• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ellington

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This kind of bothers me:

The worry with Ellington’s size was his durability. During his rookie campaign, Ellington injured his ankle against New Orleans and missed a few weeks. He had a hamstring injury leading up to week 17, but played anyway. This offseason, Ellington continued to be sidelined by a hamstring injury. Quite simply if Ellington cannot stay on the field, he cannot make an impact.

Two issues. First, Ellington's "durability" issues have had nothing to do with his size. Hamstring injuries are common in WRs of all sizes; it's a product of overuse, not of getting beaten up. Second, Ellington doesn't have poor size, as such. He's short. But packing 200 pounds into a 5'9" frame actually makes him a solidly built player at the WR position. One that I wouldn't worry about getting beaten up more than I would say a 6'2", 210 pound player. It's funny to me that everyone says he's small when he's actually quite muscular and powerful.

I liked what we saw of Ellington in limited action as a WR. Hopefully he gets more of a chance this year.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This kind of bothers me:

The worry with Ellington’s size was his durability. During his rookie campaign, Ellington injured his ankle against New Orleans and missed a few weeks. He had a hamstring injury leading up to week 17, but played anyway. This offseason, Ellington continued to be sidelined by a hamstring injury. Quite simply if Ellington cannot stay on the field, he cannot make an impact.

Two issues. First, Ellington's "durability" issues have had nothing to do with his size. Hamstring injuries are common in WRs of all sizes; it's a product of overuse, not of getting beaten up. Second, Ellington doesn't have poor size, as such. He's short. But packing 200 pounds into a 5'9" frame actually makes him a solidly built player at the WR position. One that I wouldn't worry about getting beaten up more than I would say a 6'2", 210 pound player. It's funny to me that everyone says he's small when he's actually quite muscular and powerful.

I liked what we saw of Ellington in limited action as a WR. Hopefully he gets more of a chance this year.

He made an accurate comment about harbaugh not playing rookies. Ellington looked pretty good when given the opportunity

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He made an accurate comment about harbaugh not playing rookies. Ellington looked pretty good when given the opportunity

So did Patton the year before. It will be interesting to see who wins that battle.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This kind of bothers me:

I think he'll most likely get cut this year anyway.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is unlikely Ellington gets cut
Ellington's production has ben minimal and guys like him are a dime a dozen so I think they might go with a money-saver. Who do you see as the 5 receivers they keep?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ellington's production has ben minimal and guys like him are a dime a dozen so I think they might go with a money-saver. Who do you see as the 5 receivers they keep?

Unfortunately, all of the 49ers rookie WR production has been minimal under Harbaugh. Harbaugh and Morton failed to develop and utlilize rookie WR talent. Ellington also plays special teams which is a boost for him. Ellington did look good near the end of the season in his limited snaps. Couldn't say who the top five are. Torrey Smith and Boldin are locks and I think Ellington makes it but beyond those three so hard to tell right now.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, all of the 49ers rookie WR production has been minimal under Harbaugh. Harbaugh and Morton failed to develop and utlilize rookie WR talent. Ellington also plays special teams which is a boost for him. Ellington did look good near the end of the season in his limited snaps. Couldn't say who the top five are. Torrey Smith and Boldin are locks and I think Ellington makes it but beyond those three so hard to tell right now.
Agreed. I just took a look at the receivers on the roster; a very unimpressive group after Smith and Boldin.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

There is virtually no chance Ellington gets cut. He showed well as a return man, despite having limited experience in that role in college (on punt returns, anyway; he returned a number of kickoffs). And although he only had six receptions, he flashed when he had opportunities. Three of his twelve touches went for TDs. He was an upside pick, given his college basketball career. And his cap his it $628K. Factoring in the dead money, it would cost the team money to replace him with a guy who makes $435K (that difference between those contracts accounts for roughly 0.14% of this year's cap). Not to mention that we only have four receivers on the roster who have caught an NFL pass, Simpson didn't play last year, and Patton has had less of an impact than Ellington.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is virtually no chance Ellington gets cut. He showed well as a return man, despite having limited experience in that role in college (on punt returns, anyway; he returned a number of kickoffs). And although he only had six receptions, he flashed when he had opportunities. Three of his twelve touches went for TDs. He was an upside pick, given his college basketball career. And his cap his it $628K. Factoring in the dead money, it would cost the team money to replace him with a guy who makes $435K (that difference between those contracts accounts for roughly 0.14% of this year's cap). Not to mention that we only have four receivers on the roster who have caught an NFL pass, Simpson didn't play last year, and Patton has had less of an impact than Ellington.
Good point. I was stunned when I saw the dearth of wide receiver talent on the roster just now.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Yeah, that comment was spot on. And Harbaugh's group just didn't seem to know how to use speed/quickness. They just wanted to bludgeon other teams. I'm all for that as a primary strategy, but if you can't throw other things at a defense, you're too easy to defend. Roman's use of LMJ, and particularly the screen game, drove me crazy. He'd trot LMJ out there, the ball would go to LMJ almost any time he came in, it would go outside as either an off-tackle run or a screen pass, and the D would stop it. Roman would say, "See, those plays just don't work." He wouldn't bring LMJ back on the field for four weeks, then he'd do the same thing all over again.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that LMJ is a great RB by any means. But no one is going to succeed if you completely telegraph what you are going to do every time that player comes into the game. We really needed LMJ's speed in 2013 and 2014, and we just didn't even try to use him.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I misspoke. We have five players who have caught an NFL pass. I think I overlooked Torrey Smith. Regardless, Ellington is our fourth most "experienced" receiver in terms of receptions.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I just took a look at the receivers on the roster; a very unimpressive group after Smith and Boldin.

I think Patton will be battling Simpson for a spot. Simpson brings another WR with speed. Seems like a good guy, it comes down to whether he can stay focused and out of trouble. WR coach has been talking up Patton though. DeAndrew White was the standout WR in OTAs. We will have to wait and see if that continues after the pads come on. Smelter I think will get stashed. It is one of the Baalke redshirt type picks and they are intrigued by his physical tools.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think Patton will be battling Simpson for a spot. Simpson brings another WR with speed. Seems like a good guy, it comes down to whether he can stay focused and out of trouble. WR coach has been talking up Patton though. DeAndrew White was the standout WR in OTAs. We will have to wait and see if that continues after the pads come on. Smelter I think will get stashed. It is one of the Baalke redshirt type picks and they are intrigued by his physical tools.

I wouldn't read much into any talking, up or down, that went on during OTAs and mini camp. Patton needs to step up to retain his spot on the roster. White and Simpson are both really pushing him for a spot, and I think there's a fair chance we only keep five WRs on the 53.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WRs i think make the team in no order are:

Boldin
Smith
Ellington
Patton
White
Smelter

PS
Anderson

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WRs i think make the team in no order are:

Boldin
Smith
Ellington
Patton
White
Smelter

PS
Anderson

Not sure the team keeps 6 WRs. I see Patton, White, and Simpson battling for a spot or two. Patton doesn't play ST, so he needs to have a breakout year going into third season. White looked real good in OTAs, but they are just OTAs. Still have to see if White looks good after the pads come on. Simpson is a deep threat and dynamic receiver. Comes down to whether he can keep his sh_t together and stay out of trouble.