• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Clemson @ UGa - 1984

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This many only be of interest to Clemson and UGa fans, but as we prep for this great game on Saturday, a lot of you may not realize what a great rivalry this is. The two campuses are only 80 miles apart, and a lot of Georgia folks lose their minds and go to Clemson, and a lot of the smarter SC folks get it right and go to UGa. We played each other 25 years straight from the late 60s until 1987 (I attended 3 of those games), with UGa dominating, but each team pulling some heartbreaking upsets. Herschel's only regular season loss in his 3 years was to Clemson, which kept us from winning back to back NCs in 1980/1981.

With this backdrop, I give you a story by Lewis Grizzard. If you don't know who he is, you owe it to yourself to google him. He was a southern writer, but was syndicated nationally. Here is his article after the 1984 Clemson game, which to this day is the second best athletic event I have ever been to (behind game 7 of the 2005 Stanely Cup) ... a 60 yard field goal to win the game.

Lewis Grizzard Wednesday: To My Son | The Grit Tree

And, here is the legendary Larry Munson's call of the last few minutes of the game.

Short radio version:

Long TV with radio dubbed:

[YOUTUBE]uO-p01DGR6o[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was before I was born but what a hell of a kick.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This many only be of interest to Clemson and UGa fans, but as we prep for this great game on Saturday, a lot of you may not realize what a great rivalry this is. The two campuses are only 80 miles apart, and a lot of Georgia folks lose their minds and go to Clemson, and a lot of the smarter SC folks get it right and go to UGa. We played each other 25 years straight from the late 60s until 1987 (I attended 3 of those games), with UGa dominating, but each team pulling some heartbreaking upsets. Herschel's only regular season loss in his 3 years was to Clemson, which kept us from winning back to back NCs in 1980/1981.

With this backdrop, I give you a story by Lewis Grizzard. If you don't know who he is, you owe it to yourself to google him. He was a southern writer, but was syndicated nationally. Here is his article after the 1984 Clemson game, which to this day is the second best athletic event I have ever been to (behind game 7 of the 2005 Stanely Cup) ... a 60 yard field goal to win the game.

And, here is the legendary Larry Munson's call of the last few minutes of the game.

Short radio version:

I remember slaughtering sPitt's NC dreams that year. beat them 48-14. funny part is they both tried like Hell to win that game, none of this "we didn't want to be there" BS certain posters throw out there nowadays. To quote John Brown:
"We had a very strong ego and self-esteem as a team," Brown said recently. "We had a lot of character and said, 'Let's go down there and re-establish ourselves.'"

By the way, loved Grizzard.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was before I was born but what a hell of a kick.
It was a beautiful warm day, we were trashed from drinking bourbon all day, and we didn't leave for an hour after the game. The band kept playing and we kept high fiving. 60 fucking yards. It's a classic Munson call.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"so we are going to try and kick one 100,000 miles" - Larry Munson

Probably the best of the best to ever call a game on the radio.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know UGA and clemson are only 80 miles apart. College football needs to get back to regional football, lets blow up all the conferences and re district all the power 5 schools based on region.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"so we are going to try and kick one 100,000 miles" - Larry Munson

Probably the best of the best to ever call a game on the radio.
"The stadium is worse than bonkers!!!'

Couldn't agree with you more ... what a joy to listen to him all those years.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know UGA and clemson are only 80 miles apart. College football needs to get back to regional football, lets blow up all the conferences and re district all the power 5 schools based on region.
Can't agree with you on the conference realign, but I sure wish we played Clemson every year. We get the Nerds every year as it should be, but I'd love to have Clemson annually.

GEORGIA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Short radio version:

Thanks for the videos, buddy. So awesome!!

GEORGIA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, conferences suck. Teams like Florida State get a free ride into the Natty. Meanwhile, teams like Auburn win 6 games by a TD or less and need two miracles to even make that game. They were also winning the entire game up until the final play. I hate SEC teams more than anyone, but this league needs to be realigned. So many great programs in the SEC and I think the ACC is one of the worst of the power 5. Although, I think realigning the Nation wouldn't change much. Just better football in the southeast... People that say the PAC is right on the heels of the SEC are extremely mistaken. Not even close...:L

24seven

Biggest Cock Around Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't agree with you on the conference realign, but I sure wish we played Clemson every year. We get the Nerds every year as it should be, but I'd love to have Clemson annually.

:nod:

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, conferences suck. Teams like Florida State get a free ride into the Natty. Meanwhile, teams like Auburn win 6 games by a TD or less and need two miracles to even make that game. They were also winning the entire game up until the final play. I hate SEC teams more than anyone, but this league needs to be realigned. So many great programs in the SEC and I think the ACC is one of the worst of the power 5. Although, I think realigning the Nation wouldn't change much. Just better football in the southeast... People that say the PAC is right on the heels of the SEC are extremely mistaken. Not even close...:L

Well, in most years I guess you could say the ACC was a "Free Ride", but we were decent last year, and for goodness sake, it wasn't like FSU left any doubt on the field in any of our conference games...

It'll sound like sour grapes, but a lot of talk about Dameyune Craig stealing our play calls through most of the first half until we finally wised up and started shielding our play-callers in the second half... Don't know if that is true or not, but it would explain how an assy defense like Auburn had last season looked like world-beaters for one half against us...

Oh well, we'll take NC #3 whether you believe we deserve it or not... :suds:

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say "have Clemson anally" like you guys do. :rollseyes:

Any of you all given your cousins in Gainesville a rectal exam recently? The results might surprise you.. :whistle:

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Payton guy should get to know Bambino they are like brothers from different mothers.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember. I was at Folly Beach listening to the game on the radio.

The '86 game was a good un too.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucxgIGhmwes]1986 Jim Phillips-Clemson vs Georgia Game Winning Kick - YouTube[/ame]

and for what it's worth, neither Herschel Walker nor George Rogers ever scored on Clemson.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll sound like sour grapes, but a lot of talk about Dameyune Craig stealing our play calls through most of the first half until we finally wised up and started shielding our play-callers in the second half... Don't know if that is true or not, but it would explain how an assy defense like Auburn had last season looked like world-beaters for one half against us...

The sad thing, that most FSU fans don't seem to get, is it is worse if it is true...

If the story is true, your coaches were too stupid to change the signals for a NC game...WTF. And even if you think it happened, as a coach I sure wouldn't broadcast to the world that I was that stupid. I guess if you're too stupid to figure out the first lesson, you're probably not bright enough to figure out the second, good luck with that.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sad thing, that most FSU fans don't seem to get, is it is worse if it is true...

If the story is true, your coaches were too stupid to change the signals for a NC game...WTF. And even if you think it happened, as a coach I sure wouldn't broadcast to the world that I was that stupid. I guess if you're too stupid to figure out the first lesson, you're probably not bright enough to figure out the second, good luck with that.

:wtf: