• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Did Lavy lose the team?

KS32790

SHOOOOOOOOOT IT !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laviolette still building trust with captain Richards

Interesting article about Lavy and Richie. Rumors of them not even speaking at the end of the season. My opinion is that Lavy lost the locker room around January by his choice of lineups (ex: Shelley vs. Z) and working them too hard to exhaustion and they were burnt out in February.

KS32790

SHOOOOOOOOOT IT !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike was also not available to the media yesterday

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember back in Jan/Feb that a bunch of the players were complaining to the media about Laviollete changing the lines and PP units every other game. There's plenty of blame to go around.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i'll side with lavy on this, if richards was an established communicator then i would say more of the coach is to blame. but when you can't speak your mind to anyone as a captain you are to blame.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'll side with lavy on this, if richards was an established communicator then i would say more of the coach is to blame. but when you can't speak your mind to anyone as a captain you are to blame.

Yes, BUT I think that Richards is/was speaking for a lot of the players in regards to grievances with the way Lavy was handling things. In other words, if the coach loses the team then the coach is at least partially at fault. Same thing happened with Hitchcock after a while. I don't think it has gotten to that point yet though. I think a lot of this is being blown way up by the media.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i will agree that i think pannacio is like a middle school girl when it comes to things like this. i don't want mike going anywhere, i just want to feel like my captain is committed to winning and becoming a better player.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i will agree that i think pannacio is like a middle school girl when it comes to things like this. i don't want mike going anywhere, i just want to feel like my captain is committed to winning and becoming a better player.

See I truly think that he is committed to winning. The guy has won at every single level. He just has the communication skills of a twelve year-old. lol

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If one had to go Richards or Lavi i would hold the door open for Peter any day.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HockeyBuzz.com - Bill Meltzer - Meltzer's Musings: Pronger, Worlds, Laviolette

From article:

"Over the last few months, but especially throughout the playoffs, there have been numerous rumors about dissent between various Flyers' players and head coach Peter Laviolette. One of the most prevalent rumors behind the scenes was that team captain Mike Richards was no longer on speaking terms with Laviolette.

Yesterday, 610 WIP's Glen Macnow reported the Richards story on the air. While Laviolette said it was untrue that he and the captain were not speaking at all, he did admit that his relationship with Richards is "something we're working on" moving forward. It's been said that Laviolette initially clashed with Rod Brind'Amour in Carolina but the two eventually got on the same page and won a Cup together.

It should also be noted that Richards is not the only player involved here. There have been equally prevalent rumors from credible sources that there was a lot of player anger directed at Laviolette for the goaltending carousel during the playoffs; namely the decision to elevate Michael Leighton and then start him over Brian Boucher in Game 6 after Leighton had only played in one regular season game with the big club this season.

I have a world of respect for commentator Bill Clement, but I have to partially disagree with his comment after Game 4 of the Boston series along the lines of "it would be 100 percent wrong to blame Peter Laviolette and the coaches." The primary blame goes on the players, no doubt about it. But Laviolette came up every bit as small as the team and he deserves his fair share of blame.

His handling of matchups in the first game of the Boston series left a lot to be desired, and some have said that his day-in and day-out intensity needs to be toned down just a bit because it's the main reason why he's gained the reputation as a coach with a short shelf life until he gets tuned out.

Let me be crystal clear here that I do not advocate firing Laviolette because the captain and other players aren't his biggest fans. The Flyers have changed coaches too many times in recent years, and I still think Laviolette has pushed the right buttons more often than not during his tenure here so far. But he has also alienated several players who carry influence around the locker room, and mending fences and establishing better communication needs to be a priority if the relationship is to be successful going ahead. Alternatively, Paul Holmgren will need to remove some of those influences.

Winning cures a lot of ills in hockey. It's easy to forget now that, near the trade deadline this year, Homer avoided making any moves involving current roster players because he didn't want to disturb the chemistry that seemed to be in place.

Likewise, it's just as easy to forget that there were as many -- if not more -- rumors of dissent and locker room factions last season after the Olympic break. Somehow, the team found a way to get on the same page and come within a whisker of winning the Cup. Several players have said they like playing the system Laviolette preaches, so getting buy-in in that regard is not a problem.

Can Laviolette coexist successfully with his players next year? Absolutely. But it's going to take a little more flexibility on his part, and perhaps a few changes in the locker room to remove players with negative influences. I also think at least one assistant coaching change or addition may be in order.

During Mike Keenan's most successful years as a coach, he had EJ McGuire as his right hand man. The gentlemanly, brainy and calm McGuire used to joke that his main job under Keenan was to "clean the blood off the walls" -- in other words, sooth hurt feelings with a more positive message, provide a sounding board for players and intelligently decide which issues needed to be brought to the head coach's attention and which ones did not.

There was only one EJ McGuire in many, many ways but the Flyers could use an assistant who balances off Laviolette's fiery disposition and is equally trusted by the coach and players alike. That's not meant as an indictment of Craig Berube or Kevin McCarthy, but rather an acknowledgment that there was a disconnect that developed this season between the head coach and his team and that perhaps an additional liaison would be helpful come next season."

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i don't want mike or lavi to go, i think lavi is the best coach in the league, let me switch gears here. i want carter to go. i think he would net the greatest return and would set an example that the bullshit is not going to be tolerated anymore. if you dont have your priorities straight than you will be out the door. his complacent approach to hockey is a problem with half the players in the dressing room and it is time they addressed it.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Hartnell on Laviolette, Richards, etc. | Flyer Files

From article:

On how guys feel about Laviolette:
“I love Lavvy. I have all the respect in the world for him. His systems are great.
On criticisms of Mike Richards:
It’s very unfair. He’s the hardest worker. He’s got the biggest heart. People who are saying he doesn’t care or he didn’t give it his all out there doesn’t know what they’re talking about because he’s one of the most well-liked players I’ve ever played with.

KS32790

SHOOOOOOOOOT IT !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love it. Timmy P has been printing this kind of garbage for a few years now.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Panaccio and Carchidi have it out for Richards.

KS32790

SHOOOOOOOOOT IT !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hes had a Vendetta against the media when the "party" questions continue to come up. I dont blame him. I just hope it never makes him want to leave Philly altogether because of a few dicks

PhillyFate48

Pimp by blood
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like Lavi and I'm a big fan of Richards but both of em shit the bed this post-season!

Flyers will be fine for next season and I think we might just see a new goalie as well!

TimKerrRules#12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Did Richards have a good season? No
The Philly media can go fuck themselves, Richy is and will be the captain of the Flyers!

Lavy will be back next year, but should he? He has made stupid mistakes, and he needs to be better along with the rest of his staff.
Last playoffs he left Krichiec and Bartulis out for a D zone faceoff that led to a goal by Hossa in a 0-0 game 2, and he left Richy-Carter-Gagne together, while Quinville separated Kane-Toews, out coached.

This year he put the Flyers through a mini training camp down the stretch, wtf is that all about! Not to mention what he did with Zherdev, while Vertseeg who cost Philly 2 games against carolina/atl with stupid giveaways stays in the lineup.
Bob was sent packing for having 1 bad period, and they went with Boosh then, to Leighton who should only have seen on the bench if there was an injury, but somehow he got on the ice, not fair to him or BOB. What a fucking debalce, Bob who was the Flyers #1 goalie basically all year gets the shaft???? He also had no answer for the trap, lead to giveaways, d men left widopen at the points. What about Joe Mullen who runs the pp, how god dam long did it take them to put Richards on the point, and the Lucic-Kriejie-Horton line should have only been matched up with the Richards line, but of course wasn't.

This Flyers team should never have been swept, they have way too much talent.