• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Computer buying assistance

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toshiba Satellite A660-ST3N01X

Intel dual core i-5 first generation
4GB Memory
640GB Hard Drive
64-1696MB shared graphics

Hmmm, the HP is a little bit better and 100 cheaper. Time to shop around.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just bought a Toshiba Satellite to replace my ancient Dell Tower that I had for at least 7 years. So far, no complaints.

I've had a Toshiba Satellite now for just about a year. Best computer I've had yet.

...stay away from E-machines. Worst piece of crap I've ever bought. Plus there are no expansion slots so my high end sound card is sitting here doing bugger all.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't be fooled into buying a macbook

Yes, if you want to avoid a computer that starts up in 10 seconds, never crashes, that will never get a virus, holds its resale value, comes with great personal service, that you'll never have to download a driver for if you want to plug in a printer or a camera, super fast processors b/c the operating system is so stable, and great software - definitely avoid a Macbook. :)

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like one with a BIG screen and BIG numbers on the keyboard.

Hope this helps.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
old-computer-ad.jpg

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey dash, We have the same number of rep's !!! I will rep you so you go one ahead.

buffhockey

When the musics over
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, if you want to avoid a computer that starts up in 10 seconds, never crashes, that will never get a virus, holds its resale value, comes with great personal service, that you'll never have to download a driver for if you want to plug in a printer or a camera, super fast processors b/c the operating system is so stable, and great software - definitely avoid a Macbook. :)

*^^^^^^*

[RANT]
From Mac G4 to G5 to Mac Mini to Mac Book - they all work all the time. The # of Windoze laptops & Winblows desktops I've had to work on for people - a lot.

Mac's - one - some network printers setup, shared folders and other stuff.

Plus if you really need Windows, use Boot Camp (free) or Parallels ($75.00) and run Windows (XP or 7) on the MAC.

It was mentioned about the MAC being more expensive, yes they are. But how much time & bullshit do people spend on downloading drivers, virus scans, BlueScreenOfDeath (which is being replaced by BlackScreenOf Death) in Windows 8 (Yes they are working on 8 and trying to shake it up a bit), etc. Tough to measure that time in terms of productivity.
[/RANT]

li0lsh

Hoopla Cash
$ 737.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*^^^^^^*

[RANT]
From Mac G4 to G5 to Mac Mini to Mac Book - they all work all the time. The # of Windoze laptops & Winblows desktops I've had to work on for people - a lot.

Mac's - one - some network printers setup, shared folders and other stuff.

Plus if you really need Windows, use Boot Camp (free) or Parallels ($75.00) and run Windows (XP or 7) on the MAC.

It was mentioned about the MAC being more expensive, yes they are. But how much time & bullshit do people spend on downloading drivers, virus scans, BlueScreenOfDeath (which is being replaced by BlackScreenOf Death) in Windows 8 (Yes they are working on 8 and trying to shake it up a bit), etc. Tough to measure that time in terms of productivity.
[/RANT]

I spend no time awake downloading drivers (which don't take any time at all), virus scans go on every friday while I am asleep as does my defragmenting, I've never gotten the blue screen of death in any computer the last 5 years because i dont click on stupid shit. I've had more problems with my iMac that I got freshman year of college than I ever got with my PCs

Fact of the matter is that the only people who use macs are hipsters and people who buy computers to surf internet and type word docs--or people in the video or picture industry

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Keep believing that. I am working a fraud case where a guy in the Ukraine has specifically targeted Mac users, and is just flat out raping their machines. He's been successful because none of them think it will happen to them, and their guard is down. They are just as susceptible to malware as any system, it's just that most ordinary virus writers don't have the skills to make it work, it's not plug and play so you're not under attack from the script kiddies.

I argue that the REALLY talented ones are the ones you need to be most afraid of anyhoo.

My Toshiba is running Ubuntu 10.04 with a Windows VM inside. I also have a Mac VM. Their media editing suite is second to none.

buffhockey

When the musics over
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep believing that. I am working a fraud case where a guy in the Ukraine has specifically targeted Mac users, and is just flat out raping their machines. He's been successful because none of them think it will happen to them, and their guard is down. They are just as susceptible to malware as any system, it's just that most ordinary virus writers don't have the skills to make it work, it's not plug and play so you're not under attack from the script kiddies.

I argue that the REALLY talented ones are the ones you need to be most afraid of anyhoo.

My Toshiba is running Ubuntu 10.04 with a Windows VM inside. I also have a Mac VM. Their media editing suite is second to none.

I worked on a Linux box someone hacked into and dropped down a rootkit. F'd that box up.

Curtrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I see macs being used more and more in sofware development and network security. But I also like windows, and I don't have too much problems with it. At work I use gentoo.

[youtube]t-L-0s-7-Z0[/youtube]

Curtrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I spend no time awake downloading drivers (which don't take any time at all), virus scans go on every friday while I am asleep as does my defragmenting, I've never gotten the blue screen of death in any computer the last 5 years because i dont click on stupid shit. I've had more problems with my iMac that I got freshman year of college than I ever got with my PCs

Fact of the matter is that the only people who use macs are hipsters and people who buy computers to surf internet and type word docs--or people in the video or picture industry

Last edited by a moderator:

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've owned a Mac and a PC. Both have their upsides, both have their pitfalls. Don't listen to the angry monkeys, try both out and see what you like better. You will pay more for a Mac but they require less work to maintain and they hold up better over time. For what it's worth, my next computer will probably be a PC due to cash flow.

sherbert1421

Dead Wings 2.0
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am looking at getting a new laptop and I need some advice. I am not the most computer savvy so I don't really know what I need and what is just an excessive waste of money.

What are some good brands? I think that I get a discount through HP but I am not sure it is so good that I can shop around and find a comparable price on a similar unit from another manufacturer.

I am going back to school so I will mostly be using it for schoolwork although I do plan on burning cd's (possibly dvd's as well but that is not a necessity).

I do like to play music on it but I don't need to stream tv.

Any advice will help me out a lot. I have spent the last week on CNET checking out reviews but most of the technical specs are like reading Chinese to me.

what i would do is just check around for deals on the web and at your local best buy or walmarts. honestly it doesn't really matter what brand you get, as most parts in the computer are made from the same companies anyways. i have had good and bad experiences with the same companies.

Mac's are good no doubt but judging by the fact that you don't sound like your big into computers, it wouldn't be worth the money

Just make sure that the laptop you get has a 4gb ram and i always like to have at least a 500 gb hard drive. most of them come standard with dvd burners so you shouldn't have to worry about that