• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dec 7, 1941

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Already learning stuff. Had no idea the German u-boats sunk thousands of ships.

Did you know that most people assume that they are called U-Boats because of their shape, but it's because that was the letter of the model that worked when testing them.

Kind of like the Model-T Ford automobile.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is, I never have any idea whether you are pulling my leg or you are being deadly serious. :ohwell:

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is, I never have any idea whether you are pulling my leg or you are being deadly serious. :ohwell:

And did you also know that the English translation was wrong. Someone in the military translated it to say U-Boat when it is actually U-Boot, short for Unterseaboot.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Already learning stuff. Had no idea the German u-boats sunk thousands of ships.

Ya, das Volfpack was a real menace. If you want to learn more, a really good book is Richard Overy's Why the Allies Won.

why-allies-won-r-j-overy-paperback-cover-art.jpg

Or you can check out a number of other great books on world war II or any other point in history at your local library.

Last edited by a moderator:

kenyg54

Only sane person out here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Don't forget December 8, 1941 either - Franklin D. Roosevelt's Infamy Speech

Yesterday, December 7, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy - the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.

The United States was at peace with that nation and, at the solicitation of Japan, was still in conversation with its Government and its Emperor looking toward the maintenance of peace in the Pacific. Indeed, one hour after Japanese air squadrons had commenced bombing in Oahu, the Japanese Ambassador to the United States and his colleague delivered to the Secretary of State a formal reply to a recent American message. While this reply stated that it seemed useless to continue the existing diplomatic negotiations, it contained no threat or hint of war or armed attack.

It will be recorded that the distance of Hawaii from Japan makes it obvious that the attack was deliberately planned many days or even weeks ago. During the intervening time the Japanese Government has deliberately sought to deceive the United States by false statements and expressions of hope for continued peace.

The attack yesterday on the Hawaiian Islands has caused severe damage to American naval and military forces. Very many American lives have been lost. In addition American ships have been reported torpedoed on the high seas between San Francisco and Honolulu.

Yesterday the Japanese Government also launched an attack against Malaya. Last night Japanese forces attacked Hong Kong. Last night Japanese forces attacked Guam. Last night Japanese forces attacked the Philippine Islands. Last night the Japanese attacked Wake Island. This morning the Japanese attacked Midway Island.

Japan has, therefore, undertaken a surprise offensive extending throughout the Pacific area. The facts of yesterday speak for themselves. The people of the United States have already formed their opinions and well understand the implications to the very life and safety of our nation.

As Commander-in-Chief of the Army and Navy, I have directed that all measures be taken for our defense.

Always will we remember the character of the onslaught against us. No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory.

I believe I interpret the will of the Congress and of the people when I assert that we will not only defend ourselves to the uttermost but will make very certain that this form of treachery shall never endanger us again.

Hostilities exist. There is no blinking at the fact that our people, our territory and our interests are in grave danger.

With confidence in our armed forces - with the unbounded determination of our people - we will gain the inevitable triumph - so help us God.

I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on Sunday, December seventh, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Japanese Empire.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as we should not forget the attack, we should not foget that Japan is one of our nations best allies.

us-japan-flag.gi.top.jpg

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, we don't remember. My father lied about his age (as did many) to join the service. My generation (including myself) lied about are age to get into the bar. No wonder we are jumping off the fiscal cliff.

My wife's grandfather, an Oahu native, playing college football in the states at the time, joined immediately as well.

Unfortunately was shot down overseas during his service.

Lil Biz's middle name is in honor of him.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I try not to forget Dec. 6th because it is my mom's birthday. Happy birthday Mom!

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Currently reading "Winter of the World" (second of the Ken Follett century trilogy), and about to get to this part. What a generation.

BTW: highly recommend that series.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't figure out if Pearl Harbor is one of the worst war movies I've ever seen, or one of the best chick flicks I've ever seen.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A sad day, but a proud day when Americza showed its resolve almost overnight to fight a war the majority of the country opposed prior to Pearl Harbor.

To tie it to hockey, I looked up scores of who was in action on 7 December, 1941. NHL scores of that day:

Dec 7 1941

Montreal v Detroit 2-3
Brooklyn v Chicago 4-5
Boston v NY Rangers 4-5

The Brooklyn Americans folded a year later, partly due to players who enlisted and became unavailable to the team.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To continue the hockey theme, on December 7th, 2014, the Oilers recorded their first win against a Western Conference opponent.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget MacArthur snoozing in the Philippines on the 8th and letting our air force get crushed