• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Defensive Weakness

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Amos gone, I feel the weakest link now is Amukamara. He played over his head last year but I'm predicting he will decline this year. Luckily for him, the front 4 provides a lot of pressure which would help him out. But make no mistake about it, he will be the target of many offenses.

I'm hoping our young DBs can step up, which doesn't appear to be that farfetched based on what i've been reading.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's 30 years old. I agree he is a weaker spot. He was the target of most offenses last year too. A good majority of that is because of Kyle Fuller, who should finally be mentioned among the best in the league, because he is.

I think Prince is a savy vet tho, that should be good for another year.

Tolliver is a good player. He will be fine, if needed.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Prince is indeed the weakest link on the D, and a decent argument can be made on that claim, then it just goes to show what a damn good defense we have out there. Because he played quite decently last season. But if he is a candidate for replacement after this year, which I believe is all but a foregone conclusion, I think it will be due more to his effect on the salary cap than his state of play. And of course being on the wrong side of 30 won't help his cause either.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My (weakest link) biggest concern defensively is about the coaching staff. Man I loved Fangio and yet I hated his play style of bend but dont break.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My (weakest link) biggest concern defensively is about the coaching staff. Man I loved Fangio and yet I hated his play style of bend but dont break.
From what I understand, Fangio was more bend but don't break while Pagano is more aggressive to force mistakes like when he coached the Ravens Defense. This will be an interesting change to watch.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amukamura could be it. Haha Clinton-Dix could also be the weak spot. Other than those two question marks, they are stellar at every position. I could see Haha making some mistakes that would cost touchdowns. I could also see prince getting burned every possession.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I understand, Fangio was more bend but don't break while Pagano is more aggressive to force mistakes like when he coached the Ravens Defense. This will be an interesting change to watch.
I like Pagano's aggressive style better myself but I have to admit what Fangio did was stellar. We even played good D before we had any talent. I think it's gonna be a fun defense to watch.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amukamura could be it. Haha Clinton-Dix could also be the weak spot. Other than those two question marks, they are stellar at every position. I could see Haha making some mistakes that would cost touchdowns. I could also see prince getting burned every possession.

If that was the case his role as a starter would last about one game.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Pagano's aggressive style better myself but I have to admit what Fangio did was stellar. We even played good D before we had any talent. I think it's gonna be a fun defense to watch.

Something rubs me a bit wrong about Pagano...seems like a bit of dummy. Maybe it's just that he's somewhat responsible for the dumbest play in football history.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something rubs me a bit wrong about Pagano...

Any decent DC would look good with the talent we have. Pagano is thought of as much better then decent. I know nothing of the guy. Losing Fangio sucks but it might turn out good as the defense is now fully operational and chuck will turn it loose.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prince is probably a better cover corner than Fuller....Fuller is a better athlete. But Amukamara is technically sound and doesn't make a lot of mistakes.

I could see a regression based on his age....or if there are injuries in the front 7 that decimate the pass rush. That's the biggest problem with the Bears style coverage....it's gonna break down if the pass rush isn't there. Even Fuller is gonna regress is the front doesn't get pressure.

For me the weakest link is gonna the be the slot/nickel corner....Skrine or whoever else lines up there....until they prove themselves.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prince is probably a better cover corner than Fuller....Fuller is a better athlete. But Amukamara is technically sound and doesn't make a lot of mistakes.

I could see a regression based on his age....or if there are injuries in the front 7 that decimate the pass rush. That's the biggest problem with the Bears style coverage....it's gonna break down if the pass rush isn't there. Even Fuller is gonna regress is the front doesn't get pressure.

For me the weakest link is gonna the be the slot/nickel corner....Skrine or whoever else lines up there....until they prove themselves.

I disagree. Fuller is a much better cover corner than Prince. Fuller is pretty much better than Prince in everything related to the CB position.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuller is a better athlete and his athleticism makes up for a lot of mistakes that he will make.

Prince is a lesser athlete but makes up for it by being one of the most technically sound CBs in the league. He will get targeted and picked on more because he can be beat by highly athletic wide receivers....but because he's smart and knows how to play the position he's still really effective most of the time.

Fuller is going to defend more passes and get more picks while Amukamara is gonna lead in tackles because he's likely to be targeted more often. Fuller has big play ability while Prince is steady and unspectacular but really solid.

I don't really have an issue with either of our corners....two seasons ago I would have said differently. I thought it was a mistake banking on them to be starters and it worked in part thanks to the resurgence of the front 7. I was still skeptical last year of Fuller and he again proved himself. CB was a weakness for a while, as was safety, and now they seem like a strength.

I remain skeptical of the nickel back situation.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuller is a better athlete and his athleticism makes up for a lot of mistakes that he will make.

Prince is a lesser athlete but makes up for it by being one of the most technically sound CBs in the league. He will get targeted and picked on more because he can be beat by highly athletic wide receivers....but because he's smart and knows how to play the position he's still really effective most of the time.

Fuller is going to defend more passes and get more picks while Amukamara is gonna lead in tackles because he's likely to be targeted more often. Fuller has big play ability while Prince is steady and unspectacular but really solid.

I don't really have an issue with either of our corners....two seasons ago I would have said differently. I thought it was a mistake banking on them to be starters and it worked in part thanks to the resurgence of the front 7. I was still skeptical last year of Fuller and he again proved himself. CB was a weakness for a while, as was safety, and now they seem like a strength.

I remain skeptical of the nickel back situation.

Fuller's athleticism makes him a better CB. Deion Sanders wasn't exactly technically sound either but he played it a certain way knowing he can make up for it with his speed. I don't see Prince being a better CB than Fuller at all. And I don't think it's even close. Amukamara will come back down to earth this season i predict.

I actually am not worried about our nickel. Between McManis, Tolliver, Skrine and even Shelley, I think we'll be fine. All of our CBs have the benefit of our great front 7.

Back to topic. If Amukmara is the weakness, Leonard Floyd is the key. If Floyd is able to live up to his hype being a great pass rusher, we won't have to worry at all about any of our CB positions. I read somewhere the coaching staff says Leonard Floyd has better natural pass rushing skills than even Mack. What sets Floyd back is apparently all technique.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuller has EXCELLENT technique. Prince is a good corner with veteran savy.

Fuller is a top 5 CB in the league. There is no question who is better.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuller's athleticism makes him a better CB. Deion Sanders wasn't exactly technically sound either but he played it a certain way knowing he can make up for it with his speed. I don't see Prince being a better CB than Fuller at all. And I don't think it's even close. Amukamara will come back down to earth this season i predict.

I actually am not worried about our nickel. Between McManis, Tolliver, Skrine and even Shelley, I think we'll be fine. All of our CBs have the benefit of our great front 7.

I don't think Prince is the better CB. I think he's a better coverage corner in terms of technical skill. Fuller is definitely the better overall player. Fuller is way better in zone, has better reactions, and can physically make plays that Prince can't.

Tolliver gives me some hope. I didn't hate what I saw from him last season. Shelley definitely has potential but he's gonna be a project. McManis is Mr. Reliable and comes from the best University in the nation. Skrine....I don't like at all. But hopefully the rest of the defense is so good and healthy it won't matter.

The front 7 is where it all begins and if Floyd picks up where he left off last season...they can be even better.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuller has EXCELLENT technique. Prince is a good corner with veteran savy.

Fuller is a top 5 CB in the league. There is no question who is better.

Fuller doesn't have excellent technique. Fuller has excellent athleticism, quickness, instincts, and reaction time. He can make mistakes and recover and no one will notice he made a mistake.

I'd have Fuller somewhere in the my top 10 in the league.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuller doesn't have excellent technique. Fuller has excellent athleticism, quickness, instincts, and reaction time. He can make mistakes and recover and no one will notice he made a mistake.

I'd have Fuller somewhere in the my top 10 in the league.
I respectfully disagree. You don't become one of the better corners in the league by accident. He's not Deion.

It doesn't matter I suppose. Bottom line, is he's a dawg and I am glad we have him.