• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

DC Austin 1 of 4 new Coordinators making a big impact

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions DC Teryl Austin is 1 of 4 Coordinator's to make a big impact with a new team, as he is the only DC of the four. Min-OC Norv Turner, Mia-OC Bill Lazor and Cincy-OC Hue Jackson are the other 3 being recognized through the 1st quarter of games played.

With head-coaching changes often come coordinator changes, as a total of 22 new coordinators were hired this past offseason. The impact of coordinators can be driven by new personnel, a new scheme or -- in some cases -- simply a new personality overseeing similar personnel and running familiar concepts. On occasion, a change in voice is precisely what a team needs, much more so than an overhaul of players or a new X's-and-O's approach.
With most teams at the quarter mark of the NFL's regular season, here's a look at a handful of coordinator changes that have made a substantial impact early on.

Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin

From a statistical standpoint, Austin's early impact matches any other coordinator change in the NFL. The Lions rank first in the NFL in total defense through four games, allowing 79.3 fewer yards per game and just 15.0 points per game, down from 23.5 per game last season. Detroit has significant investments and an abundance of talent in its front seven, but the secondary was an area of concern entering the season.

What stands out in watching Detroit this year -- and this particularly crystallized against the potent Packers in Week 3 -- is Austin's willingness to put his secondary in a comfortable spot by relying on just four pass-rushers. The Lions played Green Bay with an abundance of two-deep safety looks, mitigating the pressure on their cornerbacks in coverage against the Packers' talented receiver duo of Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb. Safety help worked to build an umbrella over Nelson, an excellent deep threat.

So far the Lions have blitzed on just 25.7 percent of opposing teams' dropbacks, per ESPN Stats & Info, which ranks 20th in the league. Austin is finding ways to wisely insulate his secondary through his schemes.

Last edited by a moderator:

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pressure with lack of blitzing is surprising. I thought he was going to have more blitzing. Him blitzing in situations is paying dividends. Showing a blitz and backing out is also screwing up blocking calls. Still early and I'm still skeptical... but am loving early results.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blitzes are great. The threat of a blitz is also great. That's where stunts become effective. You don't have to blitz every down in order to create the perception that you could.

This is why I despised the Gunther hire 6 years ago. He was always vanilla and Schwartz didn't do him any favors by pushing the wide 9(that should be a situational formation) on him. I can't tell you how stoked I am to see some innovation on defense.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gunther was not vanilla, he love the blitz. He was just a good company man and would run his head coach's scheme. He talked a lot about press man and blitzing. We did neither because Schwartz was a no talent ass clown.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Austin we trust

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gunther was plain Jane in KC too.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was running Here Edwards defense in KC. He madea name for himself his first stint in KC using high pressure defenses.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 games in!

I will not get overly excited until game 12. I like what Austin has done but I can't think a bad Jets team and a misfiring Eli Manning helped contribute to the Lions success.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a couple successful defenses what like 15-20 years ago? He was a puppet after that with bad defenses.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 games in!

I will not get overly excited until game 12. I like what Austin has done but I can't think a bad Jets team and a misfiring Eli Manning helped contribute to the Lions success.

Shutting down Packers count or not? Not saying the D will stay in top5-10 range. I am surely liking the future though. Not really looking at who they play. It is how they play.

This past weekend showed doesn't matter who you are. You can win on any given Sunday. I will not discredit the Jets. They just may be a division winner. Sad but true.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gunther was not vanilla, he love the blitz. He was just a good company man and would run his head coach's scheme. He talked a lot about press man and blitzing. We did neither because Schwartz was a no talent ass clown.

This.

Gunther lived on the blitz in KC. Schwartz was just too proud to utilize any players who weren't his favorites. That guy was a horrible head coach- he's the type who needs someone in charge of him to minimize his arrogance and the horrible decision-making that arrogance often lead to...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a couple successful defenses what like 15-20 years ago? He was a puppet after that with bad defenses.

He did well when he was allowed to call the defense.

Then, under two defensive head coaches who wanted him to run their scheme, their way, he didn't do well at all.

Can't blame him when he was a puppet running a defense that wasn't his.

I'm not trying to defend the job he did for us, but if anyone wants to place blame for our defense in the Jim Schwartz (dark) era, blame the man who was our true D-coordinator during that run...

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We playing the blame game? I love this game.....I get to bitch more.....Lot's of blame to go around....I blame smitty for blaming Mayhew.....

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I blame the Filipino Cupid ad for forgetting who I was going to blame and for what.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fire Mayhew, and maybe the new guy can find an OC.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford has to have some accountability for his ineptitude, not solely blaming the OC or jim bob pootie tanger, IMO. A lot of Stafford's problems arise from he's always gotten away with mental lapses and it's a repetitive learned memory on his part since at least his college days. It's difficult to break those memory habits but I'm not making excuses for him. Schwartz and Linny are part of the blame also, as they never, according to statements released, tutored him to be accountable for his on-field decision making.. JMO