• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dobbs suffers undisclosed injury;seen on crutches with lower left leg heavily wrapped

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice summary, rep when I can. Probably be inactivate, IMO.

Yeah, that is my hope as well, as that would indicate a non-serious injury. Always glad to help when I can.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want to clear up some comments in this thread - including my own. It just occured to me we had a similar conversation in another thread and as I recall we cannot put Dobbs on the Reserve PUP List.

There are two designations of PUP List which can be referred to in several ways.

There is the "Active PUP List", sometimes referred to as the Training Camp PUP or Pre-Season PUP

There is the "Reserve PUP" List, sometimes referred to as the Regular Season PUP or Inactive PUP List

There is also a "Non-Injury" designation for both the Active or Reserve PUP Lists, however that designation carries contractual implications which have no bearing on this discussion.

The Active (Training Camp) PUP List is used for players who report to camp and are Physically Unable to Perform. In order to be eligible for this designation a player cannot practice even a single down.

The Reserve (Regular Season) PUP List is only for those players who were on the Active (Training Camp) PUP list - So Dobbs is not eligible for the Reserve (Regular Season) PUP List

Also, players who are placed on the Reserve (Regular Season) PUP List do not count toward the 53 man roster.

So, our only options for Dobbs are the following:

Release
IR
Inactivate

repped.... now i :hdn:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFLPA rejected the proposal to allow the following:

"Under the proposed rule change, teams would have had the ability to place a player, injured before the start of the regular season, on a "shortened" injured reserve. The player would then have been able to return after eight games.

That could have benefited a player like linebacker Tracy White, who has missed almost all of training camp. The Patriots must now keep White on their 53-man roster, place him on season-ending injured reserve, or release him."

How does the PUP designation differ (other than from 6 to 8 games) if it doesn't count against the 53 and the players are allowed to return after 6 games. Is it degree of injury? Is it number of players on the list? Is it level of participation allowed (no practices versus some practices)?

The proposal wasn't passed, but I'm trying to understand how the proposal is different.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFLPA rejected the proposal to allow the following:

"Under the proposed rule change, teams would have had the ability to place a player, injured before the start of the regular season, on a "shortened" injured reserve. The player would then have been able to return after eight games.

That could have benefited a player like linebacker Tracy White, who has missed almost all of training camp. The Patriots must now keep White on their 53-man roster, place him on season-ending injured reserve, or release him."

How does the PUP designation differ (other than from 6 to 8 games) if it doesn't count against the 53 and the players are allowed to return after 6 games. Is it degree of injury? Is it number of players on the list? Is it level of participation allowed (no practices versus some practices)?

The proposal wasn't passed, but I'm trying to understand how the proposal is different.

As it stands now the IR designation for the entire season. The "shortened" IR designation would work like the Inactive PUP but without having to have first been on the Active PUP List.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As it stands now the IR designation for the entire season. The "shortened" IR designation would work like the Inactive PUP but without having to have first been on the Active PUP List.

Thanks, Bem, here was the confusion. Glad we have someone on here who is knowledgable about this stuff.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, Bem, here was the confusion. Glad we have someone on here who is knowledgable about this stuff.

NP. Btw, this "shortened" IR designation will very likely be approved if/when we go to an 18-game schedule.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NP. Btw, this "shortened" IR designation will very likely be approved if/when we go to an 18-game schedule.

Yes, the 18 games would make sense to change the rules due to the length variances of injuries.

I read in the comments of the ESPN report on the proposals' rejection, that this proposal included amendments to the amount or degree of practices allowed in the regular season that the players did not want.

They did what congress does, add in controversial filler to a bill that on the surface looks like it should pass. "You don't want to save children's lives?" "Well, it included a lot of money to ABCD organization.""You just hate children!"

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the 18 games would make sense to change the rules due to the length variances of injuries.

I read in the comments of the ESPN report on the proposals' rejection, that this proposal included amendments to the amount or degree of practices allowed in the regular season that the players did not want.

They did what congress does, add in controversial filler to a bill that on the surface looks like it should pass. "You don't want to save children's lives?" "Well, it included a lot of money to ABCD organization.""You just hate children!"

Correct - They were rejecting the pork

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
With regard to the Dobbs situation, my assumption is that he remains on the active roster and is deactivated on game days until he's healthy enough to play. It's not uncommon to have injured guys on the roster each year.

The big question is how does this effect the very bottom of the roster. If Dobbs can't play for a couple weeks, we need a 3rd TE and backup DE/OLB.

So let's say Reuland is TE3 and Bahktiari is the OLB.

I think this belongs more in the 53 man thread, so I'll take it over there.