• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comparing the comebacks: Joe VS Alex

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco 49ers – Niner Insider Blog – SFGate.com Comparing the comebacks: Joe vs. Alex

Reading through this article, it just jumps out to you how special Montana was, especially with the quick summary of his comeback against the Eagles.

NINERS 38, EAGLES 28

SEPT. 24, 1989

THE SITUATION: Trailing 21-10 with 14:50 left, Montana went completely berserk in the face of a Reggie-White-led rush that sacked him eight times. Montana capped scoring drives of 91, 75, 47 and 39 yards with touchdown passes to Taylor, Rathman, Brent Jones and Rice. Stunning stat: Those TD drives, combined, spanned 5 minutes and 32 seconds.

FOURTH-QUARTER STATS: 11 of 12, 227 yards, 4 TDs, 0 INT

Most of these guys today, if you hit them three or four times they're off their game... and pussies like Brady, Manning and Rodgers are begging for flags if they get hit once. Simply amazing that after getting sacked eight times and who knows how many hits, Montana rocked it like that in the 4th quarter. Dude was a god.

*EDIT* BTW, obviously the hits took Montana off his game in the 1st 3 quarters. What I mean is that you don't see guys recover from that type of beating to make 4th quarter comebacks, or to go off like Joe did.

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
San Francisco 49ers – Niner Insider Blog – SFGate.com Comparing the comebacks: Joe vs. Alex

Reading through this article, it just jumps out to you how special Montana was, especially with the quick summary of his comeback against the Eagles.

Most of these guys today, if you hit them three or four times they're off their game... and pussies like Brady, Manning and Rodgers are begging for flags if they get hit once. Simply amazing that after getting sacked eight times and who knows how many hits, Montana rocked it like that in the 4th quarter. Dude was a god.

he's definitely my all time favorite NFL player.

yeah the rule changes have encouraged the passing game, and at the same time protecting QB's and WR's. not surprising the passing stats are better today and rising, see Brees.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

*EDIT* BTW, obviously the hits took Montana off his game in the 1st 3 quarters. What I mean is that you don't see guys recover from that type of beating to make 4th quarter comebacks, or to go off like Joe did.

And to unto thee god, I :pray:

Yes, yes he was indeed a god!!...The reason he is considered the GOAT isn't just because of what he did come January...

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While yes the rules today are bogus and more for offense. At the same time the DL and LB's today are getting to the QB a hell of a lot more IMO. Physical freaks.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I remember that game. I remember yelling at the screen to put in Young and how much I didn't like Montana anymore because he was slow compared to Young (I was 11). My Dad said "boy, he might be the best qb you'll ever see". I was like "he's not even the best on his team". and wouldn't you know that before I could blurt out another remark the comeback started. Every td I would still shake my head and say "well Young wouldn't be losing". It seemed like everytime I said something Montana threw another td. He finished with 5 td's if I remember right. From that point I never disrespected Montana's name.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember that Eagles game so vividly. At halftime I went outside to play football by myself. Yes, sadly I used to throw the ball and run and make the catch myself. Fuck that...it wasn't sad, it was awesome and my neighbors probably thought I was strange. I just had a Wonder Years moment as I typed this thinking back about those days. Anyway... my dad comes out after the game and tells me they came back and won it. I was so pissed that I left early that I never did again.