• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Crazy stats

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Texans defense is #1 in yards allowed, yet 28th in points allowed. :noidea:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Yardage for team stats are one of the more useless ways to gauge how good an offense or defense is.

Points allowed can be deceiving as well unless you factor how many of those points were scored by the opposing defense, special teams or how many points were scored on a short field.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lame:
The Texans defense is #1 in yards allowed, yet 28th in points allowed. :noidea:

Considering the amount of interceptions for touchdowns they've given up, not too surprising

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'll give you 6 chances to guess why they are so high in point allowed.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some other crazy stats:

The Chiefs have allowed 65 points through 6 games. Only the 2000 Ravens can match this years Chiefs Defense through 6 games.

The Chiefs Defense is also on pace to break the sack record of the '84 Bears (72 sacks) with 84 Sacks.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lame:

Considering the amount of interceptions for touchdowns they've given up, not too surprising

Pretty sure that's right. According to the chart in this link Houston is tied with the NYG for what the author calls a "team net turnover points" statistic.

Team Net Turnover Points Statistics - 2013 NFL Season Statistics

According to that statistic Houston has given up 66 of the 172 points its opponents have scored off of Houston turnovers.

Personally, I've always thought that points allowed is much more informative about a defense than is yards allowed. The Texans example really highlights, however, how points allowed would better measure defense if it didn't include points given up by the offense.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some other crazy stats:

The Chiefs have allowed 65 points through 6 games. Only the 2000 Ravens can match this years Chiefs Defense through 6 games.

The Chiefs Defense is also on pace to break the sack record of the '84 Bears (72 sacks) with 84 Sacks.

KC is tops in the league in terms of the team net turnover points statistic that I mentioned above. They have given up only 6 points off turnover and they have scored 63 points off of turnovers. Testament to Alex Smith's strength to not turn the ball over. Might also reflect that KC hasn't played against many particularly strong offenses.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC is tops in the league in terms of the team net turnover points statistic that I mentioned above. They have given up only 6 points off turnover and they have scored 63 points off of turnovers. Testament to Alex Smith's strength to not turn the ball over. Might also reflect that KC hasn't played against many particularly strong offenses.

Absolutely, when stats are that good it is because of 3 things... first your defense is amazing, 2nd your offense does not often make mistakes, and 3 the opposing offenses are not good... Each reason is just as important... So, yes it is true that KC has faced no good offenses, but that does not take away the fact that they are playing great football right now...

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely, when stats are that good it is because of 3 things... first your defense is amazing, 2nd your offense does not often make mistakes, and 3 the opposing offenses are not good... Each reason is just as important... So, yes it is true that KC has faced no good offenses, but that does not take away the fact that they are playing great football right now...

True. And they will see some good offenses going forward.

Kind of interesting that KC and Houston happen to meet this weekend. What is the right under/over on points off turnovers in that game?

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some other crazy stats:

Look man, don't take it the wrong way because I really think the Chiefs are a true contender this year, but throwing those numbers around really doesn't mean much at this point. They've played one top 10 offense (Eagles) and did very well with a lot of turnovers, but the Eagles have been an average team. The best team they've played in the power rankings is #13 Dallas, a one point home win.

Like I said the Chiefs look great, and I think this may be the year that they end the 20 year playoff win drought. But those numbers are bound to come back to earth a bit after their bye week. The defense looks great, but comparing them to the 84 Bears or 00 Ravens who did it all year and won rings? Not yet.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the criticisms, I just am floored, excited , and simply intrigued from an objective point of view as well. We will see just how good this defense is vs Denver which might be the 2nd real test for the defense after Dallas. Plenty of questions about the Chiefs,but I am just looking forward to see the answers for once instead of dreading them.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the criticisms, I just am floored, excited , and simply intrigued from an objective point of view as well. We will see just how good this defense is vs Denver which might be the 2nd real test for the defense after Dallas. Plenty of questions about the Chiefs,but I am just looking forward to see the answers for once instead of dreading them.

You should be excited. Amazing turn around and still a pretty young roster. I do think the defense will slow Manning down. Hopefully the offense can do enough to turn it into a win.