• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Debate:Calvin Johnson vs Adrian Peterson

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will be this year. Guy averaged 1200 yards a year the last 3 years playing behind a bad OL with no weapons on the outside to protect him. There arent 3 or 4 guys in the league Id take ahead of him for sure if thats what you are asking. AP for sure. After that its a clusted of Lynch, Gore, Jackson, Rice, Foster and Charles

I think you may be overvaluing Stephen Jackson just a bit. He is a solid RB and a guy you can feed the ball to 20+ times a game, but that isn't going to be what he gets in Atlanta, IMO. I definitely wouldn't mind him being on the Lions, but with 2400 carries under his belt and turning 30 -- IMO, his production in Atlanta won't be what it was for the Rams.

In STL, he was the workhorse -- he received all the carries and caught the ball out of the backfield. In Atlanta, he will get the majority of the carries, but JacQuizz Rogers is their 3rd down back who catches the ball out of the backfield, as well as their change of pace back. So Jackson's carries will more than likely go down. Also in Atlanta -- they have Roddy White, Julio Jones and Tony Gonzalez, so he won't be the focal point he was in STL.

I think he will still put up comparable numbers to what he did in STL, but I don't think he will put up top 3-4 RB stats.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are adding one of the 3 or 4 best RB's in the game

If you had said one of the top 3 or 4 most durable RBs in the game -- I could agree with that. Stephen Jackson hasn't been one of the best 3 or 4 RBs since probably 2009.

Adrian Peterson
Ray Rice
Maurice Jones-Drew
LeShaun McCoy
Arian Foster
Marshaun Lynch

and if you want to go the homerun route for your RB position

Chris Johnson
Jamaal Charles

or the newcomer route, who still have to prove they can do it year in and year out

Doug Martin
Alfred Morris

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you may be overvaluing Stephen Jackson just a bit. He is a solid RB and a guy you can feed the ball to 20+ times a game, but that isn't going to be what he gets in Atlanta, IMO. I definitely wouldn't mind him being on the Lions, but with 2400 carries under his belt and turning 30 -- IMO, his production in Atlanta won't be what it was for the Rams.

In STL, he was the workhorse -- he received all the carries and caught the ball out of the backfield. In Atlanta, he will get the majority of the carries, but JacQuizz Rogers is their 3rd down back who catches the ball out of the backfield, as well as their change of pace back. So Jackson's carries will more than likely go down. Also in Atlanta -- they have Roddy White, Julio Jones and Tony Gonzalez, so he won't be the focal point he was in STL.

I think he will still put up comparable numbers to what he did in STL, but I don't think he will put up top 3-4 RB stats.

You are looking at what Atlanta did last year because they had to ( because Turner sucked). The prior 3-4 years Atlanta was primarily a run team and thats what Mike Smith wants to be. IF Steven Jackson is at the level he has been the last 3-4 years with STL he will average probably 5 ypc and get easy 1500+ yards with Atlanta this year IMO. Because thats twhat Turner got before he fell off the cliff and Jackson has been better than Turner.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are looking at what Atlanta did last year because they had to ( because Turner sucked). The prior 3-4 years Atlanta was primarily a run team and thats what Mike Smith wants to be. IF Steven Jackson is at the level he has been the last 3-4 years with STL he will average probably 5 ypc and get easy 1500+ yards with Atlanta this year IMO. Because thats twhat Turner got before he fell off the cliff and Jackson has been better than Turner.

Stephen Jackson will be 30 years old before the season starts. He has had almost 2400 carries in the NFL. He has had over 1500 yards once in his career and he was 23 years old at the time. If it was 3 or 4 years ago and he went to a team like Atlanta -- I would say absolutely.

At 30, with the amount of wear and tear he has had as the workhorse in STL, you honestly think he will do something he has done 1 time in his career (rush for 1500+ yards) and average 5 ypc (when his career average is 4.2).

I actually think you will see a drop in his production in Atlanta, as he will lose carries to rogers, as well as receptions and Atlanta has to keep their wideouts happy. I do think his TD production will go up though.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say he was always injured. He's always hurt! Didn't finish several games out last year. And moved into less of a feature back role since his body couldn't take the beating anymore. SJ was a great back for a number of years, but he's not anymore. I'd know I always draft his ass in fantasy football. And every year, I wish I hadn't.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not top 5 back. Better backs:
Adrian Peterson
Jamaal Charles
Ray Rice
Doug Martin
MJD
Matt Forte
Lesean McCoy
Fred Jackson

He's a great back. One that I wanted us to sign pre-Bush, but he is not what he once was.

There are probably a lot more, but you have to be making a silly argument for any of those guys to be conside\

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's something that has been on my mind for a few weeks. Let's say AP gave the Lions 2000 yds on the ground last season, would they have won more games?

Doubtful... losing starters on defense with backup replacements that never played the position killed most opportunities. Even when the offense played laid back style and stayed within striking distances until the 4th quarter the defense folded under pressure. AP might've been just another fall guy for a team loss to take the heat off the real problem. Before the season even started I believed the fan base assessment of the team issues were dead on. Me thinks the Brass figured it out the hard way!! :laugh3:

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see a possibility of SJ being a top 5 RB this year. I dont expect it, but it wouldnt surprise me either. Yes he is going to be 30 (or already is). But there is no golden rule that every RB will decline as soon as he hits thirty. Sometimes it can be 31 or 32. Some will last longer and some will not last as long. He had 257 carries last year for over 1000 yards. With a defense having to pay more attention to the recievers, he could easily surpass that with less carries.

Personally I see him getting in the 1200 area with 8 TDs, but he will get a few hundred in the passing game as well.

Not top 5 IMO this year, but top 10 easily and wouldnt surprise me if he did have that one reviving year this year and ended up higher.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I see him getting in the 1200 area with 8 TDs, but he will get a few hundred in the passing game as well.

I agree -- I think 1200 is realistic if he plays 16 games. I just don't see him rushing for 1500+ after 2400 carries in the NFL. If he was 5 years younger and went to the 2013 Falcons -- I would say absolutely top 5 back guaranteed. His body has taken a beating though and I think he will lose not only carries, but receiving yards to Rodgers. I wouldn't be suprised to see him get double digit touchdowns though.