• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cox Playing Over Wright?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It may also be worth mentioning that Cox was awarded a game ball after the Packers game. I heard that said during my rewatch of the Panthers game. I dont think they would give that to somebody that sucked at his assignment which was for the most part to cover Cobb.

I think we have unrealistic expectations for DBs in a passing league. For the most part our DBs are solid, I think.

agree, the "shut down corner" is long gone. all CB's give up some passes, cause that's just the way the rules are. IMO the NB has an even harder time defending passes. then there are those well thrown balls (with timing and accuracy) that no CB can stop.

in today's game pass defense starts with pressure and it isn't just Aldon, we're fortunate McDonald and J. Smith add so much support.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just finished rewatching the game. From what I saw, Cox had 1 pass defended and allowed 2 catches. One against Olsen, for a sizable gain. Then a first down to Lafell that came right after the the pass he deflected that was intended for Lafell. Looked like Cox was in good enough position to pick it off.
I didnt see Cox on the field a lot but the fact that Cox nearly intercepted a pass and then in the very next play Newton went right back after Cox, maybe says that Carolina liked the match up against Cox. To me I think for the limited play he had, Cox should have played better, but the dude has talent and considering neither of those catches lead to points scored. I think he did an ok job for a backup. Also I wouldnt say that Cox got beaten any worse than our other CB's on the field. Maybe that just says we really need better starting CBs.

Thrown at 5 times, 2 catches in his coverage area for 48 yards, 6 YAC allowed, 0 TDs, and 2 PDs. He was thrown at one time while covering Olsen (1 catch for 35 yards), thrown at 3 times while covering LaFell (1 catch for 13 yards), thrown at 1 time while covering Ginn (0 catches).

Brock was thrown at 5 times, 3 catches in his coverage area for 48 yards, 13 YAC allowed, 0 TDs, 1 PD. LaFell had two catches against him and Steve Smith had 1.

Brown was thrown at 4 times, 4 catches in his coverage area for 66 yards, 0 YAC allowed, 1 TD, 0 PD. LaFell and Ginn both had one catch against him, Steve Smith had 2 (1 TD).

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
didn't think he was "awful".

and on that 31 yard TD, Brown had GOOD coverage but that pass was perfect. no way to defend that pass unless you were out of place before the ball got there.

I've seen countless CB's break up that pass or intercept it. Our guys seem incapable of realizing the ball is in the air and when it is, that they can touch it. It's been that way since Hanks was in the secondary.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep saying bad things about our DBS. I just don't see it. I think you expect cbs to stop almost everything. Compared to last year we have been rock solid against the pass. Not saying we can't improve but it's been much better. Nowhere near awful.

Just looked at the stats. We're actually quite good at PD and picks, league-wise. Am I missing a variable here? Does somebody compute passes attempted versus picked and defensed? Because I regularly see guys stop balls that always seem to get by our DB's. Maybe I'm remembering too harshly.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually that was brown.

I only saw one bad play from cox last week. When Olsen had a 30 yard gain. It looked like cox slipped up on that one though.

CB's can't cover athletic TE's. It's our biggest advantage on offense. I'd think he gets a pass on that one.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thrown at 5 times, 2 catches in his coverage area for 48 yards, 6 YAC allowed, 0 TDs, and 2 PDs. He was thrown at one time while covering Olsen (1 catch for 35 yards), thrown at 3 times while covering LaFell (1 catch for 13 yards), thrown at 1 time while covering Ginn (0 catches).

Brock was thrown at 5 times, 3 catches in his coverage area for 48 yards, 13 YAC allowed, 0 TDs, 1 PD. LaFell had two catches against him and Steve Smith had 1.

Brown was thrown at 4 times, 4 catches in his coverage area for 66 yards, 0 YAC allowed, 1 TD, 0 PD. LaFell and Ginn both had one catch against him, Steve Smith had 2 (1 TD).

"Where does he get those wonderful toys?"

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've seen countless CB's break up that pass or intercept it. Our guys seem incapable of realizing the ball is in the air and when it is, that they can touch it. It's been that way since Hanks was in the secondary.

countless? no, not that type of pass, but how THIS ONE was perfectly thrown.

Brown had good coverage with inside position (receiver boxed against the line), and was stride for stride with Smith. don't see how any CB in the NFL would've made an INT?

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad Cox is back. I think he's fine as the nickel CB in a pinch or easily a dime guy if the coverage warrants it.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We need the competition at CB. I would hope that Cox/Wright/Cook are all basically competing for one spot, but in reality two of them may make the roster.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need the competition at CB. I would hope that Cox/Wright/Cook are all basically competing for one spot, but in reality two of them may make the roster.
In this scenario Im hoping the two they keep are Cox and Cook. Looking forward to seeing what Cook can do in TC and Preseason and I am happy to hear Cox is back to compete. Wright can suck a duck for all I care.