• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft Day is FINALLY Here!

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With about 2 or so days remaining before the Super Bowl I literally could not stomach any more hype and "analysis." Every possible story line had been examined and re-examined and then shuffled around and re-presented from a different perspective. Every prediction (mostly in favor of Carolina issuing a 42-10 beat down on the Broncos) had been made confidently as if the one making the prediction was the only one who had made a prediction. Every analyst thought HIS was the definitive take on the game.

And the draft is no different. Especially this year because of the Broncos QB situation. The trade rumors and draft rumors have reached levels of unmitigated idiocy. (BTW, this is why I don't really get into the draft. I am always curious about who goes where, and what kind of talent the Broncos bring in, but the dialogue going into it over-saturates the airwaves.) Post draft, people will be issuing grades before any of these new players play a single snap in the league. That's pure idiocy as well.

But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the draft. I don't scout all the players like some do, but I am generally familiar enough with them to have an idea of who the Broncos may take and what they add to our beloved team.

Some things I'm most excited about:

- The speculation is almost over. Whether the Broncos draft a QB high or trade for Kap then take a QB late or as an UDFA, we are probably (and mercifully) just a few days away from having 4 QBs on the roster and this damned speculation ending.

- High round talent. I imagine Elway will take players who will be making a large impact within their first two seasons with the team. History suggests defense, and there are a couple safeties that could really bolster their depth at that position that may be worth a 1-2 round pick.

- Late round picks. I feel like the Broncos are very good at bringing in late round talent (notice some of their later round picks who were FAs this year had NO TROUBLE finding work? I'm talking about Trevathon and Jackson, 6th and 5th rounders respectively.) I think I actually look forward to the later rounds more because I am curious what kind of steals the Broncos are going to find.

- UDFAs. This is another part of the draft I really enjoy. A lot of very talented players get passed in the draft and there may be a gem out there. The Broncos have had an UDFA make the roster almost every year and have one currently penciled in as their starting RB. There may be a guy who goes undrafted but finds himself on our practice squad and can come in next year or the year after and be a big contributor for this team. I'm thinking specifically of O-line depth for the future, but there are certainly other areas this applies to as well.

So there's my thoughts on the draft. I won't be tuning in tonight, but I'll definitely follow along online. How about you guys?

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be fun. Ready to cut to the chase.

Draft is one of those things that you're tired of all your ranting and raving of players, just want to see what reality is, and then once it is gone you're sad that it is gone.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be fun. Ready to cut to the chase.

Draft is one of those things that you're tired of all your ranting and raving of players, just want to see what reality is, and then once it is gone you're sad that it is gone.

Oh, not me. I'm usually excited about what's ahead after the draft. Usually after the draft, sometime in May, is when I make my picks for the Broncos W-L record. I wait until after the draft because I want to see how well the team addresses areas of need and if any of the draft class can be expected to come in an make an immediate impact. Also, after the draft is when the speculation about what team is going to finish with what record starts to really get going, and those are the kinds of discussions I enjoy.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, not me. I'm usually excited about what's ahead after the draft. Usually after the draft, sometime in May, is when I make my picks for the Broncos W-L record. I wait until after the draft because I want to see how well the team addresses areas of need and if any of the draft class can be expected to come in an make an immediate impact. Also, after the draft is when the speculation about what team is going to finish with what record starts to really get going, and those are the kinds of discussions I enjoy.

Oh I think we are all excited about what is ahead, but it takes awhile to focus your brain away from the draft and the anticipation. Adjustment phase. Back when I was younger it was really depressing to me when the draft would end.

Usually took a few days, then I'd start in on my next mock.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I think we are all excited about what is ahead, but it takes awhile to focus your brain away from the draft and the anticipation. Adjustment phase. Back when I was younger it was really depressing to me when the draft would end.

Usually took a few days, then I'd start in on my next mock.

I guess with a name like "draft crazy" that makes sense.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I was in grade school and high school I always remember going to school the next Monday a little depressed. Happy that I finally knew what reality was with the draft, but also a little down that the hype was over until next year.

Back when I first got into the draft nobody talked about the draft. It wasn't made into a big deal, ESPN would put Kiper on air about 3 weeks before the draft. You'd have 2 mocks online you could read, in some ways it was kind of fun. I felt like it was a hidden love of mine. :)

Now the old man down the street has a mock as he can because he can just look at 5 of 500 mocks online and come up with his own. :)

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why but I got a really good feeling about this Draft . Gooooooooooooooo Broncos !!!

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love you also DC ..:suds:

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just remember... when it comes to NFL Draft Prospects, there is one word that matters above all else. Trajectory!

"Trajectory > A mercurial Formula that blends Talent, Speed of Improvement, and the Probability of continuing that Speed of Improvement, based on perceived Intelligence, Passion, and Work Ethic: Talent x Intelligence x Drive. Trajectory!"

376181595.jpg

Denver drafting a player is just step one in that player's NFL career. We won't know the culmination of these prospects' talents till at least 2 to 3 years from now. Still, today begins the stretch of days that will determine how successful Denver will be in the stepping into the "Post-Manning" Era. Today begins another step on the quest for our 4th Lombardi.

So just sit back, grab your ice cold beverages, and enjoy the Duke of Denver calmly lead us, once again, to the promised land.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just remember... when it comes to NFL Draft Prospects, there is one word that matters above all else. Trajectory!

"Trajectory > A mercurial Formula that blends Talent, Speed of Improvement, and the Probability of continuing that Speed of Improvement, based on perceived Intelligence, Passion, and Work Ethic: Talent x Intelligence x Drive. Trajectory!"

View attachment 112344

Denver drafting a player is just step one in that player's NFL career. We won't know the culmination of these prospects' talents till at least 2 to 3 years from now. Still, today begins the stretch of days that will determine how successful Denver will be in the stepping into the "Post-Manning" Era. Today begins another step on the quest for our 4th Lombardi.

So just sit back, grab your ice cold beverages, and enjoy the Duke of Denver calmly lead us, once again, to the promised land.

Just look at our 2012 draft as a great example of how long sometimes it takes to evaluate a draft. Before this past season I would say that draft would be a C at best and that was because we found some late round guys that were producing. Beyond that though the early picks had done very little. Fast forward to this year and what 4 of our picks are making $8 million or more per year with 2 of them $15 million or more from that draft? Money on a per year basis probably one of the top drafts of the last 10 years. I think Seattle's has it beat with their 2012 draft but otherwise total money on a draft class not sure anybody else beats ours.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well ladies and gentlemen might not be until tomorrow before I am back on. May your draft evening be full of joy and excitement at whatever the Broncos do. When I do finally make it to my lazy boy to watch the draft believe me I will be raising a glass of whatever liquid I find for all of you and for making this off season such a great one up to this point!

Manimal Sighting

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 112344

Amen. There are so many prospects that I can't help but wonder how their careers could have been different if not being drafted (and more importantly developed) by a certain team

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well ladies and gentlemen might not be until tomorrow before I am back on. May your draft evening be full of joy and excitement at whatever the Broncos do. When I do finally make it to my lazy boy to watch the draft believe me I will be raising a glass of whatever liquid I find for all of you and for making this off season such a great one up to this point!

Have a great one, cd!

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rounds 1-3 are in the books and I am pretty pleased with all three picks so far. If teams are supposed to build for the future in the draft, the Broncs certainly did that. These players don't strike me as "immediate impact" players as rookies, though I'm sure Gotsis and Simmons will get their snaps this year. Ideally the only snaps Lynch takes this year is in mop up duty. Ultimately these are guys that can step in as #1s in years 2-3 of their contracts and fully assume the lead role following any FA departures.

The Raiders and Chargers appear to have drafted well. I think the jury is still out on the Chiefs so far. (To be fair, none of these guys have even had a practice with their new teams, so that can be said about any team's draft.) But it definitely appears the Raiders and Chargers have addressed pressing needs more so than the Chiefs have. The Chiefs picks on defense seem pretty logical, but to expect an infusing of rookies to have an immediate impact where the likes of Houston and Smith have left is a bit idealistic. They still lack a clear #2 WR, too and at this point in the draft I don't know if there is an option remain. There's a lot of talented guys left at WR, but not necessarily guys that can be a credible enough threat to take some pressure off Maclin.

I am really curious what the Broncos do in the coming rounds. I'm sure they add some depth on the O-line. maybe another S and perhaps another LB and RB? And of course, the UDFA class may have some gems. Maybe a punter that can come in, compete, maybe win the job and save us some $$$ on Colquitt's salary.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and best of all, the QB discussions are over! The speculation is done and we can talk about what's ahead with actual players available. Sanchez, Lynch, and Siemian. We need a 4th arm for camp but I read somewhere the Broncos will not attempt to sign a backup veteran QB like Hoyer. I'm good with that.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and best of all, the QB discussions are over! The speculation is done and we can talk about what's ahead with actual players available. Sanchez, Lynch, and Siemian. We need a 4th arm for camp but I read somewhere the Broncos will not attempt to sign a backup veteran QB like Hoyer. I'm good with that.
Elway said they actually might go into camp with only 3 QB's. He wants to get them as many snaps as possible

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway said they actually might go into camp with only 3 QB's. He wants to get them as many snaps as possible

I saw that after making this post. I like it because it means Siemian will not be released or risk losing via transition to the practice squad. Assuming the Broncos allow Sanchez to walk in 2017, this sets up the Broncos to have 2 young QBs going forward.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, so the draft is in the books. Thoughts? Top to bottom I like what we've added. We went into this draft already loaded and look to have set ourselves up to compete "from now on." Some of these players are likely going to be immediate contributors while others will develop. I realize there's a long way to go for the season to begin, but I'm ready! Still, it's going to be an awesome summer leading into the pre-season.

jdlewis777

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think this was the greatest talent-laden draft but we got some players who will contribute and fill in nicely depth wise and possibly a franchise qb.