Stafford & Bradford are 2 of the top paid QBs in the NFL, and Cam Newton is only making 6 million this year. Top QBs are getting about 4.3 million dollars more compare to the percentage they got in '06, but Cam is making 14.8 million less than Matt Stafford this year. And this doesn't just apply to QBs.

Also, QBs would have started to take up a larger portion of the salary cap regardless of how high or low the cap became. If rookies still had obscene contracts, the top QBs would probably still be taking up 12-16 percent of the cap. That's just a matter of the NFL becoming more of a passing league. At the same time, running backs' salaries have plummeted against the cap.

I disagree that the rookie contracts "make up" for the absurd salaries the top QBs are getting. Those contracts only last 3 years if the QB plays well. Then they can sign extensions. And it isn't just QBs, it's the elite players at every position. We have just assumed that many decisions this offseason by the Niners have been related to re-upping with Kaep and Aldon. This is how moderate to good starters end up getting priced out (see Whitner, Donte & McDonald, Ray). There's a reason that guys like Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett signed one year contracts: They are average to good players in a league that has become about the elite and the young.

Here's a pretty good article from mid-February by Ross Tucker addressing the issue.

No Middle Class

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Let's look at defensive players:

In 2007, Freeney signed a 6-year 72 million dollar contract & was the top paid defensive player in the league. That was 11% of the 109 million dollar salary cap (based on 72 / 6).

Mario Williams' 6-year 100 million dollar deal per year is 13.9% of the 120 million cap last year, so those top contracts have gone up as well (not by as much as QBs).

Is this because rooks aren't taking as much money or is it because pass-rushers' values have gone up compared to other positions?

What about LT's? Joe Thomas signed for 12 million per (10% of the cap). Duane Brown signed for 8.9 a season last year, which was 7.4% of the cap. Jake Long signed for 8.5 a season. Orlando Pace took up 8.8% of the cap in '05. However, Ogden got 11.7 of the 2000 cap when he signed a top extension.

I'll try to get to ILBs & guards later...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I disagree that the rookie contracts "make up" for the absurd salaries the top QBs are getting. Those contracts only last 3 years if the QB plays well. Then they can sign extensions.

You may be right about that. The numbers I'm finding on the top players seem higher than they were 8 years ago as a percentage of the cap. I haven't gotten to ILBs, DTs & guards though...

One thing to consider is that if a top pick is only average to good he won't get a huge deal; as opposed to the Jamarcus Russells, David Carrs & Courtney Browns of the world (or even the Darren McFaddens). Those guys can get cut too, but they still got huge up-front money.

I'm starting to think you're right about this, but I want to see how much the top-paid players at other positions make.

Last edited by a moderator:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Let's look at defensive players:

In 2007, Freeney signed a 6-year 72 million dollar contract & was the top paid defensive player in the league. That was 11% of the 109 million dollar salary cap (based on 72 / 6).

Mario Williams' 6-year 100 million dollar deal per year is 13.9% of the 120 million cap last year, so those top contracts have gone up as well (not by as much as QBs).

Is this because rooks aren't taking as much money or is it because pass-rushers' values have gone up compared to other positions?

What about LT's? Joe Thomas signed for 12 million per (10% of the cap). Duane Brown signed for 8.9 a season last year, which was 7.4% of the cap. Jake Long signed for 8.5 a season. Orlando Pace took up 8.8% of the cap in '05. However, Ogden got 11.7 of the 2000 cap when he signed a top extension.

I'll try to get to ILBs & guards later...

I think one of the flaws with your OL analysis is that Joe Thomas was (is) considered the best LT in the league. Jake Long is coming off an injury riddled season where he didn't perform like an elite LT.

If Joe Thomas were to sign a new contract this year, he would get a raise. That's how the game works.

I think something else you have to look at in this study is how many of what Tucker called the middle class contracts there are. He put that at the 1.5M to 5M range. I would imagine you see a lot less of those and a lot more rookie contracts, specifically rookie minimum contracts (look at our backup lineman last year, and that was without a huge contract at QB).