• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Crabtree, Gore both fined for throwing footballs into the stands

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers Blog and Q&A: Crabtree's toss costs him $10,500

Meanwhile, Aldon Smith was not fined for the block he threw on Cardinals guard - and former 49er - Adam Snyder following a late interception. Snyder had to be helped off the field and Smith was penalized for unnecessary roughness.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thats bull shit. Its one of the coolest celebration and obviously fans love it. You'd think the NFL could spare a ball or two to have fans have a great time at a game they pay damn near 100 dollars a ticket to see.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats bull shit. Its one of the coolest celebration and obviously fans love it. You'd think the NFL could spare a ball or two to have fans have a great time at a game they pay damn near 100 dollars a ticket to see.

Yeah, the safety of the fans reason is a bit stretched, but I don't think it's all about the money or to be a killjoy. They allow a player to hand the ball to people, so the people spending the most in that section could still get the ball and have a great experience.

The tickets have a waiver that you consent to if you enter with the ticket, so it's not safety as far as liability. Baseball fans getting hit by a ball couldn't win in a lawsuit if it was just a typical foul ball or homerun, but they'd have a better chance of winning if they were behind the backstop and was hit by a ball that went through a hole in the fence on an errant pitch. They could claim that there wasn't that assumption of the risk, as they may have even purchased those tickets for the safety. They'd claim the hole in the fence was negligence. Or of course if a player threw it purposely at the unsuspecting fan, that wouldn't be covered in the waiver.

So I wonder if throwing the ball that high in the stands is so unexpected that it isn't an assumption of the risk? Nah, I think the NFL is just being silly.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohhhh, nevermind about my above post - the safety issue is not getting hit with the ball, it's the fighting over the ball. Duh, should have known that. Since the players can't really choose who gets the ball if they throw it, I'd prefer them to hand the ball to someone - a kid or someone who it looks like it was difficult to even come to the game (not as a rule, of course, just give it to whoever you want).

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was shocked that Gore didn't keep that ball. That was the team record breaking ball.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was shocked that Gore didn't keep that ball. That was the team record breaking ball.

Same here! I was even a little surprised the team didn't request it for its own archives. It's possible it was retrieved by security/team officials; otherwise it is just one helluva souvenir for one lucky fan.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those boys can afford it.

TheNinerMind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well, they were trying to get the balls to Terrell Owens's PR guy. He can't afford those seats on the field anymore.