• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Devey vs Tiller Breakdown

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to think that Baalke was a good GM. Now I'm not so sure.

My thoughts exactly. Brandon Thomas was a steal in the 3rd, according to many draftniks...however homie can't get a sniff of the OL rotation currently being played by undrafted FA or someone else's trash. Tank is another one. Martin can be chalked up to the same in terms of hype. Baalke needs to hit multiple HRs in the next draft or his credibility as a GM goes down the toilet.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts exactly. Brandon Thomas was a steal in the 3rd, according to many draftniks...however homie can't get a sniff of the OL rotation currently being played by undrafted FA or someone else's trash. Tank is another one. Martin can be chalked up to the same in terms of hype. Baalke needs to hit multiple HRs in the next draft or his credibility as a GM goes down the toilet.

The hot seat is getting a bit warme under Baalke right now. Martin is only 21 years old, so he still has time to get bigger and stronger which I think is part of his problem. I don't know what the deal is Brandon Thomas. Not sure if that knee is still bothering him. Baalke needs to dump the drafting of IR and Project type players.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hot seat is getting a bit warme under Baalke right now. Martin is only 21 years old, so he still has time to get bigger and stronger which I think is part of his problem. I don't know what the deal is Brandon Thomas. Not sure if that knee is still bothering him. Baalke needs to dump the drafting of IR and Project type players.

The hot seat definitely got fast forwarded with the loss of 3 key starters via retirement, injury, and FA...he was drafting for the future and should have had this year to develop these guys...it did not work. The same can be said for other positions as well. I don't think Baalke has done a bad job, but I do think we will see his draft strategy change in a gigantic way...if he doesn't...he gone.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hot seat definitely got fast forwarded with the loss of 3 key starters via retirement, injury, and FA...he was drafting for the future and should have had this year to develop these guys...it did not work. The same can be said for other positions as well. I don't think Baalke has done a bad job, but I do think we will see his draft strategy change in a gigantic way...if he doesn't...he gone.

I think Baalke has strong support from York but if the team ends up 1-15 or 2-14, there will be alot of pressure on York to make a change.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Baalke spent the off-season watching his team lose All-Pro players like defensive end Justin Smith, linebacker Patrick Willis and offensive lineman Mike Iupati. The team also lost Pro Bowl players like defensive end Ray McDonald and running back Frank Gore. Key contributors like tackle Anthony Davis and receiver Michael Crabtree also left. All of these players helped the 49ers come within four yards of their second straight Super Bowl just two seasons ago.

I'm not backing up Baalke on everything but do feel this paragraph is being 'oversold'. Imagine you are the GM instead of Baake, would you have known Willis, Ant. Davis, and Borland (although not mentioned) would retire?

Justin Smith himself made the decision to retire, as GM should you have known that?

As GM, would YOU have kept McDonald after repeated off-field incidents?

As GM would YOU have kept Crabtree? No one on this board was for keeping him, so i already knew this answer.

As GM would YOU have kept Gore?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baalke spent the off-season watching his team lose All-Pro players like defensive end Justin Smith, linebacker Patrick Willis and offensive lineman Mike Iupati. The team also lost Pro Bowl players like defensive end Ray McDonald and running back Frank Gore. Key contributors like tackle Anthony Davis and receiver Michael Crabtree also left. All of these players helped the 49ers come within four yards of their second straight Super Bowl just two seasons ago.

I'm not backing up Baalke on everything but do feel this paragraph is being 'oversold'. Imagine you are the GM instead of Baake, would you have known Willis, Ant. Davis, and Borland (although not mentioned) would retire?

Justin Smith himself made the decision to retire, as GM should you have known that?

As GM would YOU have kept Crabtree? No one on this board was for keeping him, so i already knew this answer.

Justin smith yes. Thats why they drafted arm stead.
Mcdonald- No bye bye
Crabtree- let him walk
Gore- let him go.
A. Smith- I would kept him. They try to be higher then the NFL and should let the NFL suspend him or fine.
Iupati- I understand letting him go because he thought he had replacement for him.
Cox- Should of resigned him.

I think those decisions made sense. The problem is he didn't add anything to this team besides T. Smith. His draft classes aren't looking great anymore. His trades make no sense. He takes too many iffy pick ups(Wright, Cook).

I just feel he isn't doing his job right now. I feel like he is taking a year off. This is a bad product he has on the field and he went really cheap with the cheapest coaching staff in the NFL and it is showing. Our DC and OC have no clue what they are doing.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would agree about Willis and Borland. Can't blame him regarding A Davis either. Those were surprises. Justin Smith was not a surprise. He has been contemplating retirement for the past couple of years. Changes in the roster happens. The GM has to bring in people who are going to keep success going. For the most, that hasn't happened with Baalke's picks as of yet.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would agree about Willis and Borland. Can't blame him regarding A Davis either. Those were surprises. Justin Smith was not a surprise. He has been contemplating retirement for the past couple of years. Changes in the roster happens. The GM has to bring in people who are going to keep success going. For the most, that hasn't happened with Baalke's picks as of yet.

ok, but how he fared in drafting is another subject. Yes, he is always drafting for the future, and is supposed to keep the talent going.

that article criticizes Baalke for all these guys leaving this season, but how could he know each decision?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, but how he fared in drafting is another subject. Yes, he is always drafting for the future, and is supposed to keep the talent going.

that article criticizes Baalke for all these guys leaving this season, but how could he know each decision?

Obviously true, can't blame Baalke for many of these guys leaving like Borland and Willis. Gore and Iupati were mgmt. decisions. Baalke decided to let these guys go. In Gore's case, I don't have an issue. Gore is up there in age and it was clearly time for Hyde to take over. I also don't have an issue with Iupati leaving as he received a huge contract and he is injury prone and his pass protecting skills were declining. Still, if Baalke is going to let him go it is up to him to find replacements.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tiller needs to be the full time starter over Devey. I want to see a full game of Tiller and see if he can be someone we can count on. on the oline.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tiller needs to be the full time starter over Devey. I want to see a full game of Tiller and see if he can be someone we can count on. on the oline.

I am of the belief that they should permanently bench Pears and Devey and let the young guys play. Trent Brown at RT or move Boone over to RT if they feel they have the interior line depth. Let Tiller play and be the road grader he's proven to be. Once Kilgore is back at 100%, sit Martin or have him slide to one of the G positions. Either way, this OL is fucking TURRIBLE and at this point, it's better to give the PT to a guy with upside.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am of the belief that they should permanently bench Pears and Devey and let the young guys play. Trent Brown at RT or move Boone over to RT if they feel they have the interior line depth. Let Tiller play and be the road grader he's proven to be. Once Kilgore is back at 100%, sit Martin or have him slide to one of the G positions. Either way, this OL is fucking TURRIBLE and at this point, it's better to give the PT to a guy with upside.

Starting Brown or Thomas can't be any worse than Pears or Devey at this point. Both of those guys are turnstiles against decent competition.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, I do think once we get Kilgore and they start Tiller the line will be a little better. I also agree let brown play over Pears. We have nothing to lose there.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reading a blurb about the Patriots and this caught my eye. Great now he is our disaster.

As long as Brady is at quarterback, Gronk is in the red zone, and Jordan Devey is on the 49ers, the offense should still be just fine. The Edelman injury just further lowers the Patriots' ceiling and reduces their margin for error.