• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Concerns going into the first game?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My old friend iron was asking about some of his concerns going into this year so maybe we need a thread to discuss it. What are the areas you are most worried about?

Offense:

The pass blocking was bad last year and the run blocking inconsistent, but not nearly as bad. They graduated the center, but got kids back from injury. Still the line has to be the biggest question mark as they will now have someone new at center and many of the same kids who struggled last year back on the line. Sure they are another year along and should make strides forward, but you just can't know until you see them play. It's a concern, but the depth there now makes it not nearly as much as it was last year and could end up being much more solid if they stay healthy.

For all of the talk about Keith Price most of it is in general terms. Everyone asks if he will be more like his first season than last year and as far as the turnovers go my best guess would be yes, but everyone forgets how much of a different player he has ALWAYS been on the road (Nebraska game ring a bell). I think we should expect him to play well at home against Boise, Arizona, even Oregon, but can he finally play loose and free on the road this year? If not don't expect any upsets in our conference road games. This does give me some concern.

Anything else on offense? I love our depth at RB and while we are young in the WR corps there is a lot of talent there that should give Keith plenty of options to throw to. As long as ASJ and KW stay healthy I don't see much of a problem out there.

Defense:

The Dline wasn't that solid last year as they battled their own injuries, but did shine at times especially at home. I watched that Stanford game again the other day and loved how many sacks and hurries they had against a pretty darned good O line. Still, this has to be the main unit on the D to question coming into the season. Can they play with discipline and create both a pass rush and run blocking and do it with the kind of consistency they need to if they are to make the next step?

Any real concerns in the LB corps? None come to mind for me. Should be the most solid part of the D from what I have seen.

Secondary should still be good, but losing two key players one of which will be playing regularly on sundays this fall means we do have questions. All indications are they have options to replace tru, but again you won't know until you see it and I doubt anyone creates the kind of shutdown he did. That means more safety coverage.

Special Teams:

Durkee again? Really? FFS didn't we see enough 20y punts last year? Man does this kid need to grow in a hurry. I know Coons will be splitting punting duties and did a good job last year, but man I don't want to see Durkee out there again. Coons will get some relief in having the new kid take the kick offs and that will help some. Coons did do a decent job at FG's until he obviously ran out of gas doing all 3 duties last year.

Haven't paid enough attention to returns and coverage to have an opinion either way on those units.

Still, this is Sarks 5th year and the team has enough depth and options to not allow for any more excuses for not taking that next step. Nothing above should leave us thinking they slip back to 6 or fewer wins either. To me anything less than 4-0 to open the season would be a huge let down and you would have to start questioning whether or not it's time to start talking about Sark needing to go for this team to return to where it should be. I'm not worried about it though as I fully expect that 4-0 start.

What do the rest of you think are our concerns going into this first game?

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wiz covering all the bases as usual! Well most of them anyway. ;)

Concerning Price the kid looked scared last season. Who could blame him though as much as he was knocked around?

Other than the pass blocking his pocket presence is my next biggest concern. I can see the kid has talent, at least I remember it from the previous year. I'm just hoping he nuts up and plays ball. A lot of the plays last season seemed to me he was anticipating getting his ass handed to him. Made me gag watching him at times. :P

Road woes have been big imo. But with maturity comes better road play, in theory. We will have to wait and see. As far as defense goes. Its the modern pac. Do we even recruit defense out here anymore???

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Concerning Price the kid looked scared last season. Who could blame him though as much as he was knocked around?

Other than the pass blocking his pocket presence is my next biggest concern. I can see the kid has talent, at least I remember it from the previous year. I'm just hoping he nuts up and plays ball. A lot of the plays last season seemed to me he was anticipating getting his ass handed to him. Made me gag watching him at times. :P

Road woes have been big imo. But with maturity comes better road play, in theory. We will have to wait and see. As far as defense goes. Its the modern pac. Do we even recruit defense out here anymore???

Oregon,Stanford, And Asu have good defenses.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Pac gets its share. Didn't Tru just make a pro team and project to be a starter as a rookie? Shaq is a stud. Still, they won't make the next step without continuing building on the success of last years unit.

The problem with this years road games is all of them are crazy. Stanford, UCLA, Oregon State and ASU all on the road. The latter two UW hasn't won a game in their house in over a decade. If they are to be considered a team on the rise they have to win at least one of those and two would pretty much erase doubt. Can they? I'm not sold they can.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pac gets its share. Didn't Tru just make a pro team and project to be a starter as a rookie? Shaq is a stud. Still, they won't make the next step without continuing building on the success of last years unit.

The problem with this years road games is all of them are crazy. Stanford, UCLA, Oregon State and ASU all on the road. The latter two UW hasn't won a game in their house in over a decade. If they are to be considered a team on the rise they have to win at least one of those and two would pretty much erase doubt. Can they? I'm not sold they can.

Have you seen Asus schedule be greatful for your schedule trust me!

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Road is the big test this year.

My concern with the offense is simply can the Oline and RB corps stay healthy and put up. Of course keep an eye on Price, but I think if those two hold up, we should see more of a 2011 Price, instead of 2012.

Defense: I think the backfield looks good and LB crew looks beast. My big concern is the play of the DE's and health along the line. Lagafuaina and Kikaha (Jamora) to not go down to injury again and contribute to depth.

While some of the hype may be justified, I'm totally in a game day proof mode for this conversion of Evan Hudson from TE to DE and actually made a starter. He's got the height and weight, but we shall see how this experiment works out.

So I would say the biggest concern for me is we made a huge improvement in 2012 with our D, but can we continue to improve on those numbers.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is an interesting tidbit.

Boise will most likely be starting a pair of 5'9" CBs (Donte Deayon and Bryan Douglas). They could be in for a real long night as they're told to go cover ASJ 6'6", Kasen Williams 6'2" , and Damore'ea Stringfellow 6'3".

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, and the best part of that is there are more than one of them this year. No more bracket coverage. If the safety cheats over to cover KW they will leave one of the others in single coverage, especially if ASJ is out there. There will be mismatches all night. Can Price hit them without turning it over? That's the question of the night.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, and the best part of that is there are more than one of them this year. No more bracket coverage. If the safety cheats over to cover KW they will leave one of the others in single coverage, especially if ASJ is out there. There will be mismatches all night. Can Price hit them without turning it over? That's the question of the night.

I think you listed above all the concerns coming in..

My biggest thing is seeing this defense take forward steps in getting better, they had some very good moments last season, but I want to see more attacking, players understanding the calls, and forcing turnovers...

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you listed above all the concerns coming in..

My biggest thing is seeing this defense take forward steps in getting better, they had some very good moments last season, but I want to see more attacking, players understanding the calls, and forcing turnovers...

The D was pretty darned good at home which should be duplicated this year for sure now that they are back on Montlake. The LB corp should be as solid as they have been in a decade and as long as they can stay healthy up front I'd expect another step forward in the rush and more discipline in the run stopping. Question is can the secondary perform as well as last year now that trufant is playing on sundays. They have potential, but we won't know how well they will do until we see it and they will be challenged right out of the gate this week.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ASJ out hurts, but still think our WR corps height advantage against their DBs will be a major factor in this game.

Go Dawgs!!!

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ASJ out hurts, but still think our WR corps height advantage against their DBs will be a major factor in this game.

Go Dawgs!!!

Yes and no that it hurts... This team needs to 'grow up" other younger guys need to step up and I think this will actually help them

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said in the other thread, the key to losing ASJ is his blocking, not receiving. Sure, he is a dynamic receiver and a big play maker there, however they have other kids who can make those plays. What he doesn't get enough press on is his blocking. He was a big factor in the running game and what little protection Keith had last year. On a team where blocking has been an issue losing him is big.

The passing plays he is involved in amount to 3-6 passes a game, but his blocking is every down he doesn't go on a route. That's where his loss will be felt.

Still, I fully expect a win in this game and will not be happy with the team without one. I'll be the first one up here calling for Sark's head if they don't deliver.