• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Clock Management

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Don't like this sentiment from Harbaugh one bit:

Morning Tailgate: Jim Harbaugh Quiets Play-Clock Concerns

“Sometimes the play-clock is going to run down to 1, but you’re not always going to have 40 minutes of time of possession. That’s not a bad trade off. Keep that in mind.”

And Jim, if this was the first time you'd had issues, no one would be terribly concerned with it. But it's literally every week, at home or on the road. We can't get the plays in and off on time, and your coaching staff and players have failed to correct the problem. It needs to get fixed if we want to go into Seattle and win.

I'm assuming Harbaugh is just saying this for the press and doesn't actually believe it. That said, the inability to correct this problem - which has been a problem for almost his entire coaching tenure with the Niners - is a huge problem. It needs to be addressed.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

“Sometimes the play-clock is going to run down to 1, but you’re not always going to have 40 minutes of time of possession. That’s not a bad trade off. Keep that in mind.”

And Jim, if this was the first time you'd had issues, no one would be terribly concerned with it. But it's literally every week, at home or on the road. We can't get the plays in and off on time, and your coaching staff and players have failed to correct the problem. It needs to get fixed if we want to go into Seattle and win.

I'm assuming Harbaugh is just saying this for the press and doesn't actually believe it. That said, the inability to correct this problem - which has been a problem for almost his entire coaching tenure with the Niners - is a huge problem. It needs to be addressed.

I didn't like that comment either but I have to believe that since Harbaugh is the middle man in the play calling the he is the reason why we have issues with the play clock. Because these issues span two QBs one being an 8 year vet and the other now have started 24 games in his career.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

they had it addressed for a while, but its crept back up.

is it the getting the play in on time, or Kaep taking too long adjusting? likely a combination of both, so is it more the play, or more on Kaep?

nmgsc2002

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember this being an issue for his Stanford teams. I felt like they always had plenty of time on the clock and that's with no helmet headset. Are play calls that much more complex than what they would call at Stanford from the sideline?

At the same time though, sometimes it is due to Kap recognizing a coverage too late and trying to kill the play too late in the play clock. Regardless though, it is a problem that makes me angry each and every game more so than Holding Penalties or PI.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they had it addressed for a while, but its crept back up.

is it the getting the play in on time, or Kaep taking too long adjusting? likely a combination of both, so is it more the play, or more on Kaep?

We had the same issues with Smith at QB so why it could be Kap taking to long to get the play in I don't believe that Kap and Smith had the same exact issues under the Harbaugh Coaching Regimen

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
5kec.png

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's more than just the play clock. It is also losing challenges. I'm sure there will be a time when we need to make a comeback and need a time out or two.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its getting better. I agree they need to improve on this. This has more to do with the coaching staff then Kap. Smith had the same problems.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It's a byproduct of having a complex offense.

Roman calls 2-3 plays that Kap needs to relay then he needs to read the defense to pick the right play and then our plays typically have a guy or two in motion before the snap.

It's been better lately and I think it reared up again in Tampa because I noticed Kap had to direct guys into the right spot in more than one occasion.

As far as Harbaugh's comments go I would say it's one of his typical lines he feeds the media. Watching his reaction on the sidelines after the first delay of game penalty he clearly was not happy about it and it appeared he was yelling in his headset.

My biggest concern is that our offense has no real hurry up opportunities. It would be nice to see more up tempo pace from time to time to keep defenses off balanced sorta like the Bucs did to our defense.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There is no common denominator except for the team(49ers) We had these similar issues with Smith at Qb and also similar issues with entirely different coaching staffs. This clock management issue has been going on for years.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't that why we have time outs? If he burned three of them in the first seven minutes of the second half then needed one at the end of the game I might be concerned... but thats not what happened.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't that why we have time outs? If he burned three of them in the first seven minutes of the second half then needed one at the end of the game I might be concerned... but thats not what happened.

It has, I've seen Kap calling for a 4th timeout.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has, I've seen Kap calling for a 4th timeout.

lol, ok point taken. And I agree it was an issue earlier in the year... but it has been better in my opinion. Still I would say that red zone issues are more of a concern than clock management. Finishing drives. Had we been able to convert on 3rd and 2, the timeout would not have been necessary. I think it just looked worse because Tampa called a timeout just before and we had plenty of time to figure things out. But it didn't affect the outcome of the game or the score at all. Would rather use all our timeouts and convert a 3rd and two at the end of the game than not call a timeout and end up 3rd and 7.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's more than just the play clock. It is also losing challenges. I'm sure there will be a time when we need to make a comeback and need a time out or two.

Yeah, I could have told you (and did tell the TV, over and over) that we were going to lose the last three challenges. At least the most recent one had a shot, but they almost never overturn the "football move" fumble scenario. We'd almost be better off without having challenges.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
lol, ok point taken. And I agree it was an issue earlier in the year... but it has been better in my opinion. Still I would say that red zone issues are more of a concern than clock management. Finishing drives. Had we been able to convert on 3rd and 2, the timeout would not have been necessary. I think it just looked worse because Tampa called a timeout just before and we had plenty of time to figure things out. But it didn't affect the outcome of the game or the score at all. Would rather use all our timeouts and convert a 3rd and two at the end of the game than not call a timeout and end up 3rd and 7.

Sure. I'm not saying this is the team's biggest problem. It's just a stupid problem. It should be remarkably easy to fix this, but we can't do it. To some extent, I think this speaks to some of the bigger issues on offense. If we can't fix this minor and easily remedied problem, how can we fix the big stuff?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Sick! I'm literally giggling like a little girl over here with this pic....fucking hilarious.

I gotta pee.

Wow, I have never thanked someone for making me have to pee. (Yes, I know, you weren't being literal.)

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate that answer. Just fix the problem.

:agree:

If everyone in the organization doesn't think it's a problem then everyone in the organization is wrong. It's a huge problem that should have been fixed years ago.