• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I lived in Stockholm - where coffee is a cultural institution - the coffee machine went down one day. The whole office gave the boss two options: 1) buy coffee for everyone from a coffee house or 2) give everyone the rest of the day off.

Seriously. People refused to even stay and work without the coffee machine.

I may suggest that.

"Send those fuckers home"

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funny thing is I never was much of a coffee drinker until I worked for 18 months at the Starbucks Support Center in the SoHo district of Seattle. Free Starbucks coffee was tough to turn down.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The water is back on and there is actually a line into the breakroom.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The water is back on and there is actually a line into the breakroom.

When I lived in Stockholm - where coffee is a cultural institution - the coffee machine went down one day. The whole office gave the boss two options: 1) buy coffee for everyone from a coffee house or 2) give everyone the rest of the day off.

Seriously. People refused to even stay and work without the coffee machine.

Caffeine is a hell of a drug.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caffeine is a hell of a drug.

It's not even the caffeine so much to them. It really is just a cultural institution. There's a term there called "fika" which would loosely translate as coffee break. But it's more than that. The idea is that you go with your colleagues (if a work day) or friends/family/date (weekends) and you don't just get coffee, but you sit down and you chat. At work it's usually about a 20 minute deal.

Except in most offices where they have a tradition called Fredags Fika (Friday fika - some companies do different days, but Friday is most common) where either the company or an employee (on a rotating basis) provides some type of baked good like cake, pie, etc. and everyone has coffee and baked good and chats for about 30 minutes.

This almost always takes place at 2:30.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for the record, although they don't grow any beans there (shockingly, the climate isn't good for it), Sweden has the best tasting coffee on Earth. Very bold, yet extremely smooth.

After you've had some of their best, drinking anything in N. America just tastes like swill.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I grabbed my morning coffee at Starbucks© this morning and ABC's "The Look of Love" was being played over the speakers. I did a little duo with the barista on the chorus "That's the look, that's the look, the look of love".

/I don't know if I can show my face at that establishment again.

I have a ABC "The Look of Love" story too. A couple years ago it came on the radio and I listened for a bit. It was some extended version where as I rode by a group of people with my window down there was a part of the song where he was singing "yipee ki*, yippee ki, yippe ki yayayaya". I got some looks. More like the look of mockery, not love.

I have been coffee free for about 2 months and caffeine free for 1 1/2 months. I weaned off coffee by drinking tea for 2 weeks and then went completely cold turkey. Highly recommend it if you enjoy being lethargic and getting headaches for no reason.

Ive been coffee free for about 5 weeks (i got a chai tea at starbucks) because I had a slight health scare in late Sept ... ( also booze free which is disappointing :( ) and i feel great ... although Im seriously jonesing for it

it was killing my gut ... especially drinking it on an empty stomach ... Im going for food screening tests in mid Oct and wouldnt be surprised to find coffee is a huge no-no for my system

getting old sucks :pout:

I stopped for a couple months a few years ago because of stomach problems, especially after drinking the morning cup on an empty stomach. At least for me - after staying off of it for a while the first cup back was magical. Tasted great and had me a bit hyped up in a good way.

I still do not drink as much coffee as I once did, but I found a lot of my problem was the bit of milk I was putting in the coffee. I switched to non dairy liquid stuff and a lot of my problems went away. I too wonder if I may not always be able to drink it.

I went to school with a guy named Al Paka

I bet school was fun for Al.

* as i have never typed that and probably never will again I am not sure if that's spelled correctly

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stopped for a couple months a few years ago because of stomach problems, especially after drinking the morning cup on an empty stomach. At least for me - after staying off of it for a while the first cup back was magical. Tasted great and had me a bit hyped up in a good way.

I still do not drink as much coffee as I once did, but I found a lot of my problem was the bit of milk I was putting in the coffee. I switched to non dairy liquid stuff and a lot of my problems went away. I too wonder if I may not always be able to drink it.

i dont think its the milk/dairy as i can handle it in the chai latte without any issues :noidea: ... i had a diverticulitis attack ... went off the coffee and booze cause I dont feel like testing my gut until I get further tests done in the next couple weeks

it was great this weekend as my pops-in-law broke out a new 96 point wine from his cellar :ohwell:

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont think its the milk/dairy as i can handle it in the chai latte without any issues :noidea: ... i had a diverticulitis attack ... went off the coffee and booze cause I dont feel like testing my gut until I get further tests done in the next couple weeks

it was great this weekend as my pops-in-law broke out a new 96 point wine from his cellar :ohwell:

Probably not it then. Mine was really weird. I would get up in the morning and have a cup of coffee and I would feel really bloated, like I just at a huge meal. Even though I was in my upper 30s and never had an intolerance to dairy thats kind of what it sounded like so I switched to non dairy creamer and to soy or almond milk if I had cereal or something. It might have been something else going on that ended the same time, but to me my switch seemed to help.

Now a couple weeks ago I was on vacation and there was no non dairy creamer available and I used milk for a few days and wasn't bothered at all. :noidea:

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't even know where to put this

Chris rock opens SNL with a monologue on The Boston Marathon attack, 9/11 and the commercializations of. Jesus. It's actually really well done and at first I was man what are you doing, then as he got deeper into it I got his point. It's good

Last edited by a moderator:

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other thing you can try are K-cups by San Francisco Bay. You can get them on Amazon pretty cheap and they've got a bunch of varieties.

But what's cool about them is that they don't use the plastic outside of the K-cup but instead use a mesh system. As it stands right now, 97% of what is in their K-cups is biodegradable, and the company claims they're working to get all the way over the hump.

Even the packaging it ships in is 100% biodegradable, including the box and the pouches therein that have 10 K-cups in each.

I saw another brand like that in the store over the weekend and picked up a box. It by a company called White Coffee and they have biodegradable filters and packaging. Its pretty good coffee too.

White Coffee

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw another brand like that in the store over the weekend and picked up a box. It by a company called White Coffee and they have biodegradable filters and packaging. Its pretty good coffee too.

White Coffee

I bet we could get Darren Pang an endorsement deal if we put our heads together.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet we could get Darren Pang an endorsement deal if we put our heads together.

Not a bad idea, lets proceed carefully though. There's a white way and a wrong way to go about these things.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a white way and a wong way to go about these things.

sad to admit but deep down inside Im hoping one day Joshua Ho Sang does something really stupid on the ice in an nhl game and Panger is there to make the above comment on it

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sad to admit but deep down inside Im hoping one day Joshua Ho Sang does something really stupid on the ice in an nhl game and Panger is there to make the above comment on it

I had to look him up. Wow, that's quite a combination.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I grabbed my morning coffee at Starbucks© this morning and ABC's "The Look of Love" was being played over the speakers. I did a little duo with the barista on the chorus "That's the look, that's the look, the look of love".

/I don't know if I can show my face at that establishment again.

OK, its 2 to 1 now.

I've had "The Look Of Love" in my head for 4 days now. Thanks Dash, paybacks a comin'!

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this board sometime affects other aspects of my life. I was in a sub shop earlier and Bowie's "Heroes" came on the radio. I could barely stop myself from laughing.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this board sometime affects other aspects of my life. I was in a sub shop earlier and Bowie's "Heroes" came on the radio. I could barely stop myself from laughing.

I wanted to nudge the stranger next to me and say 'hey, we're getting subs and there is a song about heroes on. Get it?'.

And then patiently wait for them to fit grinder, po boy or, something else into a sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.