• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

December 7th, 70 years ago

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
War in the Pacific was a bitch. I'm a big history buff and love learning more about DubDubII. After reading several books about Guadalcanal, Peleliu, etc, I have nothing but gratitude for any that has stepped foot over there. They went through some shit.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
War in the Pacific was a bitch. I'm a big history buff and love learning more about DubDubII. After reading several books about Guadalcanal, Peleliu, etc, I have nothing but gratitude for any that has stepped foot over there. They went through some shit.

Any fighting on the islands was absolute hell. We nuked Japan not because we needed to do it to win, but because the only way to get them to stop fighting was to show that we could kill them all with overwhelming force. It actually saved lives on both sides, though I would hate, absolutely hate being the one to make the call. WW2 Pacific was even worse than WW2 Europe and that's saying something.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent photos WW. Thank you for putting them up. :thumb:

dec7big.jpg

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biological father is/was (may be retired) a Master Sergeant in the Air Force... unfortunately I only talked to him a couple times, don't know much about him. I respect him for what he did though. As well as everyone else who has fought in any war for this country.

:usa2:

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
s11e.jpg

Was not my country, were not my servicemen but I will always remember their sacrifice and those that did so in the past and are doing in the present and will again do in the future.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
c8aa2.jpg

Shirt Im wearing at the office today....

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I absolutely hate how my generation forgets this day. They should be reminded that this would be like our grandkids ignoring what happened on 9/11. NEVER FORGET these moments and the sacrifice our forefathers made. I can't even imagine being on the island the day this happened. That many planes flying so low, with no care if they lived or died. When your enemy doesn't care about their own well-being, you're facing the most dangerous enemy of all. I don't have any immediate family that served directly in the WWs (grandpa had rheumatic fever as a kid, wouldn't let him serve, just a reserve; other grandpa was stationed in alaska), but I do have members that served in any way they could for their country. I pray our country remembers this day, and remembers what it means to unite as a country.

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Dad was in the European Theatre...P-51 jockey. Crashed, badly burned, spent a couple of yrs in the hospital. That's how he met Mom...she was his nurse.

When I think of all that he overcame, and what his generation sacrificed, it makes the troubles we face today look trivial.

GagneFire12

Miley Cyrus, say what?
In a flat with tinted sunlight and creaky floorboa
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any fighting on the islands was absolute hell. We nuked Japan not because we needed to do it to win, but because the only way to get them to stop fighting was to show that we could kill them all with overwhelming force. It actually saved lives on both sides, though I would hate, absolutely hate being the one to make the call. WW2 Pacific was even worse than WW2 Europe and that's saying something.

The United States nuked Japan to make a statement to The Soviet Union - tread lightly. I still don't buy that it was necessary. However, I digress. Today is about all the brave men and women who lost their lives on that fateful day.

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just got off the phone with my dad (also a veteran). This day is special for two reasons. It's his birthday too.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was quite a day, one that should be and is remembered.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great thread guys. I too hate how much my generation overlooks this anniversary.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i took these pictures when I visited back a couple years ago

this is the Turret from the USS Arizona (you can see the other memorial spots in the distance)

NY7KPHO.jpg

This is where the USS Arizona lies

g5TJffs.jpg

lXt2z2v.jpg

and this is oil/fuel that still leaks from the Arizona from more than 70 years ago. this one always gets me its like tears from the ship. I find it poetic that those that survived and pass have the right and have chosen to be buried in the Arizona with their ship mates. Im canadian and I Will never forget. RIP to all those lost on this day

GggT9yU.jpg