• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Could Lemaire be head coach next season?

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
At first glance, the obvious answer is no way, but consider this. He was never fired, and it appears that the reasons he retired in the first place are going out the door... We're obviously starting to play a little better lately, so what does Lou do if Lemaire gets this team playing really well?

Does anyone know what his initial contract length was for? I know MacLean was 3 years.

makeshiftb0y

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I found an article online from shortly before the start of last season that said the contract terms were not disclosed but that Lemaire said he intends/ed to coach here for at least two seasons. So, if they go by that, it'd bring him to the end of this season.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
stupid to even have lemaire coaching this team. which leads me to believe he will be back next year. why? well wouldnt it make more sense to bring someone in now and let them get their system into place during this mess? then when sept rolls around you hit the ground running? also it'd be nice to have said coach in place before the draft.

another piss poor job by lou involving the coaching on this team

devils30mb

King "Marty" Kong
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all about money cup and with this dismal season I'm pretty sure the revenue is down from what they budgeted. Since Lemaire was still on the books, why not bring him back for the remainder of the season.

/edit... It is also Lou asking Lemaire to help gauge what the team really needs since he will be close to the players and see more by being the coach.

Last edited by a moderator:

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
stupid to even have lemaire coaching this team. which leads me to believe he will be back next year. why? well wouldnt it make more sense to bring someone in now and let them get their system into place during this mess? then when sept rolls around you hit the ground running? also it'd be nice to have said coach in place before the draft.

another piss poor job by lou involving the coaching on this team

Most of the coaches he'd probably want to interview are with teams ATM, so he can't negotiate with them. I definitely don't see him looking at the Hitchcocks of the world. Maybe Bob Hartley, but who knows. You're cheering for us to lose every game and win the #1 pick, so if you think Lemaire's horrible, then that's exactly what you want.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's all about money cup and with this dismal season I'm pretty sure the revenue is down from what they budgeted. Since Lemaire was still on the books, why not bring him back for the remainder of the season.

/edit... It is also Lou asking Lemaire to help gauge what the team really needs since he will be close to the players and see more by being the coach.

couple problems with this. as stated before someone posted that they saw attendance was only down a tad? and your really telling me saving half a season salary on a coach is really going to hamper this team in the long run with money? but then your saying that lou needs help to gauge what this team needs? does he not watch this game? is he not one of the greatest gm's ever? your going to trust the opinion of a guy who by all acounts SHOULDNT be here next year? as opposed to bringing someone in who your planning on being here long term? and having their trusted opinion about draft/staff/strategy? you dont see the fail that will result?

i can see it now

sept rolls around new coach new draft pick and the same question will be there...how will the team take with the new coach. how will they respond to his system. is he ready to take over the team? we all saw how that turned out this year.

BRING A COACH IN THAT IS GOING TO BE HERE FOR THE LONG HAUL. if thats the case then he should be brought in now

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Most of the coaches he'd probably want to interview are with teams ATM, so he can't negotiate with them. I definitely don't see him looking at the Hitchcocks of the world. Maybe Bob Hartley, but who knows. You're cheering for us to lose every game and win the #1 pick, so if you think Lemaire's horrible, then that's exactly what you want.

if hes going to target a coach thats taken that really isnt smart because there is no gurantee 1. they would want to leave 2. they will be able to leave i will bet anymoney that the next devils coach will be someone who is currently unemployed in the coaching field. i really doubt lou is waiting to talk to anyone.

im not cheering for us to lose every game...i think if it happens it happens im not upset about it. i do think that ALL ROOKIES should be getting played now NOT rolston NOT zubrus NOT white. this is an AMAZING chance to be able to guage what we have with the kids and what we need. ESP come draft time

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if hes going to target a coach thats taken that really isnt smart because there is no gurantee 1. they would want to leave 2. they will be able to leave i will bet anymoney that the next devils coach will be someone who is currently unemployed in the coaching field. i really doubt lou is waiting to talk to anyone.

im not cheering for us to lose every game...i think if it happens it happens im not upset about it. i do think that ALL ROOKIES should be getting played now NOT rolston NOT zubrus NOT white. this is an AMAZING chance to be able to guage what we have with the kids and what we need. ESP come draft time

I do agree with you regarding the kids being allowed to play, but at the same time, playing prospects in the NHL doesn't necessarily mean that they're going to reach the same potential or get there faster. You still need to develop these players, and if that means they need to be in the minors honing their skills against players closer to their current abilities, so be it. I have no clue who Lou's going to bring in as the next coach. Maybe Hartley, maybe the guy from Chicago, Haviland, who certainly won't take offers during the middle of the season. I'm just not sure. Who knows, maybe he's already interviewing coaches..

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
kids gotta play sometime what better way to see if they are nhl ready then to play in the nhl?

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
best case in my thinking...bring up a few kids from d see what they have...hey you know what? maybe we have a few hidden gems and maybe then larrson isnt a top priority come draft time. look at a bigger hole like center. or you can use that logic on the otherside maybe we have a great center and need larsson even more. bottom line you wont know. you wont know if the greatest ahl player in history will be the greatest player in nhl until you play him in the nhl

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i do agree though that not in all cases letting kids play is good for them. i think playing them in tight situations is bad but there isnt any pressure right now

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I'm the one that posted attendance being down, but payroll is also up. So if we couldn't afford to sign another coach it could make some sense.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
best case in my thinking...bring up a few kids from d see what they have...hey you know what? maybe we have a few hidden gems and maybe then larrson isnt a top priority come draft time. look at a bigger hole like center. or you can use that logic on the otherside maybe we have a great center and need larsson even more. bottom line you wont know. you wont know if the greatest ahl player in history will be the greatest player in nhl until you play him in the nhl

We've already had 7 young defensemen play this season, and all of them except for Taormina have been lackluster at best. They sent Urbom who Lou believes is our best prospect to the minors because he didn't think he was ready to play yet.

The 7 are:

Fraser
Fayne
Corrente
Eckford
Taormina
Urbom
Magnan

If they're not ready, then they need to be in the minors. They put JJ back there for a reason too. They also sent Henrique, the memorial cup MVP to the minors without letting him play a preseason game. If you want to grow the kids properly, throwing them into the fire is not the answer. Your favorite player Zubrus was ruined that way.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the team plays well for the rest of the season then I think Lemaire should have a strong chance to return.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If the team plays well for the rest of the season then I think Lemaire should have a strong chance to return.

I really, really don't want Lemaire to return, but if you just look at the facts, last year he led the Devils to a 30-10 start. They were on a better offensive pace than with Sutter.

We all wanted Lemaire to be fired because of a player mutiny and the player who was supposedly at the front of it all was shipped out, and Kovalchuk has unequivocally stated that he is a big fan of Lemaire.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I always liked Lemaire. I know I am in the minority.
Team has played much better. I believe Lemaire when he said the team was out of shape physically and mentally. I think players especially the vets were coasting through practices before Jacques came in.
Whoever is coaching the team next season, it better be a tough coach. No player friendly guys.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We've already had 7 young defensemen play this season, and all of them except for Taormina have been lackluster at best. They sent Urbom who Lou believes is our best prospect to the minors because he didn't think he was ready to play yet.

The 7 are:

Fraser
Fayne
Corrente
Eckford
Taormina
Urbom
Magnan

If they're not ready, then they need to be in the minors. They put JJ back there for a reason too. They also sent Henrique, the memorial cup MVP to the minors without letting him play a preseason game. If you want to grow the kids properly, throwing them into the fire is not the answer. Your favorite player Zubrus was ruined that way.

zubrus was ruined because hes a pussy and doesnt use his size nor does he have heart. keep the kids stashed away then gotta learn to play the big mins sometime or another. would you rather them doing it when they are in a playoff chase or when theres nothing left to play for?

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
zubrus was ruined because hes a pussy and doesnt use his size nor does he have heart. keep the kids stashed away then gotta learn to play the big mins sometime or another. would you rather them doing it when they are in a playoff chase or when theres nothing left to play for?

I would rather let them correctly develop at their own pace.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'd probably be contending for a playoff spot had Lemaire started the season as head coach instead of JMac.

skrillex26

Keep It On Ice
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well to reply to the topic, i cannot see Lemaire as head coach next year AT ALL. He's said to reporters a number of times he's not staying longer than the end of the season.

This was a favor to Lou basically. He doesn't want to coach the Devils. He said jokingly but still "you see this phone? it's goin' in the lake at the end of the year, i'm here till the end of the year and that's it." to reporters.

So, simply put, no. I don't think so.