• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Combine OL and TE's

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok so I have a fun activity that will give us something to talk about and discuss for weeks to come.

Rules of the thread are as follows;

Act as if these players never played college ball and you're going off physical skill alone.
40 times
cone drill
bag drill
change of direction drill / movement drill
measurables
overall grade.​

Grade scale is the typical A, B , C, +/-

I will create a different thread for each group of athletes.

Looking forward to hearing your analysis.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say it's awkward to watch most of these huge guys run the 40. At least one guy got hurt doing so (or was it two?). A few were very natural runners (like Su'a-Filo), but many others were running so hard it sounded like a herd of cattle. Footsteps should not be that loud when running, lol. They seem to only care about the splits, so why run the full 40?

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ebron may be the best TE to come out in the draft since Vernon Davis.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My analysis of the OLmen and TE's

OLinemen

Mathews:
Great lateral movement, good footwork and good hips. Keeps his arms in tight and punches the defender.
Good 10 yard split, ok bench, arms are a tad bit short but should be able to overcome that.

Only thing I'm worried about with Mathews is he might get overpowered by bullrushers. He seems to get pushed back in the pocket at times. However strength is always something that can be worked on.

Overall Grade: A-

Greg Robinson:
Ok lateral movement, light on his feet for a big man, a tad bit tight in his hips, smooth runner with a good 10 yard split, Great bench press, very strong. Big negative on him, when he blocks he leads with his head sometimes. If he does that in the NFL he'll end up wiffing on his block.

I ask myself with Robinson is he really a tackle? Could you imagine him at Guard? Pulling and punching defenders? I personally think he would be a better guard than a Tackle. Just because of his pass protection skills. I think speed defenders will have a field day on him in the NFL.

Overall Grade: B

Taylor Lewan:

Looked very fluid and a prototypical bodytype for an OT. Had a good 10 yard split, strong, and good hip movement.

I think Lewan will be the best tackle in the draft. I think it will take a year for him to fully reach his potential in the NFL but he's a guy I would grab if he's still there at the end of the first round.

Overall Grade: A

Zach Martin:

Also looked fluid, can play pretty every position on the line. I think he'll end up being a better guard than a tackle. Strong and light on his feet. Had an ok 10 yard split but at guard it doesn't matter as much.

Utility Linemen are becoming more and more important in the NFL. This guy can play pretty much any of the 4 positions on the line except center. If he's there in the 2nd round for the Rams I would seriously consider taking this guy even if we retain Saffold.

Overall Grade: B+

Cyrus Kouandjio:

Didn't look fluid, ran heavy, and looked very stiff. Strong but often gets over his feet on his run blocking (like Robinson)

I also think he might be a better guard because of his stiffness. I don't think he'll ever be a good LT because of his speed. Maybe an ok RT with some coaching.

Overall Grade: C-

Tight Ends:

None of these guys impressed me tbh. Ebron didn't do much except run and run his mouth. His tape looks pretty good but he's no Vernon Davis.

One guy that stood out to me is Reggie Jordan, I think he'll pop up in the NFL in year 2.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thought of Robinson and Gabe Jackson as our guards is pretty scary. Our run game would be nasty.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My analysis of the OLmen and TE's

OLinemen

Mathews:
Great lateral movement, good footwork and good hips. Keeps his arms in tight and punches the defender.
Good 10 yard split, ok bench, arms are a tad bit short but should be able to overcome that.

Only thing I'm worried about with Mathews is he might get overpowered by bullrushers. He seems to get pushed back in the pocket at times. However strength is always something that can be worked on.

Overall Grade: A-

Greg Robinson:
Ok lateral movement, light on his feet for a big man, a tad bit tight in his hips, smooth runner with a good 10 yard split, Great bench press, very strong. Big negative on him, when he blocks he leads with his head sometimes. If he does that in the NFL he'll end up wiffing on his block.

I ask myself with Robinson is he really a tackle? Could you imagine him at Guard? Pulling and punching defenders? I personally think he would be a better guard than a Tackle. Just because of his pass protection skills. I think speed defenders will have a field day on him in the NFL.

Overall Grade: B

Taylor Lewan:

Looked very fluid and a prototypical bodytype for an OT. Had a good 10 yard split, strong, and good hip movement.

I think Lewan will be the best tackle in the draft. I think it will take a year for him to fully reach his potential in the NFL but he's a guy I would grab if he's still there at the end of the first round.

Overall Grade: A

Zach Martin:

Also looked fluid, can play pretty every position on the line. I think he'll end up being a better guard than a tackle. Strong and light on his feet. Had an ok 10 yard split but at guard it doesn't matter as much.

Utility Linemen are becoming more and more important in the NFL. This guy can play pretty much any of the 4 positions on the line except center. If he's there in the 2nd round for the Rams I would seriously consider taking this guy even if we retain Saffold.

Overall Grade: B+

Cyrus Kouandjio:

Didn't look fluid, ran heavy, and looked very stiff. Strong but often gets over his feet on his run blocking (like Robinson)

I also think he might be a better guard because of his stiffness. I don't think he'll ever be a good LT because of his speed. Maybe an ok RT with some coaching.

Overall Grade: C-

Tight Ends:

None of these guys impressed me tbh. Ebron didn't do much except run and run his mouth. His tape looks pretty good but he's no Vernon Davis.

One guy that stood out to me is Reggie Jordan, I think he'll pop up in the NFL in year 2.

I see Martin going in the top 20. he was very good at the senior bowl