• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Civilization

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, anyone play the Civ series and do you enjoy them? I usually play Age of Empires, but AoE has not come out with a new game in years...I see Civ V is somewhat recent.

I am looking for a build a dynasty time PC game....Anyone here have Civ V? Also, if you do, do you know if it is real time playing? Example: much like these current phone app empire building games where you do a move, have to wait 45 minutes or so before you can move again?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have played Civ since the original version back in '95 or so. My personal favorite was Civ II.

I played Civ V a few times, but they completely abandoned the game engine from the first 4 versions, and it was a completely different game at that point, and I was not interested anymore.

Versions I-IV were turn based. I think V was as well, but I do not remember. I have not played it in years.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like them all a great deal. Probably one of the best strategy games of all time.

I think my personal favorite was Civ IV (as soon as I disabled easy diplomatic victories for the computer)

They are all turn-based but they've done an excellent job of keeping the pace pretty quick. (Although I doubt it will be like a real-time game) as opposed to the Total War series where the computer turns can be quite long.

It's been a while but the time between turns in closer to 5-10 minutes max. (People can correct me if I'm wrong)
Even Rome II's turns are in the 10-15 minute range.

The combat in Civ V did change dramatically to stacks of military units to one unit per square but I grew to like it.

I had the original AOE but never got into it since it was a simple type of rock, papers, scissors game back then. I don't know what AOE was like at the end but initially it was like checkers and chess. The depth and inter-relatedness of all the factors in CIV is extremely well done. There are a lot of different ways to build your empire and win the game.

Since I do think the CIV series is probably one of the best strategy series ever I think there's a good shot you'd like it. Certainly once you get the hang of it a little.

Start easy and don't get discouraged if you happen to get your butt kicked at the beginning.

Last edited:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.

Civ II was the best imo. Played the hell out of it in college.

Just got the Civilization Revolution II app on my phone. Only played one random map so far. Still getting used to it.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.

Civ II was the best imo. Played the hell out of it in college.

Just got the Civilization Revolution II app on my phone. Only played one random map so far. Still getting used to it.
Yeah, if you're just getting into the game, definitely start on the easy setting and let yourself learn. The in game tutorial can be a big help in learning the ropes as well.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing I hate about the civilation is everyone relentless desire for war even from peacenics like Ghandi. You need a strong military, war is a given.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing I hate about the civilation is everyone relentless desire for war even from peacenics like Ghandi. You need a strong military, war is a given.

Yes. You can't avoid war but it's very possible at some point to build a safe and secure nation that can concentrate on technology, economics and culture instead.

Certain civs are more amenable to diplomacy than others etc.

One common way to victory is to build a space ship so your civilization is the first to go to Alpha Centauri. :)

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Civilation is an enjoyable, addictive game. Each release has gotten better. I just wish there was more diplomacy, your best advantage early is any few borders as possible. Mostly if you can get surrounded by water. And I usually try to build the Great Wall asap.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fuck Ghandi. He's such a dick in the games.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm not sure if I'm liking wait time...

I also found Tropico? Where you build a Caribbean island into either a vacation resort island or a resource to bigger countries. Sounds fun.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Civ but it really isn't all that deep. It's a shallow game pretending to be deep.

If you like Dynasty building games, like it more real time than turn based (although you can control the speed and pause it), and want a little more depth from your game; Europa Universalis 4 is pretty recent and they just launched a new expansion like last week.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Civ but it really isn't all that deep. It's a shallow game pretending to be deep.

Depends on what level you play it on.

At the easier difficulty levels, it's possible to win without taking advantage of all the strategic complexity. Play on the highest 3 levels and it'll start kicking your *ss, and then you either have to give up, or start knowing the complexity.

I don't think I've ever had the patience to beat the game at Emperor, Deity or Immortal levels.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on what level you play it on.

At the easier difficulty levels, it's possible to win without taking advantage of all the strategic complexity. Play on the highest 3 levels and it'll start kicking your *ss, and then you either have to give up, or start knowing the complexity.

I don't think I've ever had the patience to beat the game at Emperor, Deity or Immortal levels.

I didn't say it wasn't hard, it's just not that deep or complex. It has lots of choices, but once you learn how to play a couple of games, it all feels really linear. At least to me.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say it wasn't hard, it's just not that deep or complex. It has lots of choices, but once you learn how to play a couple of games, it all feels really linear. At least to me.

It reminds me of chess. Easy to learn, but you can take a lifetime (or more) to master it.

What you said about 'once you learn how to play a couple of games' is exactly what I mean. I can play on the easiest 3 levels in my sleep. Even on Prince, unless I make seriously stupid gaffes I'll win.

But on those higher levels, what I 'learned to play' is useless. I go from being confident in my ability to win to saying 'wtf is going on?'

To use the chess analogy again, I beat most of my grade school/high school opponents. But when I played with a guy who actually could think 6 or 7 moves ahead? I knew within a dozen moves, that I'd never beat him, ever. He was toying with me, humoring me.

I read about some people who are so good, that they can play the 'single city' game and still win on deity.

I can't fathom that.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I decided to buy Cities Skylines instead....what a mistake....that game is not that fun, and gets repetitive fast.

I didn't get Civ because I saw there is a turn limit...I didn't want that, I don't want to be limited by turns. I wish there was a RTS game where there is a chance it could never end and you win either by diplomacy, military, political, or economical rule.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you like Dynasty building games, like it more real time than turn based (although you can control the speed and pause it), and want a little more depth from your game; Europa Universalis 4 is pretty recent and they just launched a new expansion like last week.

I might get this a try! Thanks

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with those saying Civ II is the best. And I think Civ IV is the worst of Civs I - V. Civ V is pretty good with DLC content.

Once you play through a couple games on the lower settings while learning, you must turn it up to one of the top 3 levels with max world size & civilizations.

And yes, Ghandi is a dick.

Civ VI Beyond Earth is garbage. I sniped a torrent of it to check out before I wasted my money. I am glad I did. Even 'free', it was still a piece of shit. It's the only copy of the game I haven't bought.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I decided to buy Cities Skylines instead....what a mistake....that game is not that fun, and gets repetitive fast.

I didn't get Civ because I saw there is a turn limit...I didn't want that, I don't want to be limited by turns. I wish there was a RTS game where there is a chance it could never end and you win either by diplomacy, military, political, or economical rule.

You can continue to play once the turn limit is reached. I just think you don't score anymore points. I could be wrong though. In the 100s of saves of Civ games I have played, I have never hit the turn limit. Either I win or some dick nation decides to fuck up my game & I start over.

And I think they nerfed Ghandi in Civ V after one of the updates or DLC.