• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cliff Burton died 27yrs ago today

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
R.I.P

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bass player from mettalica?

And founding member and song writer. Newsted was doomed from the start following in his shoes. Ulrich and Hetfield have said as much in retrospect.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And founding member and song writer. Newsted was doomed from the start following in his shoes. Ulrich and Hetfield have said as much in retrospect.

Newsted did alright. It was the rest of the band that was doomed from a musical perspective.

They might have sold more albums after his death but their early stuff with Burton was FAR, FAR, FAR superior than the crap they put out after his death (plus Lars became such a whiny little bitch).

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vilipend-It-Should-Have-Been-Lars-Shirt.jpeg

I totally agree!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newsted did alright. It was the rest of the band that was doomed from a musical perspective.

They might have sold more albums after his death but their early stuff with Burton was FAR, FAR, FAR superior than the crap they put out after his death (plus Lars became such a whiny little bitch).

Can't argue. Everything past the Black album has been darn-near un-listenable.

I wonder if the fact that Burton still wrote most of the stuff from Justice and Black had anything to do with that?

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Exactly. Metallica could have been a historically good band had Burton lived. He was the only one in the band with a very sophisticated sense of music. They did manage to put out some good stuff after he was gone, but Puppets has his fingerprints all over it, and he even has some songwriting credits on Justice, which is their last meaningful album.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I wonder if the fact that Burton still wrote most of the stuff from Justice and Black had anything to do with that?

I don't think you can say he wrote "most" of the stuff from either one. By the Black album his input had completely vanished, not to mention his style.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw them on:
Ride the Lightning (front row at the Cain's)
Master of Puppets (front row at the Cain's)
And Justice for All (Tulsa Conv. Ctr. & Monsters of Rock at the Cotton Bowl)
Black (went because a friend's friend couldn't go...didn't pay for the ticket, was already done with them)

Cliff inspired my interest in Hardcore Punk. I miss him.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't argue. Everything past the Black album has been darn-near un-listenable.

I never understand people who trash everything after the Black album, most of the time people trash the Black album as well. I agree that Load, Re-Load etc are nowhere near as good as their previous albums there are still some great songs on each album.

Regarding Cliff, I still remember exactly where I was when I heard the news he died.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never understand people who trash everything after the Black album, most of the time people trash the Black album as well. I agree that Load, Re-Load etc are nowhere near as good as their previous albums there are still some great songs on each album.

Regarding Cliff, I still remember exactly where I was when I heard the news he died.

The Black Album was the death of em'.

Sorry bro.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, you could even say it started to slip on Justice.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, you could even say it started to slip on Justice.

so what started to slip? Songwriting, drumming (popular choice), recording, hair lines?