• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Elden ring is out and I played for 2 hours...

Bedlam131

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and it SUCKED!!! designed for xbox geeks and not kb/mouse. controls were horrid, slow, and clunky. had to right click /back to get out of each layer of the menu. No map, no quests with icons where to go, just run around and try not to die in the start area to 3 big ass mobs that 1 hit you.

Pretty much this, it could use a much more robust key mapping system for KB/Mouse users. I died reapeatedly trying to use the standard setup. Got it as close as I could to my Valheim setup and i am doing much better now, the ingrained reflexes are kicking in. Wish I could keymap "run" though and I wish using the move back key did not turn me around and put my back to the mob.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still on my first play through, I've put in 90+ hours and I'm level 165 and just beat Maleina recently. I love the lack of hand holding and the huge open world with something seemingly at every corner. I love the feeling of beating a tough boss and haven't felt that in a game in awhile. I never played a dark souls game, but i took the time to learn about this game. I also love running to get some talisman or whatever and running back to try to not get killed in a tough area. I love the freedom of trying different builds and see what fits for me. How many games let you change your stats mid game to give you something you want, not many. I hate the platforming. I love the fact that I can comeback later to that boss when I'm stronger. Not many games let you do that too. This one of the best games I have ever played, it's not ground beaking but it does a lot of things great.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RDR2 is one of my biggest disappointments in gaming. I think its a boring slog. It is an interesting world but man do I not enjoy playing it at all. Once you get into the missions it no longer feels like a world anymore. Just follow the straight line and dont mess up.

I also have never been able to get into Skyrim but thats partially because I destroyed Oblivion and that was enough to satisfy me. Skyrim is a much better game than RDR2 from what Ive played, though.
I got into arguments with people that think RDR2 is a masterpiece, it's GTA in 1860s, an open world game with linear missions. I was so bored with the game I bought day one that I didn't even bother finishing it.

Bedlam131

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still on my first play through, I've put in 90+ hours and I'm level 165 and just beat Maleina recently. I love the lack of hand holding and the huge open world with something seemingly at every corner. I love the feeling of beating a tough boss and haven't felt that in a game in awhile. I never played a dark souls game, but i took the time to learn about this game. I also love running to get some talisman or whatever and running back to try to not get killed in a tough area. I love the freedom of trying different builds and see what fits for me. How many games let you change your stats mid game to give you something you want, not many. I hate the platforming. I love the fact that I can comeback later to that boss when I'm stronger. Not many games let you do that too. This one of the best games I have ever played, it's not ground beaking but it does a lot of things great.
I am with on this as well and feel much the same way.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got into arguments with people that think RDR2 is a masterpiece, it's GTA in 1860s, an open world game with linear missions. I was so bored with the game I bought day one that I didn't even bother finishing it.
It seems to be they made a fantastic world and a separate fantastic story and forgot to make a game. Even in GTA if I get bored I can steal cars and crash into things. Cause all sorts of mayhem quickly.

I'm leery of the time commitment on Elden Ring. I've played through Demons Souls, most of Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Dark Souls III and combined thats about 125 hours. Maybe a little more. I'm hearing people are spending almost that much on Elden Ring alone and it sounds like it hits a lot of the same beats. This reminds me of Tool releasing Fear Inoculum a couple of years back and all of the songs are 10-20 minutes long but mostly still sound like the same songs they've been doing.

Although I did spend 65 hours getting the Plat for Ghost of Tsushima and thats pretty much Assassin's Creed and Witcher in a Japanese blender.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love this game. I played Sekiro and this is infinitely more palatable.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game is bonkers. I played for about 4 hours and I've been introduced to a ton of mechanics but still feel weak AF. First treasure chest I got trapped me on another part of the map and I ended up sneaking past and using my horse to run around until I found some sort of save point that let me fast travel again. I picked up a couple of spirits but only recently ran into the npc that let's me use them. Got an ability to graft stuff on weapons but doesn't match my build. Also still just have the starting weapons four hours in.

The exploration is a massive upgrade but the game itself I'm not so sure about. The larger enemies feel high level right from the start which just makes me want to spam spells and that isn't as much fun

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game is bonkers. I played for about 4 hours and I've been introduced to a ton of mechanics but still feel weak AF. First treasure chest I got trapped me on another part of the map and I ended up sneaking past and using my horse to run around until I found some sort of save point that let me fast travel again. I picked up a couple of spirits but only recently ran into the npc that let's me use them. Got an ability to graft stuff on weapons but doesn't match my build. Also still just have the starting weapons four hours in.

The exploration is a massive upgrade but the game itself I'm not so sure about. The larger enemies feel high level right from the start which just makes me want to spam spells and that isn't as much fun

I actually think the enemies difficulty works very well as you level up. Different areas of the map have significantly more difficult enemies.

Early on I played like I was a serial killer, hiding in the woods foraging and killing small animals with the occasional real enemy. Levelled up nicely until it was time to graduate to real combat.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think the enemies difficulty works very well as you level up. Different areas of the map have significantly more difficult enemies.

Early on I played like I was a serial killer, hiding in the woods foraging and killing small animals with the occasional real enemy. Levelled up nicely until it was time to graduate to real combat.
Only about 8 hours of play but honestly I kinda hate the combat. I don't like anything about the horse combat. Both bosses I've played I ended up throwing wolves out to tank and just sort of got enough licks in to take the boss down.

Honestly not even sure I want to continue playing

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved the game until they weakened my build, spent all that time building up my build to have it weakened, is some bs.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't have time to figure a game like this out lol. I played it for a few hrs and blew it off.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved the game until they weakened my build, spent all that time building up my build to have it weakened, is some bs.
Sounds pretty normal for games that are built around streamers. I had a lot of the builds that games like Borderlands 2 and Destiny content creators were saying were OP and then they'd get nuked.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I put 30 hours into the game just because I really wanted to give the game a fair shake and sometimes From games take awhile to grow on me.

So my journey started Prisoner class because I heard magic was good and I figured the high dex/int split would give me a good choice to see how things broke. Died right away to some ogre looking thing near the beach. Went to the right and got teleported to a high level area. Searched it awhile but didnt find anything so I fast traveled back.

Went up to a cave and fought some wolves and died to the miniboss in the cave before beating it on my third try. Powered my way north to Margit. Beat him the third time with summons. Went through about 1/2 of Stormveil castle massively under-leveled. Looked online and it said to head South to Castle Morne. Did that. Made it to that boss with help from a video and got completely wrecked. Switched to magic and completely wrecked the boss. So I was Int build from that point on. Naturally the boss dropped a greatsword. Couldnt use it.

Went back through Stormveil Castle, still kinda massively underleveled. Beat Godrick with a story summon after about 8 tries. Went north and found my first catacomb. Realized that I probably skipped too much and went back down South and totally cleared the map.

Went East and got completely wrecked by a Bear on crack. It looked like the Bear could get anywhere in the area so I left.

Went back up north to Carian Study Hall. Struggled with the NPC there. Went to Ainsel River. Whooped up on some ants. Got wrecked by the boss there. Went back to Carian Study Hall. Beat the NPC and then farmed up about 10 levels. (so much for the open world). Went back to Ainsel River and whooped up on the boss. It dropped something I couldn't use and the area didnt lead anywhere from what I could tell. Went to the West. Found what appeared to be the next area but it was locked. Corpse with a note had a map that was super cryptic. Followed it to the best of my ability and it led to a dragon that seemed to be perfectly matched to counter by build. I noped out of there. Picked up a good Dex weapon but my stats were all wrong for it. Found a cave that looked like it might link up to Ainsel River. It didnt but it had a ton of crafting supplies. Fought a Crystaline boss that was near immune to most of my damage. Literally landed a dozen backstabs on it and couldnt even knock a third of its health off. F; that.

Fast traveled to the East where I was teleported in the beginning, found some spells that seemed cool. Went back to the beginning and f'd up the Tree Sentinel first try. It dropped something I couldn't use.

I dont remember what my character looks like and barely know anything about the story. Not a single good boss fight in almost 30 hours.

I'm going to play something else now

Think McFly Think

Unaware and Oblivious Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I put 30 hours into the game just because I really wanted to give the game a fair shake and sometimes From games take awhile to grow on me.

So my journey started Prisoner class because I heard magic was good and I figured the high dex/int split would give me a good choice to see how things broke. Died right away to some ogre looking thing near the beach. Went to the right and got teleported to a high level area. Searched it awhile but didnt find anything so I fast traveled back.

Went up to a cave and fought some wolves and died to the miniboss in the cave before beating it on my third try. Powered my way north to Margit. Beat him the third time with summons. Went through about 1/2 of Stormveil castle massively under-leveled. Looked online and it said to head South to Castle Morne. Did that. Made it to that boss with help from a video and got completely wrecked. Switched to magic and completely wrecked the boss. So I was Int build from that point on. Naturally the boss dropped a greatsword. Couldnt use it.

Went back through Stormveil Castle, still kinda massively underleveled. Beat Godrick with a story summon after about 8 tries. Went north and found my first catacomb. Realized that I probably skipped too much and went back down South and totally cleared the map.

Went East and got completely wrecked by a Bear on crack. It looked like the Bear could get anywhere in the area so I left.

Went back up north to Carian Study Hall. Struggled with the NPC there. Went to Ainsel River. Whooped up on some ants. Got wrecked by the boss there. Went back to Carian Study Hall. Beat the NPC and then farmed up about 10 levels. (so much for the open world). Went back to Ainsel River and whooped up on the boss. It dropped something I couldn't use and the area didnt lead anywhere from what I could tell. Went to the West. Found what appeared to be the next area but it was locked. Corpse with a note had a map that was super cryptic. Followed it to the best of my ability and it led to a dragon that seemed to be perfectly matched to counter by build. I noped out of there. Picked up a good Dex weapon but my stats were all wrong for it. Found a cave that looked like it might link up to Ainsel River. It didnt but it had a ton of crafting supplies. Fought a Crystaline boss that was near immune to most of my damage. Literally landed a dozen backstabs on it and couldnt even knock a third of its health off. F; that.

Fast traveled to the East where I was teleported in the beginning, found some spells that seemed cool. Went back to the beginning and f'd up the Tree Sentinel first try. It dropped something I couldn't use.

I dont remember what my character looks like and barely know anything about the story. Not a single good boss fight in almost 30 hours.

I'm going to play something else now
I tried so many times to get into that game to no avail.

Think McFly Think

Unaware and Oblivious Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as the kinda sub discussion about RDR2, I achieved 100 percent completion in that game, and I’m never playing it again. Lol

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tried so many times to get into that game to no avail.
I would probably describe Elden Ring as a puzzle game exterior with a Souls game interior. I got stuck occasionally in Dark Souls 1 (although never in Bloodborne or DS3) but that game was still much tighter even with a master key. I'd say the game would be still worth it if I liked the Souls game underneath the puzzle.

I don't. Im in an area called 'Raya Lucaria Academy' and its a legacy dungeon. It looks like a Bloodborne level. Very dense. Secret rooms. Jumping on rooftops. Really fun (although also really familiar repeating many tricks from Bloodborne and Anor Londo). Its enemies are ass. Lots of magic spells that require specific timing and melee enemies that spazz out or charge quickly when they get near you. There is a miniboss wolf with a sword and magic and it flies around the screen way, way too fast too be fun. There is a section that teleports you to a higher level area...because the game thinks that is fun for some reason. Fought a double boss there that I wasnt even remotely equipped to handle. Not fun.

Elden Ring is twice as long as it needs to be and the enemies are scaled harder than they need to be because of it. Everything else is nice but I can't get around that as a core issue with the game. At least for me. Its a game for people without jobs or people who look everything up online. I think a lot of critics will give this game of the year because they probably only played half of the game. I can't imagine dropping 130+ hours on this to beat all of the double and super speedy bosses.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did put some more time in this and the one thing I definitely got wrong was how good melee is. With magic builds, you have to split up your stats a lot and fill your magic meter both after you summon and after you run out of magic and cycling between health estrus and magic estus in the heat of battle is a slow process. They buffed STR weapons at some point, too, so just dump all your points in STR and Vigor and it's just quick and easy way to wreck most things in the game. Jump attacks are also overpowered and stun on a regular basis.

I do still disagree with a lot of the design decisions