• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Detroit @ Mariners: 5/17 - 5/20

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is the most encouraging thing about this season. Realistically, with the numbers being tossed out by the players this is an average team at best but when you still have Cruz, Seager and Zunino all yet to have gotten hot. Season still seems like it will come down to pitching.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the most encouraging thing about this season. Realistically, with the numbers being tossed out by the players this is an average team at best but when you still have Cruz, Seager and Zunino all yet to have gotten hot. Season still seems like it will come down to pitching.
Paxton pitching like a true Ace and Haniger playing like an All-star seem to be the X factors. Maybe in an American League that has so many dreadful teams that will be enough to hang around. I like to think we supplement the team at some point given the extra $ we now have. I have hope that Cook will work his way into a key bullpen role. For now I'd like to see them finish the month 7-3. That would put them 12 over heading into a brutal month of June schedule wise. But finishing this month strong allows them to struggle in June and not have it torpedo the season quite yet.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paxton pitching like a true Ace and Haniger playing like an All-star seem to be the X factors. Maybe in an American League that has so many dreadful teams that will be enough to hang around. I like to think we supplement the team at some point given the extra $ we now have. I have hope that Cook will work his way into a key bullpen role. For now I'd like to see them finish the month 7-3. That would put them 12 over heading into a brutal month of June schedule wise. But finishing this month strong allows them to struggle in June and not have it torpedo the season quite yet.

The June schedule is what has me concerned. If they are going to use that Cano money, they need to use that now on a starter or bullpen. I don't know who is out there to be had but using that money now would be ideal to me, they don't need an Adam Jones or Machado or any offensive player IMO.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The June schedule is what has me concerned. If they are going to use that Cano money, they need to use that now on a starter or bullpen. I don't know who is out there to be had but using that money now would be ideal to me, they don't need an Adam Jones or Machado or any offensive player IMO.

I agree that it isn't the biggest need, but as they say any improvement is still an improvement. I will take any player that is arguably better than any current player on the team at any position. My first choice would be two lockdown relievers since I think they make more of a difference in more games...but that should have been done in the off season as we all already know.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that 1 starter or 1 or 2 quality relievers should be priority, but come on, who's selling top of the line relievers right now? That shit goes down at the deadline because teams will maximize return. It might be a blessing in disguise to have Cano's money to work with, but I wouldn't expect us to be able to find something this far out that would be an obvious improvement.

What hurts is having lost David Phelps for the year. He really could have been the guy to command Nicasio's spot had he been healthy.

I think if you're gonna get an upgrade in pitching early, it's gonna be a starter. There will be more of them with bloated contracts we could potentially pry away before the hot stove really gets going. Let's hope Leake, Gonzo, and Felix can hold up to what Pax and LeBlanc have been doing til then.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For me I think adding a CF who can play defense would create as much wins as anything. If you consider comparing moving Dee Gordon to 2nd and Cano, the dropoff isn't that drastic. Both are 4-5 WAR 2nd baseman. However Dee loses value in CF so if you replace him with a guy that can defend there, I actually think you may be able to weather the loss of Cano. Problem is are guys like Cruz and Seagar gonna progress?

I also just don't necessarily expect any kind of impact starter. They just don't have the ammo for that even with the extra $$. Reasonably you would be looking at just getting a #4-5 type which you have already.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that it isn't the biggest need, but as they say any improvement is still an improvement. I will take any player that is arguably better than any current player on the team at any position. My first choice would be two lockdown relievers since I think they make more of a difference in more games...but that should have been done in the off season as we all already know.

I'm just wondering if there is any releivers out there though? One good thing with Cano, is they can send money to get a prospect or pay the salary of a Nicassio if he were included.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me I think adding a CF who can play defense would create as much wins as anything. If you consider comparing moving Dee Gordon to 2nd and Cano, the dropoff isn't that drastic. Both are 4-5 WAR 2nd baseman. However Dee loses value in CF so if you replace him with a guy that can defend there, I actually think you may be able to weather the loss of Cano. Problem is are guys like Cruz and Seagar gonna progress?

I also just don't necessarily expect any kind of impact starter. They just don't have the ammo for that even with the extra $$. Reasonably you would be looking at just getting a #4-5 type which you have already.

I'm not expecting them to get an ace or anything, in an ideal world they could get a starter then move Marco to the pen, or wouldn't happen but move Felix. They need starters who can keep them in games against the Astros, Angels, Yankees and Red Sox.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not expecting them to get an ace or anything, in an ideal world they could get a starter then move Marco to the pen, or wouldn't happen but move Felix. They need starters who can keep them in games against the Astros, Angels, Yankees and Red Sox.
I don't think you move Marco to the pen. Hes been fine. Sadly the two spots you could improve right now are the two guys making the most money. :L

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest fear....

We do nothing, extra money, so what we have the best pitching of any none playoff team. I'm afraid it's going to be like the 1990's, 2001 where they just don't go all in. After all the team is winning right now, therefore the club is making money so no reason to rock the boat.

Man I hope I'm wrong and everyone looks back at this and laughs at me. I'd even make a topic thread to eat crow, so please please please Seattle don't pocket the money bring in some help.

:puzzled:

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest fear....

We do nothing, extra money, so what we have the best pitching of any none playoff team. I'm afraid it's going to be like the 1990's, 2001 where they just don't go all in. After all the team is winning right now, therefore the club is making money so no reason to rock the boat.

Man I hope I'm wrong and everyone looks back at this and laughs at me. I'd even make a topic thread to eat crow, so please please please Seattle don't pocket the money bring in some help.

:puzzled:
I have every expectation that JD will do something moving forward. If the organization truly wants a winning team come Sept/Oct something must be done about the pitching. If nothing happens---- we can kiss this season goodbye like all the last 16 seasons. It's now time to put up or shut up.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just wondering if there is any releivers out there though? One good thing with Cano, is they can send money to get a prospect or pay the salary of a Nicassio if he were included.

No I don't think there is right now. I am sure Cards would love to unload Holland after paying him $17M for this year. Problem being as always, DIP doesn't like to sign players he just likes trading for players and can we afford to give up any more youth? They always box themselves into a corner.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you move Marco to the pen. Hes been fine. Sadly the two spots you could improve right now are the two guys making the most money. :L

Well my line of thinking was more of your last line. They won't give up on Felix and doubt they'd put Leake in long relief. Just trying to be creative on the way to strengthen the bullpen because I just don't see any salary dumps on my quick look that they could get by their murderers row schedule in June.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I don't think there is right now. I am sure Cards would love to unload Holland after paying him $17M for this year. Problem being as always, DIP doesn't like to sign players he just likes trading for players and can we afford to give up any more youth? They always box themselves into a corner.

We could always trade Kyle Lewis and pay the salary for Holland and O'Neill.