• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dantonio pulls a Brady Hoke, puts a potentially concussed Lewerke back in play

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've gotta be kidding me re: Fickell. That was 8 years ago in a season where he took over as HC 3 months before the season started. Also, don't forget that OSU wins that game against michigan if Braxton doesn't overthrow a wide open WR for the game-winning TD. He has Cincinnati sitting at 17th nationally with players nobody knows. They averaged 5 wins a season from 2015-2017, then he won 11 games last year and could easily hit that number this year. He is a coach clearly on the rise.

Creighton is coaching in the worst conference in the nation and has his team sitting dead last in his division. That's an awful name to bring up. Fickell has his team in the driver's seat in a G5 conference that has more ranked teams than two of the P5 conferences. I get you have a "michigan over Ohio" complex, but that's just idiotic.

I couldn’t care less who MSU hires or where he comes from. But what Creighton has done at EMU is one of the most impressive coaching Performances in the country.
EMU is in a state that doesn’t have excess D1 talent to begin with and they are #5 in the pecking order for D1 programs in the state, behind UM and MSU (obviously), but also behind Western Michigan and Central Michigan, when it comes to recruiting.
They basically get the table scraps from the leftovers no one wanted.

I’ve had a half dozen of my buddies play at EMU and spent a lot of time partying in Ypsilanti with the football team in the past and still go up there once in a while with a few of them. The stands would basically be empty for games and the players just didn’t care. Creighton has completely changed the culture at EMU and people show up now for games and the players believe in the program.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn’t care less who MSU hires or where he comes from. But what Creighton has done at EMU is one of the most impressive coaching Performances in the country.
EMU is in a state that doesn’t have excess D1 talent to begin with and they are #5 in the pecking order for D1 programs in the state, behind UM and MSU (obviously), but also behind Western Michigan and Central Michigan, when it comes to recruiting.
They basically get the table scraps from the leftovers no one wanted.

I’ve had a half dozen of my buddies play at EMU and spent a lot of time partying in Ypsilanti with the football team in the past and still go up there once in a while with a few of them. The stands would basically be empty for games and the players just didn’t care. Creighton has completely changed the culture at EMU and people show up now for games and the players believe in the program.
Dude, nobody cares about Eastern Michigan or their coach and his meager improvement. Anyone that thinks he's ready to take over a higher-end P5 school right now is delusional. In the 2000s, EMU averaged 3 wins a game before Creighton got there. In his 5 full seasons, they're averaging 4.4 not including this year. Taking him over Luke Fickell is like taking a cheeseburger from Dairy Queen over an aged ribeye.

fritowrdo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, nobody cares about Eastern Michigan or their coach and his meager improvement. Anyone that thinks he's ready to take over a higher-end P5 school right now is delusional. In the 2000s, EMU averaged 3 wins a game before Creighton got there. In his 5 full seasons, they're averaging 4.4 not including this year. Taking him over Luke Fickell is like taking a cheeseburger from Dairy Queen over an aged ribeye.

Fickell would be a great hire IMO.

I think U of M fans don't like the idea because it would re-energize MSU.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're downplaying Creighton here. Nothing against Fickell but Creighton took a program with 3 total seasons in their history with 7+ wins and one bowl appearance and in 5 years has already had two 7 win seasons and gone to two bowl games. Like TrustMe said, they're the 5th team in a state with way less talent than Ohio. And Cinci is a program that has consistently been winning. Fickell isn't doing anything most coaches before him have done there. The reality is, both could be good coaching options for some P5 team. But come on, you can't downplay how bad EMU has been historically and the improvement they've made in 5 seasons.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fickell would be a great hire IMO.

I think U of M fans don't like the idea because it would re-energize MSU.
So lets put it this way, I think if Michigan had the choice between hiring Fickell or hiring Creighton, I'd pick Creighton. He has a pretty long history of doing well at programs and turned around literally one of the worst G5 teams to make them somewhat respectable. Fickell has a pretty short resume, and one of those seasons includes taking an OSU team built by a national title winning OSU coach with elite talent on the roster, and winning 6 games. A team that was immediately turned around by Urban the next year. That is a huge red flag. Sure it was 7 years ago but it's not exactly a comforting data point.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you know, Michigan has beaten MSU once in Ann Arbor since Lloyd Carr?

fritowrdo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So lets put it this way, I think if Michigan had the choice between hiring Fickell or hiring Creighton, I'd pick Creighton. He has a pretty long history of doing well at programs and turned around literally one of the worst G5 teams to make them somewhat respectable. Fickell has a pretty short resume, and one of those seasons includes taking an OSU team built by a national title winning OSU coach with elite talent on the roster, and winning 6 games. A team that was immediately turned around by Urban the next year. That is a huge red flag. Sure it was 7 years ago but it's not exactly a comforting data point.

Fickell was an interim coach when he ran tOSU. Also, the team was in chaos so his record does not correctly reflect what was going on with the team at the time since he was not going to be the full time coach. I think your concerns about that year are over blown IMO.

I think Fickell would be a good choice for MSU and Michigan.

fritowrdo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you know, Michigan has beaten MSU once in Ann Arbor since Lloyd Carr?

Harbaugh has gotten them to a good place but I do not think he will get them over to what the fan base wants or pays him for.

And if MSU gets a new super star coach, Harbaugh will be in real trouble.

Angry red

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't have a concussion you fag. WTF is that? My brothers punched me harder in the backyard You should watch takedowns on a mat.
You seem well grounded

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're downplaying Creighton here. Nothing against Fickell but Creighton took a program with 3 total seasons in their history with 7+ wins and one bowl appearance and in 5 years has already had two 7 win seasons and gone to two bowl games. Like TrustMe said, they're the 5th team in a state with way less talent than Ohio. And Cinci is a program that has consistently been winning. Fickell isn't doing anything most coaches before him have done there. The reality is, both could be good coaching options for some P5 team. But come on, you can't downplay how bad EMU has been historically and the improvement they've made in 5 seasons.
Their improvement has been an average of 1.4 more wins. BFD. Again, they are currently sitting in dead last in their division in the worst conference in the entire FBS.

If you're gonna talk about an obscure MAC coach to take a jump, why not Chuck Martin at Miami (OH)? Took over a team that had won 8 total games in the previous 3 seasons and has them sitting at 6-4 this year with a high likelihood of going 8-4. He's not on Fickell's level, but I'd take him over Creighton.

Bottom line is, Fickell has an amazing resume in terms of head coaches he has learned under. He had Cincinnati sitting as one of the top G5 teams for 2 years straight. While his season in Columbus wasn't great, it's not like it was a total disaster. They went to a bowl while starting a true freshman QB and dealing with the loss of several key players from the year before, while beating 11-win conference champ Wisconsin with Russell Wilson.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s absolutely nothing in the provided video that proves the player was concussed.

There’s plenty to hate on Dantonio for, including being a coot alum, but this is some ginned up BS.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s absolutely nothing in the provided video that proves the player was concussed.

There’s plenty to hate on Dantonio for, including being a coot alum, but this is some ginned up BS.
More today, from a leading concussion doctor:

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's time to toughen up these boys! Get them ready for the NFL.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope Lewerke is OK. the Shane Morris situation was shitty to go through.