• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cordarelle Patterson Highlight Reel

UTVolCountry

(>',')> Laser_Mike_89
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wish the guy the best...great football player. Would love to see him in a Titans uniform!

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one of the reasons why I would want to see him in a 49er jersey and would absolutely hate to see him in a Rams jersey. The kid is absolutely electric and is going to really explode in the league when he cleans up his route running a big.

Ray I don't think a lot of guys on here can completely appreciate how electric this guy is, I watched him in JUCO and I watched him at Tennessee and anyone who saw him play could tell that this kid is absolutely special. That is why things like being 6'2" instead of 6'3" and running a 4.4 instead of a 4.3 don't bother me, because I know what he can do.

trancemeister

Niner Faithful
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crabtree, Gore and Davis aren't every down players. I don't expect any rookie to be, and I don't expect any WR to be as long as Harbaugh and Roman are here. How many players in the league now are every down players? You're looking at OL, QB and starting secondary players. Most LBs, DL, and skill position players aren't every down guys.

The biggest issue for me with our first round pick is how much of a difference maker will he be? Austin is a threat every time he has the ball. If he gets 6-10 touches per game on offense (catches+carries) then I think he becomes a huge asset for us.

Wrong choice of words there on my part. I meant what you said in your second para. How much of an impact will he provide? Enough to justify a trade up? If so how much? I personally wouldn't want to give up a whole lot to move up for a player that might see only limited action.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wrong choice of words there on my part. I meant what you said in your second para. How much of an impact will he provide? Enough to justify a trade up? If so how much? I personally wouldn't want to give up a whole lot to move up for a player that might see only limited action.

For me it isn't about if he gets limited action, but what he does in the action he does get.

I think about a guy like Randall Cobb or Darren Sproles. They get limited action, but they make the most of it. I wouldn't use a first on Sproles, but I would on Cobb. The idea of an every down player at skill positions is a thing of the past at this point.

trancemeister

Niner Faithful
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair assessment, Mac. How high would you be willing to move up to grab him? Would you take him over an impact DL if there was one available?

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're probably much younger than me, so I won't hold that against you:

27. I watched him play when he was on the Bengals a couple of times. Those were my High School years, though. I was mostly on hiatus during that time.

Last edited by a moderator:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fair assessment, Mac. How high would you be willing to move up to grab him? Would you take him over an impact DL if there was one available?

I think I would move up to the low 20s. It really depends on how the draft as a whole plays out. I wouldn't isolate on him and say "Austin or bust."

This is a cop out but I can't answer the Austin vs impact DL question without seeing how the draft plays out. I think Austin has more of a short term impact than a DL, but I don't know about a long term impact (once J Smith is gone).

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Crabtree, Gore and Davis aren't every down players. I don't expect any rookie to be, and I don't expect any WR to be as long as Harbaugh and Roman are here. How many players in the league now are every down players? You're looking at OL, QB and starting secondary players. Most LBs, DL, and skill position players aren't every down guys.

The biggest issue for me with our first round pick is how much of a difference maker will he be? Austin is a threat every time he has the ball. If he gets 6-10 touches per game on offense (catches+carries) then I think he becomes a huge asset for us.

I think you're over-valuing Austin. The guy's 174 pounds. If you're 174 pounds, you'd better have all-world speed. He's fast, but he's only about AJ Jenkins fast. And he weighs a lot less. Force = mass X acceleration. His force isn't actually all that high. Consider that Ryan Swope had nearly identical speed numbers to him, and he's 31 pounds heavier.

Plus he had one of the best QBs in college football, and he wasn't exactly playing agsinst SEC defenses.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're over-valuing Austin. The guy's 174 pounds. If you're 174 pounds, you'd better have all-world speed. He's fast, but he's only about AJ Jenkins fast. And he weighs a lot less. Force = mass X acceleration. His force isn't actually all that high. Consider that Ryan Swope had nearly identical speed numbers to him, and he's 31 pounds heavier.

Plus he had one of the best QBs in college football, and he wasn't exactly playing agsinst SEC defenses.

I think you are focusing too much on combine numbers and measurables instead of film. Anyone who thinks that AJ Jenkins plays anywhere near as fast as Austin is just out of their damn mind. Jason Hill also ran a 4.3 40 but he played like a guy he ran a 4.5, this is why I take much more stock in film than combine numbers. Look at Boldin, he dropped after his terrible combine and every NFL who passed on him suffered for it. Swope doesn't play like a 4.3 guy either, I actually was really shocked when he ran that, he plays more like a 4.4 - 4.5 guy..

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think you are focusing too much on combine numbers and measurables instead of film. Anyone who thinks that AJ Jenkins plays anywhere near as fast as Austin is just out of their damn mind. Jason Hill also ran a 4.3 40 but he played like a guy he ran a 4.5, this is why I take much more stock in film than combine numbers. Look at Boldin, he dropped after his terrible combine and every NFL who passed on him suffered for it. Swope doesn't play like a 4.3 guy either, I actually was really shocked when he ran that, he plays more like a 4.4 - 4.5 guy..

I think you can see things like fluidity, burst, coordination, etc. on film, but here's the problem with trying to base speed solely on film. A guy can look like a speed demon against one defense and average against another. The field is another factor; some surfaces are faster than others.

You can see speed to acertain extent, but the combine is the only place where they're all weighed on the same day, they all run on the same surfaces, they're all timed by the same people & with the same equipment.

Let me give you an example: Keenan Allen has everything you want on film. Great coordination, hands, hips, timing, etc. The ONLY thing I don't know about him is exactly how his speed & jumping skills compares to other WRs because he didn't run at the combine. If he ran at the combine and ran a 4.4 flat, he should be a top 10 pick (especially with good jump #'s and a god 10-yard split). If he ran a 4.6 w/ bad jump, agility, 10-yard, maybe he's more of a 20-35 guy.

So Jason Hill comparision isn't a good example because I know Tavon Austin is a better receiver than Jason Hill was. Austin's tape is great. I never said Austin wans't any good. However, he's not good enough in order to justify a trade up because if he's 174 pounds, he's going to need BLAZING speed to make it in the NFL. 5'9 174 pounds is tiny. I don't know that he has blazing speed.

As far as Swope goes, he doesn't play quite as fast as Austin. You're right. However, I don't know that A&M used him the same way Austin was used. Also, their QB has a weak arm, so they don't throw it downfield as much as West Virginia.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you can see things like fluidity, burst, coordination, etc. on film, but here's the problem with trying to base speed solely on film. A guy can look like a speed demon against one defense and average against another. The field is another factor; some surfaces are faster than others.

You can see speed to acertain extent, but the combine is the only place where they're all weighed on the same day, they all run on the same surfaces, they're all timed by the same people & with the same equipment.

Let me give you an example: Keenan Allen has everything you want on film. Great coordination, hands, hips, timing, etc. The ONLY thing I don't know about him is exactly how his speed & jumping skills compares to other WRs because he didn't run at the combine. If he ran at the combine and ran a 4.4 flat, he should be a top 10 pick (especially with good jump #'s and a god 10-yard split). If he ran a 4.6 w/ bad jump, agility, 10-yard, maybe he's more of a 20-35 guy.

So Jason Hill comparision isn't a good example because I know Tavon Austin is a better receiver than Jason Hill was. Austin's tape is great. I never said Austin wans't any good. However, he's not good enough in order to justify a trade up because if he's 174 pounds, he's going to need BLAZING speed to make it in the NFL. 5'9 174 pounds is tiny. I don't know that he has blazing speed.

As far as Swope goes, he doesn't play quite as fast as Austin. You're right. However, I don't know that A&M used him the same way Austin was used. Also, their QB has a weak arm, so they don't throw it downfield as much as West Virginia.

What exactly do you want? Austin ran a blazing 40 time and backs it up on film, I don't know what else there is to desire. It isn't as if we are talking about a guy who ran a 4.5, this guy is lightning fast and dangerous in open field.

What West Virginia game did you watch this season where Austin did not look like a speed demon?

I ran track my whole life and I have never ever ever ranked a guy on one race, everyone has a bad day on the track (not like Austin did or anything) and they have a bad day. The fact is that not only did Austin run a blazing speed and back it up on film but he was by far and away the most fluid and quick WR in the WR drills at the combine.

I'm not talking about who is the better WR between Austin and Jason Hill, I'm asking who plays faster? They both run 4.3 40's at the combine but do you really think that Jason Hill plays near as fast as Austin? It isn't even close, Austin runs a 4.3 and plays at that speed.

They were used in very similar fashion, they actually run very similar offenses. WV didn't run fades and verts all day with Austin (he did run those routes sometimes) but they got him the ball in space on slants and screen. Swope ran his fair share of those routes as well but he isn't near as explosive as Austin.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Who's faster between Jason Hill and Tavon Austin? It's probably Jason Hill. We both know speed doesn't equal good WR play (James Jett, Tedd Ginn, etc), but Hill is probably a bit faster than Austin.

I see Tavon Austin somewhere in between Sinorice Moss and Santana Moss. He weighs less than both of 'em by about 10 pounds; he's 1 inch taller & shorter respectively). His speed is probably about the same as both of 'em.

The dude's 5'9 with 30 inch arms. And if a QB floats it to him, he's going to get murdered by the safety. He's extremely limited. These things aren't going to hurt him in the return game, but as a WR, the dude is not going to be a #1 guy.

And don't expect him to actually run the football like Percy Harvin does. He will get obliterated in the NFL if he does.

This is not a guy who justifies a trade up when there are better WRs like Justin Hunter on the board.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's faster between Jason Hill and Tavon Austin? It's probably Jason Hill. We both know speed doesn't equal good WR play (James Jett, Tedd Ginn, etc), but Hill is probably a bit faster than Austin.

I see Tavon Austin somewhere in between Sinorice Moss and Santana Moss. He weighs less than both of 'em by about 10 pounds; he's 1 inch taller & shorter respectively). His speed is probably about the same as both of 'em.

The dude's 5'9 with 30 inch arms. And if a QB floats it to him, he's going to get murdered by the safety. He's extremely limited. These things aren't going to hurt him in the return game, but as a WR, the dude is not going to be a #1 guy.

And don't expect him to actually run the football like Percy Harvin does. He will get obliterated in the NFL if he does.

This is not a guy who justifies a trade up when there are better WRs like Justin Hunter on the board.

I agree with pretty much all of this. I really don't want to spend a high pick on an undersized receiver and would be much happier with Hunter if we go WR early.