• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Emmanuel Sanders signed 3yr/$15m

BobGnarly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

HOF-ELWAY-7

Speed Kills
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I like this signing. Seems extemporaneous anyway, and then on top of that, Denver's rewarding the shadyness of Sanders' agent.

Not for the kind of money the Broncos gave him. It looks like the Broncos expect him to take Decks spot. I doubt the Broncos care too much about what the agent is up to as long as it doesn't adversely affect them. It looks as though the agent didn't operate in good faith with those other teams which will make it very difficult to work with those teams in the future.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agents don't always act in good faith. Dumerville's probably didn't. It's frustrating to see, but as I understand it, this guy has once before lost his certification to represent NFL players. It's not the Broncos fault. They didn't do anything dishonest. Sanders would be smart to look for a better agent, though.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I have been reading there were some teams that had Sanders above Decker on their FA list for WR's. Obviously he hasn't had quite the success on the field but the potential for great success is there.

Also have to remember in that 3 year/$15 million contract is the fact he is replacing two players not just one. Since he is a punt/kick returner he is taking Holiday's place as well.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting that if those teams had him above Decker, why didn't they sign him? In this case, I wonder if that bit of info came from the agent. If anything, maybe he was seen as a better value?

Anyway, I still think the signing was unnecessary, but I'm beginning to at least see the method behind Elway's madness:

"New Broncos receiver Emmanuel Sanders forced 15 missed tackles last season, or one every 4.47 catches. That was the fourth-best rate in the NFL. The team's website says Sanders' speed and elusiveness will make him "particularly dangerous on the bubble screens that the Broncos love to run."

One of Seattle's strengths in defending the pass was tackling at the point of reception. They didn't allow much YAC to teams last year, including us. It seems Sanders is here to try to break that up more.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting that if those teams had him above Decker, why didn't they sign him? In this case, I wonder if that bit of info came from the agent. If anything, maybe he was seen as a better value?

Anyway, I still think the signing was unnecessary, but I'm beginning to at least see the method behind Elway's madness:

"New Broncos receiver Emmanuel Sanders forced 15 missed tackles last season, or one every 4.47 catches. That was the fourth-best rate in the NFL. The team's website says Sanders' speed and elusiveness will make him "particularly dangerous on the bubble screens that the Broncos love to run."

One of Seattle's strengths in defending the pass was tackling at the point of reception. They didn't allow much YAC to teams last year, including us. It seems Sanders is here to try to break that up more.

"@VicLombardi: Most people in the NFL thought Sanders would command $7-8 per year. Broncos never considered him a real option. They're elated."

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 6m
The fact Sanders is being introduced by Elway on a Sunday news conference tells you what they think of him. He was #1 on their FA WR list.

I think Sanders offers a different skill set that the Broncos just didn't have last year in the receiver area. Decker was great obviously but he was one of those good at everything but master of none. Sanders has that elite speed and break tackle ability that the team was missing beyond just DT last year. Also have to remember that Seattle struggled most against quick speedy receivers last year not the physical ones. Look at last year going up against Bolden for San Fran. They shut him down for the most part.

I for one like the signing. Money was a little more than I thought but then again still haven't seen the details of the contract so it could be structured a lot like the others in the Broncos can get out of it after 1 or 2 years if he doesn't work out.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I have been reading there were some teams that had Sanders above Decker on their FA list for WR's. Obviously he hasn't had quite the success on the field but the potential for great success is there.

Also have to remember in that 3 year/$15 million contract is the fact he is replacing two players not just one. Since he is a punt/kick returner he is taking Holiday's place as well.
Yeah I like the signing and think Sanders has the potential to be a real deep threat/ slot guy. He did have a break out yr last yr really and he seems very excited to get to work with Manning and also feels he can get better as a wr with Mannings expierience. I wonder what # he`ll wear since DT has 88 locked up. Anyway, I think all the negative reaction to Sanders signing has a good chance of being negated once he becomes a 1000 yd/ 10 td guy this season:suds: I certainly will be rooting for his succsess and am excited to see what he can do in this offense.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I like the signing and think Sanders has the potential to be a real deep threat/ slot guy. He did have a break out yr last yr really and he seems very excited to get to work with Manning and also feels he can get better as a wr with Mannings expierience. I wonder what # he`ll wear since DT has 88 locked up. Anyway, I think all the negative reaction to Sanders signing has a good chance of being negated once he becomes a 1000 yd/ 10 td guy this season:suds: I certainly will be rooting for his succsess and am excited to see what he can do in this offense.

I love how people think Sanders had a "break out year" last season... He only produced his "best" numbers so far due to the simple fact that it was his first full season. Don't believe everything you read.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how people think Sanders had a "break out year" last season... He only produced his "best" numbers so far due to the simple fact that it was his first full season. Don't believe everything you read.
Yeah I should of said "break out Yr" for him. It was by no means a spectacular yr. Just a sign that he may be starting to mature and improve. Maybe Denver is catching him at a good time in his development. Ya never know for sure lets "Face" it:suds:

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Including this post, it seems, as he also logged 16 games played in 2012-2013. Perhaps you meant that last season was his first as a starter?

Either way, the fact Pittsburgh moved him up the depth chart suggests that he was developing positively. Now if you have information that suggests otherwise, I'd be glad to see it. Players in general have "break-out years" for a variety of reasons. Sometimes it's a QB change, sometimes it's a shift up the depth chart (which appears to be the case in Sanders). Sometimes it's the "A-Ha!" point when a player finally "gets it". Usually, a player has a breakout when he starts getting more touches, and/or starts doing more with those touches. In Sanders' case, he got significantly more targets last season.

Now, that said he didn't have many more yards this season than he did last season. So to say last season was a "breakout year" is still a stretch, but not for the reason you think it is.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hear #87 is open :whistle:

Too soon???

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Including this post, it seems, as he also logged 16 games played in 2012-2013. Perhaps you meant that last season was his first as a starter?

Either way, the fact Pittsburgh moved him up the depth chart suggests that he was developing positively. Now if you have information that suggests otherwise, I'd be glad to see it. Players in general have "break-out years" for a variety of reasons. Sometimes it's a QB change, sometimes it's a shift up the depth chart (which appears to be the case in Sanders). Sometimes it's the "A-Ha!" point when a player finally "gets it". Usually, a player has a breakout when he starts getting more touches, and/or starts doing more with those touches. In Sanders' case, he got significantly more targets last season.

Now, that said he didn't have many more yards this season than he did last season. So to say last season was a "breakout year" is still a stretch, but not for the reason you think it is.

No that's not what I meant. You got the last part right, and I should have clarified that it was a "stretch" to call it that.

You are right, he did in fact log 16 games. I remembered differently I guess. But in 2012-2013 he was a starter (WR2), and "technically" played a full season, but what you won't hear is that he did suffer tweaks (or was it concussion symptoms? :scratch:) which hampered him in a few games. I believe he was a gametime decision for more than a couple games that year. Last season he didn't show up on any of the early-week injury reports before they had to declare the official reports. So he was at full strength during a make-or-break season and only managed to compile 120 more yards than the year before. Not the production we ideally wanted, so it made him replaceable on paper. It's the situation of why resign him when we can fill his shoes with a younger, less expensive alternative. Also, not that any of you care, but the Steelers need to add height to their WR corps. Every starting WR LY was around 5'11".

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking the signing in any way. I believe Sanders is a good playmaker and has the talent to make a difference in any offense. Like many of you have stated, he has great speed and agility which is perfect for the "dink & dunk" offense. He should thrive if he stays healthy! Our O-line has been in shambles for the last couple of years so his stats could be viewed as skewed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wedgie

My 8yr old me would love 59yo me.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought last year, you guys were first in YAC? Meh, at my age things get fuzzy.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lot of money for a guy that cant stay healthy. I expected alot from him this year, and he didnt do it.

He was ahead of antonio brown on the steelers depth chart at one point. Everyone talked him up. It never materialized......

but there was the buzz with new england last year, and buzz this season..........im missing something i guess.......

he will be a star though with manning, everyone is

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agents don't always act in good faith. Dumerville's probably didn't. It's frustrating to see, but as I understand it, this guy has once before lost his certification to represent NFL players. It's not the Broncos fault. They didn't do anything dishonest. Sanders would be smart to look for a better agent, though.[/QUOTE]

You have to be kidding! The shady agent just got him 15 million! He was offered 2 million last year and caught a handfull of balls? Take the money and run.....

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agents don't always act in good faith. Dumerville's probably didn't. It's frustrating to see, but as I understand it, this guy has once before lost his certification to represent NFL players. It's not the Broncos fault. They didn't do anything dishonest. Sanders would be smart to look for a better agent, though.[/QUOTE]

You have to be kidding! The shady agent just got him 15 million! He was offered 2 million last year and caught a handfull of balls? Take the money and run.....

67 is a mere "hand full"? Perhaps you catch an unusually large number of balls.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
67 is a mere "hand full"? Perhaps you catch an unusually large number of balls.

He is obviosly good enough that the 2 best teams in AFC tried to sign him(you succeeded) What I'm saying is he just got a huge increase in pay. More than I would have expected. That probably means that shady agent did a reasonable job? (for his client) I'm not going to try to turn this into a discussion of whether Denver overpaid. That IS a big enough contract increase to thank his agent, IMHO

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought this was a pretty good piece on how Sanders figures to fit into the offense. Always thought that he was pretty underrated in Pittsburgh, where he was overshadowed, first by Mike Wallace and then by Antonio Brown: The case for Sanders and deep thoughts - Denver Broncos Blog - ESPN

Excerpt:
"Thomas is going to get the No. 1 attention from opposing defenses. He will most often get the better corners with plenty of help sent that way as well.

Tight end Julius Thomas will pull plenty of attention his way, as well, simply because there are so few linebackers or safeties who can match up with the Broncos tight end when he’s locked in and disciplined in his routes. "

That will leave Sanders in plenty of single-coverage situations down the field. Sanders makes tacklers miss, especially immediately after the catch, and he will be one of the Broncos' best receivers in getting off the jam at the line of scrimmage, something which vexed Decker at times, especially in his one-catch Super Bowl.