• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Lions 2015 CB outlook Draftees or FA

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st I'll post the probability of all teams looking for CB's in 2015. Some of the following teams may have player's who are cap casualties, injuries, depth concerns or future cuts. Below is a list of 4 sites and how they rated each teams need for a CB (rated 1-9 with 1 being highest need.

Team Name.....NFL.com.....ESPN.....DraftTek.....Walter
TB.......................0.................3..............0................6
Ten.....................3..................0.............3.................6
Jax......................2.................0..............0................5
Oak.....................2.................0..............3................9
Was.....................2.................0..............0................2
NYJ......................2.................0..............0................2
Chi......................3.................3..............3.................8
Atl.......................3.................3..............0.................7
Nyg.....................0..................3..............0................8
Stl.......................2..................3..............0................7
Min......................3..................0..............3................4
Cle.......................0.................0...............0................0
NO.......................1.................2...............2................1
Mia......................2..................0...............3................3
SF.......................0..................0...............0................0
Hou.....................0..................3...............0................4
SD......................1..................3................2................4 (x2) FA Flowers
KC......................3..................3................2................9
Buf......................0..................0................0...............0
Phi......................1..................1................1................1 (x2) Williams ? Fletcher ?
Cin......................1..................0................0................8
Pit.......................3..................1................2................1 (x2)
Det......................1..................0................3................4
AZ.......................0..................0................0................4
Car......................3..................3................0................7
Bal......................0..................3................3.................1
Dal......................1..................0................3................4
Den.....................0..................0................0................0
Ind......................0..................0................0................7
GB.......................0..................0................0................2
Sea......................0..................0................0................3 (x2) FA Maxwell, Simon ?
NE.......................0..................0................0.................3 (Revis cap casualty ?)

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I look at all the teams that may possibly be looking for a CB and then peruse through the draft eligible CB's (which isn't that strong), I find it a little difficult to believe that the Lions will have a shot at a very good one picking at #23/#24/#25 of various rounds.

tPaul might be onto something regarding FA Antonio Cromartie. I sure don't want an expensive FA CB, however, someone in here has worked up a pretty decent scenario ( I won't name him).

There's truly only 2-3 CB's that may merit consideration in the latter half of 1 st rd. Nt 1 CB this year is deserving of top 15, IMO.

Something to think about. IMHO

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if Mathis is re-signed we're good with our two starters, so for me it's a matter of drafting kid or two early on to groom to take over for Rashean in a year or two.

Gotta keep that pipeline stocked...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we still have injury concerns with "Bullet Bill every damn year" and now Lawson (who I like as a slot or nickel back). Vaughn was abysmal. Seisay is young and someone who I hope to groom as a solid #3 or #4 CB but I think he needs some time (1-2 more years). There is absolutely no guarantee that Austin is here after 2015 season.

I like Mathis, especially his taking over as a mentor for the young CB's, but I still think we need to look at "mere possibilities that exist.

I will stipulate that I'm not looking for any FA CB that is above say 4M per year.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tPaul, honestly most of this years CB's coming out for the draft are highly questionable prospects who may very well need a lot of work i.e. 2-3 years to develop. Austin is an intricate part of drafting any CB's this year as his tutelage is paramount for these kids to succeed early on.

Prospects who I think may have a bigger advantage over others in this class, from a technique standpoint are
WAS Marcus Peters...... (I'd sincerely rank his skill-set as #1 overall CB)
MSU Trae Waynes
WF.. Kevin Johnson
FAT. D'Joun Smith
TCU KevinWhite ...........(he's strictly a slot/nickel, more than likely)

then the rest need some or a lot of work IMO
PJ Williams... he has the physical tools but also some tight hips and avg eye recognition
Jalen Collins.. athletically gifted, tall, long armed, rangy, 195 lbs but needs a lot of technique
Rollins is just 1 year into football and has the athleticism down but how far is he behind technique

IMO, many of these prospects won't be around at #23 (1st rd.) or #54 (2nd rd.)

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trae Waynes 6'1 182

Trae Waynes, CB, Michigan State, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Kiper's assessment;
Analysis: What Waynes lacks in size and strength, he makes up for with his easy movement and ability to cover in space. I had dropped him some because he had an inconsistent stretch, but when he was at his best, he was simply shutting people down. He has good length and can really cover, and now he simply needs to get stronger and be more physical in run support. Video highlights
video.png

McShay's assessment;
Analysis: Waynes has good length and speed for the cornerback position, and is at his best in a press-man or Cover 2 role. He has above-average field awareness and can track the ball well and maintain good position in coverage. He's also willing to come up in run support and is a sure open-field tackler.

Jeremiah's assessment;
Analysis: Waynes has good length and speed for the cornerback position, and is at his best in a press-man or Cover 2 role. He has above-average field awareness and can track the ball well and maintain good position in coverage. He's also willing to come up in run support and is a sure open-field tackler.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lions want a CB in the first, they will have to take a second tier guy early. Im assuming the top two are off the board at 23. I still think the draft is all about position and whats actually available when you pick. Opportunity doesn't always present itself. The Lions might do better by keeping Mathis or going after a FA.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not even looking at the Lions drafting a CB in the 1st rd this year at #23. I'm merely pointing out what's available talent-wise in the draft pool. More or less, I'm attempting to show that drafting a CB this year may not be feasible at all due to where we draft in each round. Maybe there's a prospect that falls into that 4th or 5th round because they're viewed as developmental. Which brings me back to the possibility of going after a FA.

N.O., Phi and Pit all could be possibly taking a CB in the 1st rd.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marcus Peters 5' 11" 195

Marcus Peters, CB, Washington, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com ... #29 overall
Kiper's assessment; #20 overall
Analysis: A highly instinctive cover corner, what you see on tape is a player who can "run the route" for the receiver and put himself in position to make plays because he can hang with receivers but also get his head around and locate the ball. Peters is a willing tackler and a competitive guy who doesn't back down against good competition. But he was also a live wire on the sideline last season and ended up booted off the team at Washington. Coachability is obviously a concern.

McShay's assessment; #18 overall
Analysis: Peters was dismissed from the Washington program earlier this season after having been held out of games on more than one occasion for behavioral issues. Obviously, NFL teams are going to want to take a closer look at the reasons for his dismissal. But in terms of his talent, he has prototypical size for the cornerback position to go with above-average top-end speed. He gets into trouble in coverage on occasion because of a lack of proper footwork and technique, but makes up for it with good athleticism and fluidity, and he's effective in press technique because of his physicality.

Jeremiah's assessment; #31 overall
Analysis

Peters has good size, play speed and ball skills for the cornerback position. He is better in press coverage than when he lines up in off coverage. He flashes a quick two-hand jam to re-route wide receivers, and he has plenty of speed to carry vertical routes. He is fluid when he opens his hips and he maintains leverage. From off coverage, he is a little sticky out of his plant and he is late to key/read patterns. He is a catch tackler in run support. He had some off-field issues at Washington and he was dismissed from the team. Overall, he has starter ability, but there are some questions that need to be answered in the spring.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see what you're doing Blue. Good work.

Outside of FA, it will be hard to get the type of CB we want opposite Slay. The way I see it, we have to get lucky in the draft or pay.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^
Exactly my point, Lionstop1
Mayhew stated last year, he was looking for CB's that were 1.) Big...6'0 + 190 lbs + long-rangy that have sub 4.5 speed.... well with parameters, you can exclude quite a lot of this years prospects. Guys who fit the height-weight.. don't know the speed aspect yet are

LSU Jalen Collins 6' 2" 198 lbs. (only 10 games started but athletically gifted)
MSU Trae Waynes 6' 1" but only 182 lbs.
FSU PJ Williams 6' 1" 195 lbs
WAS Marcus Peters ? 6' 0" or is he 5' 11" ? 195 lbs.
WF.. Kevin Johnson 6' 1" but only 175 lbs. (he's out more than likely)
MOH Quinten Rollins 6' 0" 193 lbs. (he only has yr but has the athleticism)
STA..Alex Carder 6' 0" 200 lbs
USC Josh Shaw 6' 1" 198 lbs (he was the 1 who lied about saving nephew, should be a FS/SS)
MFL LaDarius Gunter 6' 1" 200 (rated #131 by CBS)

not that many prospects if Mayhew is still sticking to his former statement 6'0+ 190 lbs. +

that's all.....retired

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we keep Suh (and either Mosely or Fairly) and pick up a Guard in FA then I am down with drafting a CB at 23.

IMO it makes more sense to get a CB in FA and draft a Guard because you never know what you will get drafting a CB, but Guard is usually pretty safe.

I just want to do it the other way around so we can draft BPA.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As it stands right now, if Suh is the only DT signed long-term (maybe Mosley gets a 1-3 yr contract), I'll turn my attention to Tex DT Malcom Brown in the 1st rd as he'd be another long-term DL (if he's still available, prefer Shelton but that isn't going to happen). There are far less quality DT's in this draft than CB, both of which will be thinned out drastically by our 2nd rd pick at #54, JMO at this juncture.

Should Mayhew do the smart thing and sign FA C Hudson that may sway my choice of position. I'm not counting on CB's Waynes or Peters being available at #23 and there isn't any other CB's worthy of 1st rd consideration, IMO.