• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dez Bryant

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dez Bryant says he's in the best shape of his life.

As HardballTalk's Craig Calcaterra would attest, this is usually a baseball cliché, but Bryant is opting for "best shape of my life" instead of football's standard "added 15 pounds of muscle." "I’ve been working six days out of the week," Bryant said. "That’s all I’ve been doing. This year is special." Presumably, Bryant has decided to make this a "special" season because he's going into the final year of his rookie contract.

Source: ESPN Dallas

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perferct timing cause he is about 8 months away from being an UFA. What was talked about very little is Dallas cashing in there 5th year rights for LT T. Smith. Now Jerry doesn't have two star deals to make before March 2015. He can just focus on resigning Dez and wait til next year to focus on Smith. I think the way to go is franchise Dez. All they have to pay him is the average of the top 10 WR's in 2015 which is a great deal. They can franchise him again in 2016 for the average of the top 5 WR's. That keeps Dez on Dallas for 3 more years (prime years too) with out having to give him a mega-deal contract. After two more years if he turns in to the 2nd best WR in the league, Romos huge contract will be off the books.

Now someone answer this... because Im not sure. Are you able to franchise two players (T. Smith and Dez in 2016)?

Franchising Dez for 2015 and 2016 is an incredible way to keep him in his prime yet not figuring out how to put together 85+ million dollar deal for him. It keeps Dez hungry too.

With all that said Dallas HAS to start bringing in some QB's in the draft over the next two years. Next year might be the year to focus a 1st rounder on a QB. I think if Manziel was there at pick 16 and this was the 2015 draft Dallas would have scooped him up.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perferct timing cause he is about 8 months away from being an UFA. What was talked about very little is Dallas cashing in there 5th year rights for LT T. Smith. Now Jerry doesn't have two star deals to make before March 2015. He can just focus on resigning Dez and wait til next year to focus on Smith. I think the way to go is franchise Dez. All they have to pay him is the average of the top 10 WR's in 2015 which is a great deal. They can franchise him again in 2016 for the average of the top 5 WR's. That keeps Dez on Dallas for 3 more years (prime years too) with out having to give him a mega-deal contract. After two more years if he turns in to the 2nd best WR in the league, Romos huge contract will be off the books.

Now someone answer this... because Im not sure. Are you able to franchise two players (T. Smith and Dez in 2016)?

Franchising Dez for 2015 and 2016 is an incredible way to keep him in his prime yet not figuring out how to put together 85+ million dollar deal for him. It keeps Dez hungry too.

With all that said Dallas HAS to start bringing in some QB's in the draft over the next two years. Next year might be the year to focus a 1st rounder on a QB. I think if Manziel was there at pick 16 and this was the 2015 draft Dallas would have scooped him up.

you can only fran. tag one player.
Smith will get his deal. We wouldn't bother fran tagging him. Even with whatever huge deal he gets he will still be youthful, by the end of it.
I wouldn't mind just fran tagging Dez if he deserves it. Giving him a huge deal is what scares me.
Smith I wouldn't have a 2nd thought on resigning him to a long term deal.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't blame him. These guys have a small window of opportunity, and they need to cash in as much as they can, while they can. I just hope he puts as much time into learning the play book and running crisp routes as he is being as fit as he's ever been.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats the fear in giving Dez a big deal?

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats the fear in giving Dez a big deal?

Well he is taking things more seriously this year because he is in a contract year.
The question is. Is he maturing & taking his profession more seriously or is he just looking for his mega deal then revert to going on just his talent alone & stop taking it all seriously. I can see being concerned with giving him a shit ton of money. I guess it just depends on which Dez, you think he will be after be handed big money.

Ekspozed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he is taking things more seriously this year because he is in a contract year.
The question is. Is he maturing & taking his profession more seriously or is he just looking for his mega deal then revert to going on just his talent alone & stop taking it all seriously. I can see being concerned with giving him a shit ton of money. I guess it just depends on which Dez, you think he will be after be handed big money.

I think his back issues and not progressing are his biggest concerns. Jerry will pay him though.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it just depends on the contract he is seeking.

I've said before I think he will ask for 15 million a year avg salary. If that turns out to be the case .... Tag him ... price tag will be 13 million. Makes him cheaper and you're not stuck with a future contract that could bite you in the ass. Even to tag him the 2nd year the price woud be around 15 .... so even then tagging him looks to be the smartest move over the next two years if we keep him.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Dez gets about $13M/year (5/$65M). That puts him right behind Calvin and Fitz on the highest paid list. Calvin is in a league of his own and Fitz is so incredibly overpaid right now it isn't even funny. He is nowhere near the 2nd best WR in the league, but he still has the players respect so Dez will know he can't get as much as him. Dez is way better than the next 3 guys (Harvin, Wallace and Bowe) so it would be tough to not pay him at least what they get.

Probably better to sign him before Marshall signs, because whichever guy goes 2nd is going to want more than the first guy gets. Dez is making (comparitively speaking) peanuts right now. So if we extend him soon we should be able to keep the salary lower than if we get into a bidding war. If he goes to free agency, then I wouldn't be surprised if Twists prediction of $15M comes true.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, just saw on twitter that Marshall signed for 3/$40M. Need to up my prediction to $13.5M per year...

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Dez gets about $13M/year (5/$65M). That puts him right behind Calvin and Fitz on the highest paid list. Calvin is in a league of his own and Fitz is so incredibly overpaid right now it isn't even funny. He is nowhere near the 2nd best WR in the league, but he still has the players respect so Dez will know he can't get as much as him. Dez is way better than the next 3 guys (Harvin, Wallace and Bowe) so it would be tough to not pay him at least what they get.

Probably better to sign him before Marshall signs, because whichever guy goes 2nd is going to want more than the first guy gets. Dez is making (comparitively speaking) peanuts right now. So if we extend him soon we should be able to keep the salary lower than if we get into a bidding war. If he goes to free agency, then I wouldn't be surprised if Twists prediction of $15M comes true.

Marshall already extended 3 years 30 million

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but I dont think you can compare Marshall's contract to the one Dez will get .... Dez is the young guy and he will be right behind Calvin and Fitz who both average 16+ a year

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I hear a guy has been focusing on weights and strengthening, it actually makes me nervous. I'm probably just jaded and this is nothing, but adding muscle in an offseason seems to lead to more stress injuries and pulled muscles.

I'd rather hear that he is using his time to do nothing but yoga, limbering up and gaining more motion and flexibility :pound:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I hear a guy has been focusing on weights and strengthening, it actually makes me nervous. I'm probably just jaded and this is nothing, but adding muscle in an offseason seems to lead to more stress injuries and pulled muscles.

I'd rather hear that he is using his time to do nothing but yoga, limbering up and gaining more motion and flexibility :pound:

First thing I think of when I hear a guy added muscle and got bigger is steroids...I don't think Dez actually said he gained weight though, did he?

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you know you put the laugh on the end of that ..... but that is very true. with his poor route running and bad back ..... I think you hit the nail on the head

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First thing I think of when I hear a guy added muscle and got bigger is steroids...I don't think Dez actually said he gained weight though, did he?

All I saw was he said best shape of his career

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too. Didn't see the whole article though, only what was posted here.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im always iffy on any player that says that in a contract year ......

I've read that even though we picked up Smith's option he is still the priority to resign. ( That came out of Jones mouth) You pick up the option so you know you have the guy then try to work something out before he collects it.

What Dez gets and what the Tag will be wont be far apart. I use the tag. Especially when you look at our luck as of late.
J Ratt, Ware, and I woulda let Spencer walk .... but glad they didn't lock into a huge contract with him as well.