• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Derek Jeter Vs Pete Rose

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at Jeter's numbers one more time and I change my answer... I would rather have Jeter Statistically... He was much better on the bases than I thought, and therefore he would be more of a prototypical leadoff hitter... And I would always take a lead off hitter over a number 2 hitter as long as their numbers are similar...

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeter was better in every major statistic(OBP,BA,HR,SB) and had better 162 game average for Runs and RBIs

You can't just look at raw numbers though, the two played in very different eras where the same contributions would have rather different values.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't go wrong with either. I'll take Rose, though. Better OPS+ even with an extra 5 years in decline more than Jeter due to chasing Cobb. If he'd hung them up at 40 like Jeter did, some of his other rate stats would be better too. I'm not sure how you get Jeter to 45 YO hitting .277 per year considering what he did his last 2, as someone suggested. Rose's post season stats were very similar to Jeter's also, though he played in fewer than 1/2 as many games. Both were adequate-at-best fielders. Rose was more versatile. Jeter was a much better base stealer and hit more bombs. Rose hit more doubles and triples and struck out a lot less. I watched Rose play a lot during his prime. He was really good, guys. I hated his guts fwiw. It's a toss up really.