• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Culpepper getting a one year deal according to sources

ZepTepi

Factorem fata mea
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This the the front office and coaches way of saying we have no confidence in our QB situation. Looks like the 9ers may be gearing up for the "Andrew Luck" sweepstakes.

Don't you think it would be a little soon to be giving up on Kap if that's the case? If they drafted him to be the QB of the future then their focus in next years draft wouldn't be on another QB but rather on pieces to help give Kap that much better chance of succeeding.

Can anyone paint me a scenario where we target Luck that doesn't make drafting Kap a....for lack of a better term...misstep?

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't you think it would be a little soon to be giving up on Kap if that's the case? If they drafted him to be the QB of the future then their focus in next years draft wouldn't be on another QB but rather on pieces to help give Kap that much better chance of succeeding.

Can anyone paint me a scenario where we target Luck that doesn't make drafting Kap a....for lack of a better term...misstep?

............Panthers just did this

ZepTepi

Factorem fata mea
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well in that situation I would say drafting Clausen was a misstep but they had him last season where as Kap hasn't had but one preseason game to get his feet wet.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well in that situation I would say drafting Clausen was a misstep but they had him last season where as Kap hasn't had but one preseason game to get his feet wet.

...... im all for giving him a shot I wish they would this year but if a player like luck is available for us no way we don't do it.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

The scenario is filed under "I'm a wanna be GM and I play Madden"... If the Niners are seriously targeting Luck, they would not have drafted Kap and by trading up to get him shows that they really want him. They could have kept their draft picks and even got Ryan Mallet.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Why so much hate for bringing in Culpepper?

We need a 3rd QB who's also a vet. Can you name some other vet QBs on the street right now you'd rather have? Don't say Garcia he's practically 50 years old.

Daunte still has a cannon arm, and he's not afraid to take shots down the field.

What if Alex or Kap gets seriously injured like a dislocated shoulder or something like that? I'd be happy if Culpepper was on the roster in that case.

To be honest, I think Culpepper might have the same upside as Donovan McNabb at this point in both of their careers and they are also about the same age.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

The Panthers brought in a new Head Coach. The Head Coach wanted "his guy". Clausen was drafted by the previous regime. He is not the choice of the new head coach.

Kap is the choice of Harbaugh. They went after him by trading up to get him. If they are not serious about Kap, then misstep is a big understatement

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why so much hate for bringing in Culpepper?

We need a 3rd QB who's also a vet. Can you name some other vet QBs on the street right now you'd rather have? Don't say Garcia he's practically 50 years old.

Daunte still has a cannon arm, and he's not afraid to take shots down the field.

What if Alex or Kap gets seriously injured like a dislocated shoulder or something like that? I'd be happy if Culpepper was on the roster in that case.

To be honest, I think Culpepper might have the same upside as Donovan McNabb at this point in both of their careers and they are also about the same age.

co-signed:peace2:

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MaioccoCSN Matt Maiocco
2010 UFL stats: Culpepper 61% completions was best in league. 10TDs, 12 ints. Ranked 3rd of 4 QBs with 74.4 rating. Jeff Garcia was 4th/61.9

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MaioccoCSN Matt Maiocco
RT @matteo112304 are 49ers looking at culpepper as a starter or just veteran leadership? > Neither. They want a third-stringer w/experience.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The fact that Culpepper is still playing in the UFL, instead of eating doughnuts with Jamarcus Russell, tells me that the dude still wants to play as well.

Any QB that goes from the NFL to the UFL in his 30's must still have a big desire to play QB. Why would you go from a NFL salary to a UFL salary unless you really wanted to play QB? The only other reason is because you were incredibly stupid in the NFL and you blew all your $$$ and you are broke so you have to play for the money. :-)

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Panthers brought in a new Head Coach. The Head Coach wanted "his guy". Clausen was drafted by the previous regime. He is not the choice of the new head coach.

Kap is the choice of Harbaugh. They went after him by trading up to get him. If they are not serious about Kap, then misstep is a big understatement

That's a possibility, or Kap could struggle enough to look like one of the Raiders athletic QB failures. I could live with passing up on Barkley cause I think he has to grow more, and potential is giving him a boost, but it's no guarantee. Luck is special though. I rarely feel like I could put that much faith in any prospect. Having him and this staff back together would turn this franchise around.

I Really doubt they are trying for him though. Harbaugh seems like to much of a competitor, and some of our players wouldn't go for it. Can't see Gore being cool with it.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that Culpepper is still playing in the UFL, instead of eating doughnuts with Jamarcus Russell, tells me that the dude still wants to play as well.

Any QB that goes from the NFL to the UFL in his 30's must still have a big desire to play QB. Why would you go from a NFL salary to a UFL salary unless you really wanted to play QB? The only other reason is because you were incredibly stupid in the NFL and you blew all your $$$ and you are broke so you have to play for the money. :-)

That's a great point. If he understands his role as a 3rd QB I'll be ok with it. It doesn't excite me, and I know I'm going to have to deal with calls for him to start, but with the path his career has taken, it's obvious he has a desire to play. Most 3 QBs aren't on his level anyway.

I still think there is other possibilities that excite me more, but the more I think of it, the more I'm cool with it. Any QB addition we bring probably gives the same results, unless it's some unexpected trade.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talk about a move that smacks of desperation. Dante went from pro bowl to toilet bowl in hurry. The niners will probably need a Vet QB to backup Alex until Kap is ready to go maybe Dante is that option... IMO better options will shake loose when teams start cutting the rosters.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Culpeper still could come in the league today and have the strongest arm in the NFL. For the people saying that Asmith is better then him, sorry disagree 100%, give Dante a chance to go against Alex and I will put my $ on DC all day and twice on Sunday, Alex Smith is the def of garbage

He never had the strongest arm in the entire NFL at his prime, what makes you think he will have the strongest arm in the NFL on his down side of his career?!

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
New entrant in 49ers' QB derby?

9:12AM ET

San Francisco 49ers
On Sunday, we made note of the fact that San Francisco 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh admitted there was no "clear-cut" decision yet on who will be the team's starting quarterback in 2011 between Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick. And as the work week gets rolling, there's now word that there may be a third legitimate entrant in the competition.

As first reported by Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk -- and subsequently confirmed by Harbaugh after practice -- the Niners are set to host Daunte Culpepper for a workout on Monday.

After an impressive string of campaigns for the Minnesota Vikings, Culpepper floated around the league for four subsequent seasons and spent 2010 as a member of the Sacramento Mountain Lions of the UFL. The Niners' potential hiring of him is a logical proposition for the team. His contract demands likely won't be too high, and there's a possibility (not necessarily a highly probable possibility, but a possibility nevertheless) that Culpepper can provide a better version of NFL quarterbacking than Smith or Kaepernick in 2011.

- Tim Kavanagh

Kings of The West

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Give Alex the starting position. He needs a chance to succeed with Harbaugh. If he shows nothing by week 6 or 7, throw Kap in there and see what he's got. Being that we drafted Kap, I don't think there is any way we trade up for Luck. As a matter of fact, I think any team in a position to draft luck, wouldn't trade down to get out of that position. However, if we have the worst record in the NFL, then I guarantee we draft Luck. IMO, this is a mute point. I think Smith is going to shock a lot of people this year.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More INTs than TDs in the UFL. That is hilarious. Poor guy fell off a cliff.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I always thought coldpecker looked like a shaved cat