• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Down goes Josey

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Done for the year with a torn pectoral muscle.

Such a crime. He was playing at the highest level of his career, IMO.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks.

Denver just can’t escape the major week 1-5 major injuries over the last 3-4 years.

Last edited:

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The injury happened on special teams too which Jewell is very good at but it shows how weak we are on coverage units to have our starting linebacker out there.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The injury happened on special teams too which Jewell is very good at but it shows how weak we are on coverage units to have our starting linebacker out there.
Or to our depth at ILB to allow Josey to play special teams.

Too bad for Josey, especially in a contract year.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too bad we let Justin Hollins go. I hear he’s balling out for the Rams so far. I know the Rams have him playing outside but he definitely can play inside for us because I know we had him playing there a bit.

Let’s hope Strnad and Browning are up to the task.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or to our depth at ILB to allow Josey to play special teams.

Too bad for Josey, especially in a contract year.

You typically don't put a starting ILB on special teams who is leading your team in tackles because of "depth behind him", I think it has everything to do with our special teams issues on coverage units. That is exactly why we went out and traded for Jonas Griffith and claimed Mike Ford. Hopefully Mike Boone will help when he returns. But it is a pretty concerning point when you have your ILB who is again good on special teams playing special teams. We have a problem there. We have for awhile. When you have guys like PJ Locke and Jonas Griffith on the roster soley for special teams and they arent making an impact is is frustrating. Mike Ford has been a good add. It is still early for Griffith. Hopefully he steps it up.

Truth is we don't really even know if we have "good" depth at ILB.. I like to think we do... We don't know yet. Strnad and Browning have now played 2 NFL games. Stranad looked ok yesterday coming in for Jewell but he has to amp it up. I think he has the ability to be pretty similar to Jewell but not sure he will get there this year.

I think this loss is going to hurt more then people may realize. At least at first. Jewell while not fancy was always reliable. Since his college days he always knew where to be and where to go. He isn't the most athletic but one of the smartest LB's I have seen in college football and it was starting to translate the last two years over to the NFL.

I am looking forward to Strnad and Browning getting an opportunity and seeing how they can grow. I think we see mostly Stranad at first and Browning a little as the season goes on.

Remember, Jewell is also our signal caller and while anyone on the team can really do it, it can effect a defense.. .Alexander Johnson will be that guy now. I think from that perspective we will probably be fine.. But I do think we will see a little bit of an issue here early on until Stranad gets his feet wet. I think we will be better as the season goes on there.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too bad we let Justin Hollins go. I hear he’s balling out for the Rams so far. I know the Rams have him playing outside but he definitely can play inside for us because I know we had him playing there a bit.

Let’s hope Strnad and Browning are up to the task.

Just my two cents but I don't see Justin Hollins doing real well as an ILB.. He is a pass rusher guy who can get to the QB and runs best in space when he doesn't have to fight off blocks. Another guy we gave up too early on but you only have so many roster spots. Tried to sneak him back to the PS... I like to see him doing well and when I watch the Rams he does stand out.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my two cents but I don't see Justin Hollins doing real well as an ILB.. He is a pass rusher guy who can get to the QB and runs best in space when he doesn't have to fight off blocks. Another guy we gave up too early on but you only have so many roster spots. Tried to sneak him back to the PS... I like to see him doing well and when I watch the Rams he does stand out.

Ya I know that's the gamble you take you never know who will stand out. I'm sure the Broncos would like a few players back they gave up on( like Isiah McKinze) but also on the flip side we've benefited from that too, the 2 main names that come to mind are Shelby Harris and Brandon Marshall.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fangio said they aren’t sure it is torn despite Rappaport saying it was. They will know more tmrw but don’t get too excited. It’s torn. ;)

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This absolutely sucks! He was having a real good year thus far

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoping we sign Barrington Wade to the active roster. He reminds me a bit of Brandon Marshall. ;)

Same jersey # too.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes - Special Team duties for Jewell was a head scratcher for a guy they already had playing every single down on Defense. I do think torn muscles are preventable problem - and should not happen with any regularity. The players weren't very well stretched out last season - this season seemed a little better.

I join those who made the observation that Josey Jewell had become a very valuable contributor at ILB. Strnad is an athletic back up, but it took Jewell - a very knowledgeable football player to begin with - 2 full years to get up to snuff in the Fangio D.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes - Special Team duties for Jewell was a head scratcher for a guy they already had playing every single down on Defense. I do think torn muscles are preventable problem - and should not happen with any regularity. The players weren't very well stretched out last season - this season seemed a little better.

I join those who made the observation that Josey Jewell had become a very valuable contributor at ILB. Strnad is an athletic back up, but it took Jewell - a very knowledgeable football player to begin with - 2 full years to get up to snuff in the Fangio D.

I remember you bringing that up last year and I think you have a case.... There will be injuries no matter what but we seem to pull and tear a lot of muscles.

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I posted about the possibility that Greek was encouraged to step aside. Perhaps opening the door to more progressive regimens. I have no idea if there is any validity to it, but man the injury bug loved feasting on the Broncos the last few years.

I don’t know if Josey’s injuries could have been prevented, but it’s interesting to see a guy like Hamler taking a different approach.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should have Mingo do yoga with the players. I am sure they all do yoga but they aint seeing a real yoga instructor until they go through a session with Mingo.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should have Mingo do yoga with the players. I am sure they all do yoga but they aint seeing a real yoga instructor until they go through a session with Mingo.
I only do hot yoga

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I posted about the possibility that Greek was encouraged to step aside. Perhaps opening the door to more progressive regimens. I have no idea if there is any validity to it, but man the injury bug loved feasting on the Broncos the last few years.

I don’t know if Josey’s injuries could have been prevented, but it’s interesting to see a guy like Hamler taking a different approach.

It's not the trainers - although they should be making recommendations to the strength and conditioning staff - S&C are the fellows who should be working on the training and warmup protocols.