• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Defense is becoming a problem

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Wheeler will get a Sept callup next year. 2012/13 is his projected rotation appearance. Hopefully he makes Zito tradeable, and I think we're entering into a window of tradeability for Barry as his contract nears its conclusion.

Patience is such a difficult virtue to obtain. Thanks, tzill.

xxERICSMITHXX

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
True. Very slight. What are the chances Sabean gets lucky enough to have Huff and Hardy return to '08 form?

Hardy is one the guys I want next year. He still plays great defense and there is always a chance his bat returns, but even if his bat doesn't return he is still an above average short stop. I think the Giants have to make a run at him for next year.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hardy is one the guys I want next year. He still plays great defense and there is always a chance his bat returns, but even if his bat doesn't return he is still an above average short stop. I think the Giants have to make a run at him for next year.

I'd be surprised if they don't.

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate to say it but Tito has been banging the 'we should be built on speed' drum for a while, underneath his insanity.

Building on speed is fine but that speed has to be able to get on base at a good clip, and be able to steal bases. Other then Torres the Giants just don't have anyone and there isn't anyone in the Minors that is close to ready. The Giants tried to address speed in the last draft with their 1st 3 picks; Gary Brown, Jarrett Parker, and Carter Jurica all speed guys and all Juniors in College. So hopefully in a couple years they will be ready to contribute.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Could be another good low-risk gamble. I'd welcome it. I would think he could be had for about the same contract that tzill was talking about for Uribe, no? 2 years at 5 mil per? Less? What's your take on Jhonny Peralta, Eric? Enough of an upgrade over Hardy or Uribe to warrant the extra coin? From what I've seen of him he has better range than Uribe, but probably around the same as Hardy. I think U and J.J. have better arms, though. All three have extremely similar slashes on the offensive side with Hardy edging out the batting average battle, but giving a few points to Peralta and Uribe with OPS.

Hardy - .259/.308/.385
Uribe - .249/.312/.427
Peralta - .249/.315/.407

Just looking at the numbers, it seems Peralta is a 28 year-old version of Uribe, which is an upgrade in itself, but add some impressive defensive shortstop (8.428 UZR to Hardy's 5.379 and Uribe's 6.523), and I might lean towards pursuing Peralta. How much bigger of a contract do you think he would demand?

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Building on speed is fine but that speed has to be able to get on base at a good clip, and be able to steal bases. Other then Torres the Giants just don't have anyone and there isn't anyone in the Minors that is close to ready. The Giants tried to address speed in the last draft with their 1st 3 picks; Gary Brown, Jarrett Parker, and Carter Jurica all speed guys and all Juniors in College. So hopefully in a couple years they will be ready to contribute.

Nice. Hope those guys pan out. Good fielding and base running are my favorite parts of baseball. Maybe because they were the only things I did well when I played. :). Thanks for the info.