• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Collins

Ekspozed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wondering if they've totally given up on him as a rt? I know they have been looking for a good back up/future for free, but why not Collins and keep Leary?

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wondering if they've totally given up on him as a rt? I know they have been looking for a good back up/future for free, but why not Collins and keep Leary?

I think this would be a good idea for 2018. As of now, I don't think healthy Collins is one of our 5 best Olineman, Leary is better at LG and Free is criminally underrated at RT. That said, I would make Collins the primary backup at G/T for 2017 until he takes a job from someone. Both Collins and Free are free agents after 2017, at that point maybe they can look at bringing back Collins to take over at RT full time. All depends on La'el's asking price, to this point I can't see how he would demand big money, Collins' level of play hasn't been great during his time in the lineup.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the arrow for Collins is pointing up and that he is already a better Guard than Free is a Tackle. Would he be a better RT than Free right now? If I were to guess I would say yes, but I don't know and it would be just a guess. I would need to see how he handles the outside rush.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta believe Leary will get a nice paycheck after this year

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Leary and Collins will both do fine in their next contract. I hope both are here and reasonable. I like having Leary, or Collins, as a super backup that could play either guard or emergency tackle. I think Collins will end up being the better player, but he needs work and health. He is a better pass blocker than run blocker, which is normal for a young kid.

I think Collins will be here for a long time. His contract keeps him here through 2017 and then I think i read he is RFA in 2018. I don't know when the earliest is that we can extend him, maybe after this year? If so then I'd go ahead and extend him a couple of years on a better deal but still team friendly. I have to imagine that Jerry made promises to make him "whole" at the first chance possible.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's going to have to get a WHOLE lot better in order to be worth the kind of contract he wants. There was a noticeable difference when he left and Leary came back in. At this point, I'd be willing to let Collins walk if he's not willing to accept that fact and let his contract show it. No way do I part with Leary when Collins wants the same coin. Might be better off trading him away because we can't pay three guards good money.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's going to have to get a WHOLE lot better in order to be worth the kind of contract he wants. There was a noticeable difference when he left and Leary came back in. At this point, I'd be willing to let Collins walk if he's not willing to accept that fact and let his contract show it. No way do I part with Leary when Collins wants the same coin. Might be better off trading him away because we can't pay three guards good money.
Collins won't be up for "big money" until 2018. Leary decision will come before that and maybe Free too...and I'm not sure what "kind of contract" either Leary or Collins wants. Can't pay everyone and Martin is next priority. I've loved Leary since he got here and said he was better than Collins while Collins was healthy and starting and many wanted t otrade Leary, but if the choice is Leary at $6M per and Collins at $660K per there is no decision. That's why I'm looking more at Free versus Leary. but hat requires Collins or Martin to play RT

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point, Free should be the cheaper option, but also the one on the decline. I feel that we can sign both he and Leary to roughly what their combined base was this year and keep trucking in the right direction. Some of Free's money will land in Leary's lap with roughly 7.55 to be had (not including bonuses). Collins takes a backseat IMO, and not just because he is a 2018 FA. He could be trade bait or we could keep him as insurance in 2017 in the same way we did to Leary this year. Jerrah's comment about making him whole with the next contract gives me pause, because you know he will land more with us than he would get on the open market. Even then, we'd be stupid to give Collins more until he shows he is the better player. My hope is that he sees it this way and will accept a move to RT this offseason if we don't keep Free.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Collins have big time potential? Absolutely. Has he played up to that potential yet? Nope. Collins and the Cowboys are in a tricky spot regarding his next contract due to other expiring contracts on the Oline coming up, and the necessity to extend Martin. How much do you pay Collins? Tough to say. I imagine some of these questions will be answered on the field next year. One thing is for certain though, if it were up to me, Collins would have to take someone's job before he finds himself back in the starting lineup.

Have to be cautious with an extension for Leary, due to his degenerative knee condition.

On another note, do not move Zack Martiin from RG, under any circumstances. Most every dominant running team you see has dominant Guard play, and Martin might be the best Guard in the NFL. To my eyes he is definitely the best pulling Guard in football, absolutely wreaking havoc on opposing defenses when he is pulling outside. I truly believe Martin has more value to the Cowboys at RG than at RT.

Ekspozed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Collins have big time potential? Absolutely. Has he played up to that potential yet? Nope. Collins and the Cowboys are in a tricky spot regarding his next contract due to other expiring contracts on the Oline coming up, and the necessity to extend Martin. How much do you pay Collins? Tough to say. I imagine some of these questions will be answered on the field next year. One thing is for certain though, if it were up to me, Collins would have to take someone's job before he finds himself back in the starting lineup.

Have to be cautious with an extension for Leary, due to his degenerative knee condition.

On another note, do not move Zack Martiin from RG, under any circumstances. Most every dominant running team you see has dominant Guard play, and Martin might be the best Guard in the NFL. To my eyes he is definitely the best pulling Guard in football, absolutely wreaking havoc on opposing defenses when he is pulling outside. I truly believe Martin has more value to the Cowboys at RG than at RT.

Oh in no way would I move Martin. He is brilliant where he is. I feel they handed Collins the job more than he earned it.
IMO the only reason Leary isn't treated as highly as our 1st rounders is because of his knee not his play.
To me the weak link on the line is Free. Not that he isn't playing good, but it might be easier to take his job than Leary's. might also be more beneficial. Our run game might actually upgrade.