• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Deano Speaks: Sutter, Looch etc

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I had posted the tweets in the offseason thread but what really sticks out is the "‘you can’t recreate, you have to reinvent". I think for Kings players, they coasted into the PO thinking they could just turn it on but they couldn't adapt and change their game.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had posted the tweets in the offseason thread but what really sticks out is the "‘you can’t recreate, you have to reinvent". I think for Kings players, they coasted into the PO thinking they could just turn it on but they couldn't adapt and change their game.

Posted this in the offseason thread myself, also mentioned mentioned I noticed the Kings didn't seem to care in January that they were 16 points up on Anaheim and thought they had everything in the bag. This is the "arrogance" Dumbo mentioned, the complacency - we don't have to do shit, we are the LA Kings and in 1st place in January! Woo hoo! Well it was proven you did need to care and you didn't and got your just rewards.

I felt this way about LA this season but never quite could put my finger on it until Dumbo said "stagnation". No better word for it, there needs to be some retooling and change in attitude internally.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Similar post, but for some reason Sutter's comments don't sit too well with me. He's going to wait to see what the Kings do in Free Agency, the Draft, and with specific personnel before making a decision. That's his right, but it just seems like he's not as all in as everyone should be.

Conversely, I really like with Lombardi is saying and he specifically calls out the mentality that the Kings have had the past few years of "If the Kings just make the Playoffs, they know how to win", which is a very complacent mentality. So he's taking the first few weeks to start over like they did 7 years ago, from scouting, to coaching, to personnel to try to make sure they are doing everything they can to make sure everyone is hungry.

I think Kelly Chase would say it all of the time on NHL Network, that "It's hard to eat when your belly is full", so I really like Lombardi addressing every level to see who's still hungry and who still wants to win.

Gonna be an interesting summer.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all fairness maybe Sutter isn't that coach anymore. I think he is a great coach who has done a wonderful job, but just like all coaches before him the message doesn't get through anymore, especially when you have a group that has been together (most of them anyway) for 5-8-10 years.

Also keep in mind the dude is a farmer by nature first and foremost; if I recall he was throwing mud when Dumbo reached out to him in 2011 as he wasn't even coaching. That is his true love, and he has accomplished quite a bit at the NHL level. The man has nothing left to prove and maybe wants to just spend time growing his produce, who knows.He has professionally accomplished what he set out to do and has earned that right IMO.

That said, if Sutter does not accept the Kings already have a different voice on the bench in John Stevens, who I think is actually a really good assistant coach. There aren't too many names out there anyway, and I don't want the Kings to look at someone like Guy Boucher who only knows a 1-2-2 trap system and not much else and then gets kudos and accolades for implementing a Junior level hockey system. Congratulations, you brought Bantam hockey to the NHL level!

This team, for all its shortcomings the last 2 seasons, is still a championship caliber team with some minor tweaking necessary. Someone like him would waste this window and not get them to another Cup so I would want someone who is either a) experienced and knows how to handle a veteran team or b) is very innovative and can make things happen with this group.

I just don't see anyone out there honestly but that could change real soon as coaches get let go.