• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft pick injuries

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard today that BB doesn't want to take any chances with Bentley or Sam who is working out. These guys may be the future of the LB corps.

So how does that effect this draft?
Do we draft according to current need or do we assume any of last years draft sticks?
Preseason it's easy. Let them compete.....

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't affect the draft. When I was working at Gillette several years ago, Nick Caserio told me that the Patriots go into the draft with a different outlook than any other team.

They have several boards and the critical one is the "Draft Value" board where they put the guys that have the most value to the team needs in a priority order. Rarely are any of Mayock's or Kiper's guys on this list because the Patriots are always picking 29-32.

Another board is Belichick's top 100 by priority and Caserio's top 100. Neither have anything to do with the NFL Concensus. The final board is a "Must Pick if Available" board in priority order and this is the board where the guys that were injured in college but may have NFL potential that is near future All-Pro.

The Patriots do not have 25-30 guys in the draft room during the draft. BB, Caerio, OC, DC, Scar, Fears and position coaches only. Bob and Johnathan Kraft come and go. Belichick wants only people who have studied, worked or work with and know the positions and players. The Patriots people at the draft are position ass't coaches and not staff or team employees.

Just some real interesting stuff I learned doing Environmental Health and Safety work for the Patriots insurance carrier. Spent two days on Coaches' Row and in the Team's Executive offices doing office design improvements for individuals. I actually met and talked with BB, Josh, Ivan Fears and Caserio and several others. Very intimidating for a "fan".

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't affect the draft. When I was working at Gillette several years ago, Nick Caserio told me that the Patriots go into the draft with a different outlook than any other team.

They have several boards and the critical one is the "Draft Value" board where they put the guys that have the most value to the team needs in a priority order. Rarely are any of Mayock's or Kiper's guys on this list because the Patriots are always picking 29-32.

Another board is Belichick's top 100 by priority and Caserio's top 100. Neither have anything to do with the NFL Concensus. The final board is a "Must Pick if Available" board in priority order and this is the board where the guys that were injured in college but may have NFL potential that is near future All-Pro.

The Patriots do not have 25-30 guys in the draft room during the draft. BB, Caerio, OC, DC, Scar, Fears and position coaches only. Bob and Johnathan Kraft come and go. Belichick wants only people who have studied, worked or work with and know the positions and players. The Patriots people at the draft are position ass't coaches and not staff or team employees.

Just some real interesting stuff I learned doing Environmental Health and Safety work for the Patriots insurance carrier. Spent two days on Coaches' Row and in the Team's Executive offices doing office design improvements for individuals. I actually met and talked with BB, Josh, Ivan Fears and Caserio and several others. Very intimidating for a "fan".

I would think teams do something similar to this might not be exact but it seems assigning values and having more than one board would make sense. I don't know just seems at this level teams would be smarter than using a singular board. Seem there is a huge advantage to this set up, I mean three or slots before the pick they can look at all the board and decide on a pecking order. Thus giving them time to discuss trade options should they go that route. If they know full well when the clock starts what player they want they can use all that time to discuss option with other teams, unless I am wrong I think you can only discuss trade options while on the clock?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think teams do something similar to this might not be exact but it seems assigning values and having more than one board would make sense. I don't know just seems at this level teams would be smarter than using a singular board. Seem there is a huge advantage to this set up, I mean three or slots before the pick they can look at all the board and decide on a pecking order. Thus giving them time to discuss trade options should they go that route. If they know full well when the clock starts what player they want they can use all that time to discuss option with other teams, unless I am wrong I think you can only discuss trade options while on the clock?

This is why the patriotshave never allowed a camera of any kind in their draft room which was Nick Caserio's office when I was there.

Historically, teams have sent scouts or coaches to private workouts and filmed potential draftees. Today, alot of the agents don't allow cameras at the workouts and the Combines is just a flash of the story. The one thing above all that the Patriots do is watch every game of every kid that they have interest in and the coaching staff tears him to shreds. They rarely look at the positives. The value comes from the negatives. Then there is the interview.

Can the kid be coached?
Is he willing to take criticism?
How defensive is he to criticism?
How hard is willing to work to improve?
Where is his ego?
Did he or does he have an injury? Who did the surgery, if any? Is he doing anything strenuous like running up and down the stadium stairs?

Often, the Patriots have their eyes on a kid and are willing to take him in the 3rd round or later. You have to understand that the Patriots have this kid in the top 100 college players available but won't take him before his value, regarless if there's a run on his position.

If they have a kid in the 2nd and he's still available in the 3rd, they will call his coaches or team mates or the kid himself. They know something is wrong a will pass on him if they can't get a hint because somebody knows something and no one is biting because they don't know.

Scarneccia does the picking of the offensive line and he visits every potential choice. No one knows who he is and he just looks like an old man. He works them out and no one, not even Belichick knows what goes on. All they know is that he knows what he's doing and seems to be near 100% successful.

I'd do just about anything to be in that room for the entire draft. #1 on my Bucket List.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Often, the Patriots have their eyes on a kid and are willing to take him in the 3rd round or later. You have to understand that the Patriots have this kid in the top 100 college players available but won't take him before his value, regarless if there's a run on his position.

At the end of the day Bill always has a statement that applies to any one decision and that includes any draft pick. We make a decision the we feel is in the best interest of the team. If there's a run on a particular position the team would draft a player before they're value would dictate if (repeat after me) they feel it's in the best interest of the team.

Of course all the different value boards are referenced to ensure no other pick is of better interest to the team.