• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does PI count as passing yards?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm just curious if anyone knows whether PI is calculated as passing yards or if the attempt goes in the books as an incompletion. Or is it even counted as a pass attempt?

Same question for defensive holding.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure it doesn't count for any.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So no pass attempt goes in the books? Or is it a pass for zero yards?

I don't think any stats are counted for accepted penalties. I could be wrong but believe it is just counted as just "penalty yards".

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So no pass attempt goes in the books? Or is it a pass for zero yards?

There is no pass attempt. Most plays are voided via penalty. There are a few exemptions such as intentional grounding. In this case the play and loss of yards count.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Thanks Bossman & guy-in-a-Cowboy-hat-flipping-someone-off.

Cheers.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Bossman & guy-in-a-Cowboy-hat-flipping-someone-off.

Cheers.

Giving the bird to eagle fans. Was going to pick on you for being a sea hawks fan. Then I realized you lost a bet. Sorry about that hope you don't have to sport it too long. Props for holding up your end of the bet.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no pass attempt. Most plays are voided via penalty. There are a few exemptions such as intentional grounding. In this case the play and loss of yards count.

This is what confuses people on intentional grounding. People will focus on the loss of down as if it were an incompletion and another loss of down, but that's not what it is. It's basically you take the ball ten yards behind the line of scrimmage (or spot of throw if behind that) and that down counts. It doesn't count as a incompletion to the quarterback but it counts as a loss of down. You lose 10 yards total (or spot of throw if farther behind line of scrimmage) so if the quarterback is about to get sacked 9 yards behind line of scrimmage you lose one more yard only by intentional grounding. Obviously, what you want to do is throw the ball away in the area of a receiver. Then you lose the down but not the yards.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what confuses people on intentional grounding. People will focus on the loss of down as if it were an incompletion and another loss of down, but that's not what it is. It's basically you take the ball ten yards behind the line of scrimmage (or spot of throw if behind that) and that down counts. It doesn't count as a incompletion to the quarterback but it counts as a loss of down. You lose 10 yards total (or spot of throw if farther behind line of scrimmage) so if the quarterback is about to get sacked 9 yards behind line of scrimmage you lose one more yard only by intentional grounding. Obviously, what you want to do is throw the ball away in the area of a receiver. Then you lose the down but not the yards.

The easiest way to understand it is intentional grounding gives the defense a wB sack without anyone getting credit for the sack.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The easiest way to understand it is intentional grounding gives the defense a wB sack without anyone getting credit for the sack.

Yep, exactly why I don't understand when people say that it would be better to take a sack than intentional grounding. Doesn't make any sense. The sack could result in a fumble whereas intentional grounding by definition has no added risk unless you throw an interception with no receivers around. You have the same risk of an interception when you pass to a receiver (when rushed) anyway.

A secure sack results in the same penalty in yards (give or take a few) and hit. Worst is a fumble. I've had this argument with someone before where they say the sack is better because of the loss of down in intentional grounding and I said, "do you think they don't lose a down when they get sacked?" :facepalm3:

Obviously, a safe throwaway is best (besides a forward completion or rush). Get out of the pocket and get it past the line of scrimmage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, exactly why I don't understand when people say that it would be better to take a sack than intentional grounding. Doesn't make any sense. The sack could result in a fumble whereas intentional grounding by definition has no added risk unless you throw an interception with no receivers around. You have the same risk of an interception when you pass to a receiver (when rushed) anyway.

A secure sack results in the same penalty in yards (give or take a few) and hit. Worst is a fumble. I've had this argument with someone before where they say the sack is better because of the loss of down in intentional grounding and I said, "do you think they don't lose a down when they get sacked?" :facepalm3:

Obviously, a safe throwaway is best (besides a forward completion or rush). Get out of the pocket and get it past the line of scrimmage.

Plus you are not 100% sure they will call grounding, while the sack is a sure loss of yards.