• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dave Razzano

bing_blunt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm fine with people saying Alex Smith hasn't changed much... as long as they acknowledge that he was screwed by offensive coordinators and coaches for the past 3 years.

So sure, he hasn't changed much... cause he was never that bad. He's still not a top 10 QB in the league. But he is a solid starter who can manage games and come up with some good throws. Let's see what he does with a healthy Edwards and Crabtree.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a problem with people saying that Alex is a facade (Stephen A. Smith), is a product of Harbaugh, a game manager, can't keep up his current play, etc. but I do have a problem saying that he's no different. Razzano basically says it's all Harbaugh because of scheme or emphasis on ball control. Smith has made mistakes in the past even on simple low risk plays and with coaches that emphasized ball control to a fault. This year he hasn't (though some passes were lucky not to be picked) in the grand scheme of things. That, to me is different, whether or not he continues and whether this is effective is the question.

This stuff is what makes me feel that these professionals are the same as us fans in that they, like we, can have an ego or pride. They in the past exaggerated his suckitude and predicted worse than needed for Smith's future and capabilities - and while to an extent they may be right, to another extent it seems to be on the defensive (like me, here, I guess).

To those who say he's a game manager or a facade, fine. I have no qualms about that. That isn't pride but rather opinion speaking. But to those that go further and say there's no difference or that it's all just hidden stuff and then goes on to say that we can't throw when needed (Philadelphia game) or make a play when it counts (Detroit - they don't make the argument Clyde does, which is reasonable, but rather say they can't do it). Or that it's ALL Harbaugh, as opposed to because of Harbaugh, that gets me. Does it hurt to say, as most do, that he's played well enough?

Edit: This was written without seeing bing blunt's post, so just in case - I'm not lumping you into this group. Haven't changed much is different than "no different". If I thought the no different was simply innocent, and not meaning to deflect any little credit Smith has, I'd be fine. But "no different" here is said as to achieve that point. "Not that much" to me is innocent of bias/pride.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the beat writers tweeted that article earlier. My response: You lost me at Rachel's a stud. I didn't bother reading the rest.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit they edited the article after I pointed that out to them. That is fucking sad. Pretty lame that they would change Razzano's quote. It is nice to know I embarrassed him.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically that means Razzano really has only watched a few games. He didn't know how to spell Rachal and he also thought he was a stud still starting. Exposed.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Even in its apparently edited form, this reads like Razzano hasn't watched a Niner game this season. A few quotes that still stand out:

They run Gore and he gets six or seven yards on first down.

Over the past couple games, maybe. In the first three, Gore was all but useless. We still went 2-1.

They run it and stop the run and their schedule is easy [coming up; ED note: this initially was misstated to say the schedule had been easy]

First, BS it was misstated. Razzano is talking about their success to date, not their chances for the playoffs. And their schedule, especially considering the travel, has been pretty darn tough.

They***8217;ve always had good linemen.

Whaaaaaaa??? They've always had talented OL. They certainly haven't always had good OL.

***8220;The way to stop it, and this is what teams have been unable to do, you***8217;ve got to score points and force them into throwing situations.

The Eagles did it. Put up 20 points in the first half. We came out throwing in the second half and moved the ball at will against their D. I'm certainly not saying we can win consistently that way, but we beat the one team that did it to us.

The Redskins have to blitz Smith.

Except, you know, Smith is like second or third in the league against the blitz. The best bet to stop Smith is to get pressure with four and leave seven in coverage.

But Smith and Willis in the front seven, those are two legit guys. They keep guys fresh, rotating guys in.

Rotating guys in? Of our front-seven, J. Smith, McDonald, Willis, Bowman, and Brooks all play almost every snap. We've got two guys who rotate out: Sopoaga and Haralson. I can't think of any team in the league that rotates LESS in the front-seven.

Razzano is the sort of guy who gets an idea in his head and can't get it out. He's right that Smith is still limited, but his play is much-improved this year. The rest of it, well, I seriously question if Razzano has even seen this team play.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't have a problem with people saying that Alex is a facade (Stephen A. Smith), is a product of Harbaugh, a game manager, can't keep up his current play, etc. but I do have a problem saying that he's no different. Razzano basically says it's all Harbaugh because of scheme or emphasis on ball control. Smith has made mistakes in the past even on simple low risk plays and with coaches that emphasized ball control to a fault. This year he hasn't (though some passes were lucky not to be picked) in the grand scheme of things. That, to me is different, whether or not he continues and whether this is effective is the question.

But give me a team with a great scheme over great players anytime and I'll win. Players at this level are all good but a lot can be done by simply using your players properly in an innovative scheme.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the beat writers tweeted that article earlier. My response: You lost me at Rachel's a stud. I didn't bother reading the rest.

Wait, so that moron Razzano actually said Rachal was a stud too? So then you nailed it, that dude hasn't even watched a single game if he still think Rachal is starting.

That is pretty funny

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But give me a team with a great scheme over great players anytime and I'll win. Players at this level are all good but a lot can be done by simply using your players properly in an innovative scheme.

Yep, I'd take the scheme over the players. Heck, I give Harbaugh most of the credit, just not all - and if I do, my intention is not to diminish the player's work and better play (which may be implied incidentally).

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, so that moron Razzano actually said Rachal was a stud too? So then you nailed it, that dude hasn't even watched a single game if he still think Rachal is starting.

That is pretty funny

Yeah and they spelled it Rachel.

I agree Crimson about the easy schedule part. That irked me too. Now that is changed, big time BS like you said. The writer looks like a fool for using Razzano's input.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just curious what Alex Smith, or his family, did to Razzano. That guy is grinding one heck of a giant ax on Smith. He is acting like he staked his entire reputation on saying Alex Smith wasn't worth the #1 pick in 2005, and if Smith even plays half-way decent it somehow ruins him on a professional level.

Hell, we all knew Smith wasn't worth that spot, and neither was Rodgers(at the time). It isn't like either of them had phenomenal college careers. It's just that the 49ers desperately needed a QB and they were the best options in a shallow draft.

Anywho, I'll have to remember to ignore any articles written that use Razzano's opinion on the 49ers. The dude doesn't even take the time to actually watch 49ers games before he judges them, just watching box scores and saying that this is what happened.