• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do We Have Enough Offense?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown...legitimate NFL WR, but imo not a true #1

Sanders...he's on trial for this season to see if he's truly a #2 WR....1st game he was targeted 12 times (Brown 7 times so that's an indication the coverage dictated he was the best option) and had 7 catches for 57 yds.

Okay...only 1 game and a whole bunch of other stuff happened, but if I were a DC, I would double Brown all day.

Cotchery...solid possession guy, slow for a slot.

Wheaton...he's supposed to be the speed slot/edge WR...rookie was not in much on OFC that I saw, got no targets.

Miller...Pro Bowl caliber TE, coming off serious knee injuries. Zero targets to Paulson was interesting.

Bell...supposedly the best pass catcher of the RBs...likely week 3 before he plays and then they may wait until after the bye, but I don't get that sense.

Not really a knee jerk reaction to the 1st game, but even with Miller I wonder if Ben has enough play makers...especially @ WR...Wheaton really needs to step up in imo. Not so much in between the 20s but Idk about this OFC in the RZ...especially against playoff caliber teams.

Your thoughts.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Top it off with a horrid O-line, now without the only guy that can block and they're in trouble. Sanders dropped a few passes and from what I've seen of Wheaton he's Limas Sweede II. He dropped 5 passes in that last preseason game, not a good sign.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Top it off with a horrid O-line, now without the only guy that can block and they're in trouble. Sanders dropped a few passes and from what I've seen of Wheaton he's Limas Sweede II. He dropped 5 passes in that last preseason game, not a good sign.

Brutally honest, but we agree.

I was a Warmack/Lacy guy in the draft so I'm with you on the OL...But, on paper they're young and you have to figure imo 4 or 5 games for a new OL to be game ready.

Sweed was a tall guy, but I feel ya...he dropped a bunch too...a lot of people were high on Wheaton in camp so we'll see, but none of these guys make you fear this offense. Sanders imo is a slot guy...PIT knows this and that's way the tender was so low to begin with. The WR core reminds me of NE.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown...legitimate NFL WR, but imo not a true #1

Sanders...he's on trial for this season to see if he's truly a #2 WR....1st game he was targeted 12 times (Brown 7 times so that's an indication the coverage dictated he was the best option) and had 7 catches for 57 yds.

Okay...only 1 game and a whole bunch of other stuff happened, but if I were a DC, I would double Brown all day.

Cotchery...solid possession guy, slow for a slot.

Wheaton...he's supposed to be the speed slot/edge WR...rookie was not in much on OFC that I saw, got no targets.

Miller...Pro Bowl caliber TE, coming off serious knee injuries. Zero targets to Paulson was interesting.

Bell...supposedly the best pass catcher of the RBs...likely week 3 before he plays and then they may wait until after the bye, but I don't get that sense.

Not really a knee jerk reaction to the 1st game, but even with Miller I wonder if Ben has enough play makers...especially @ WR...Wheaton really needs to step up in imo. Not so much in between the 20s but Idk about this OFC in the RZ...especially against playoff caliber teams.

Your thoughts.

I think it was a huge mistake that Ben wasn't targeting Paulson. He is still a very reliable pass catcher IMO. I was happy when Pitt started off with a bomb to Sanders. Even though it wasn't caught, it still put the Titans' D on their heels and provided the WR's with more breathing room. Once they stopped going deep then the Titans just stacked the box and played more press coverage which created problems for Haley's scheme. Haley needs to keep the defense honest by spreading the field more if the running game isn't there.

If the running game is going to do anything this year then the O-line needs to perform. And the RB's need to have better vision! Redman was still dancing too much on stretch plays. I think they need to go with Felix on Monday. He is a proven stretch runner (also reliable pass catcher) that could do some damage if the O-line does it's job. Valesco was an excellent signing and should help in the trenches.

I agree that Wheaton should be in the slot. But Cotchery is probably the better option on 3rd downs since he is the more consistent catcher out of the group. I think Haley is trying to overcompensate for Miller's absence by having Cotchery in more. :noidea:

Overall they just need better consistency out of everyone if they are going to have any chance this year. Once Bell & Miller return it should help, but not sure how much if the rest of the team is still not performing.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'm looking at it like this...the talent level on the roster, if everybody plays at a high level...maybe they can be a middle of the pack OFC, but I don't see enough there to make me think they will be going on the road beating good teams.

He was an ass on the way out, and lot of people called him one trick pony, etc. but I think this team is going to miss the impact of Wallace.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'm looking at it like this...the talent level on the roster, if everybody plays at a high level...maybe they can be a middle of the pack OFC, but I don't see enough there to make me think they will be going on the road beating good teams.

He was an ass on the way out, and lot of people called him one trick pony, etc. but I think this team is going to miss the impact of Wallace.

Oh definitely. I knew once he left that was going to leave our WR corps pretty bare. Don't get me wrong I like Wheaton, but I was hoping for a bigger WR from the draft. I had high hopes for Justin Brown, whom could still pan out, but for this season its going to be tough. It's a lot like it was back in 2005 with Ward, Randle El, and Wilson! All small receivers, but Ward was a beast! Maybe we can pick up Marqise Lee next season, but that is very wishful thinking.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, now that I think of it... Marqise is only 6'0"... But at least he would be a big upgrade for the offense.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh definitely. I knew once he left that was going to leave our WR corps pretty bare. Don't get me wrong I like Wheaton, but I was hoping for a bigger WR from the draft. I had high hopes for Justin Brown, whom could still pan out, but for this season its going to be tough. It's a lot like it was back in 2005 with Ward, Randle El, and Wilson! All small receivers, but Ward was a beast! Maybe we can pick up Marqise Lee next season, but that is very wishful thinking.

Yep, but the CBs are getting bigger. The margin for err is much tighter with these smaller guys the deeper you go down field.

Wheaton...I've heard he can play...some patience with him is understandable...but Idk how long they can go before they start factoring him.

Moye/Brown...I'm not sure what these guys are lacking not to get on the field over Sanders...Idk what it is...why can't Colbert find a big WR that can play? CIN has two...the UGA kid BAL has Marlon Brown...he can play...imo better than Jacob Jones.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brutally honest, but we agree.

I was a Warmack/Lacy guy in the draft so I'm with you on the OL...But, on paper they're young and you have to figure imo 4 or 5 games for a new OL to be game ready.

Sweed was a tall guy, but I feel ya...he dropped a bunch too...a lot of people were high on Wheaton in camp so we'll see, but none of these guys make you fear this offense. Sanders imo is a slot guy...PIT knows this and that's way the tender was so low to begin with. The WR core reminds me of NE.
Sweed was fast as hell too. Nobody could cover him. Not that it mattered, Limas "Featherstone" Sweed couldn't catch the ball...
I'm reserving judgement on Wheaton, but I'm really uneasy after his lack of performance preseason.

They are young, but young and awful. It could be managed with Pouncey in there, but now... Clusterfuck.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sweed was fast as hell too. Nobody could cover him. Not that it mattered, Limas "Featherstone" Sweed couldn't catch the ball...
I'm reserving judgement on Wheaton, but I'm really uneasy after his lack of performance preseason.

They are young, but young and awful. It could be managed with Pouncey in there, but now... Clusterfuck.

I don't mean to stir up anything here, but do you think Peyton Manning would've taken 5 sacks behind our OL last week. Ben is always among the highest sacked every year in part because of his own style of play. When I watched the DVR again...I thought he could've easily avoided 2 sacks by throwing the ball away.

I'm not cutting the OL any slack. To say a new OL sucked after 1 game is correct, but shortsighted. If we're still complaing about the OL after the bye, then I think PIT is in trouble.