• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cincy Jungle Mock Draft 1.0

augustisback003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Here's an interesting mock I found online. Their rational following my line of thinking as I too believe there is a strong possibility of Devon Still and Mark Barron being drafted by the Bengals if they are available.

excerpt~

17. Cincinnati Bengals - Stephon Gilmore - CB - South Carolina - 6'1" 195 lbs
Of the list of the Bengals biggest needs, Cornerback ranks among Guard, Runningback, and Safety as the biggest areas in need of youth and potential. Free agency always changes a team's needs, but CB may be the hardest to fill with a veteran free agent. Leon Hall is coming off of a serious injury and Nate Clements doesn't have many years left. Adding a rookie to that mix would add some youth and athleticism as well as protecting the team from being left without capable players if a starter gets hurt.

Stephon Gilmore may be a surprise pick, but he is the number three CB on my board and is somebody that I project will gain momentum as the draft approaches. Gilmore left South Carolina early and still has some finer points to learn, but he has the size, speed, and athleticism to become a number one CB. He's built like a safety and is very aggressive against the run. He can really lay the wood and isn't afraid to take on RBs and TEs in the flats. He's a sure tackler and has experience in both press and off coverage. He could be that off-man cover CB the Bengals lost in Johnathan Joseph. It's an easy comparison (and I hate to even use it), but Gilmore looks just like Dunta Robinson when he came out. It's more than them playing at the same school and having dreds. It's the way they are scheme diverse, play the run, can employ the "Hit Stick", and blitz the QB. Speaking of blitzing, Gilmore is a natural and one of the best I've seen in years at the collegiate level. I could see Stephon Gilmore as one of the Bengals starting CBs by 2013.

*Note: My full Stephon Gilmore scouting report should be posted sometime in the next few days.

Other Options at 17

A. Michael Floyd - WR - Notre Dame

Floyd would be the perfect compliment to A.J. Green's skills as the underneath and over-the-middle type of WR. He also adds the return ability the Bengals should be looking to upgrade. But, in 4-5 years, will the Bengals pay two WRs in their prime?

B. Nick Perry - DE/OLB - USC

DE is a bigger need than I first realized. Fanene and Rucker could be gone, Geathers should always been looking over his shoulder and Michael Johnson and Carlos Dunlap have never proven to be full-time starters. Perry could also be that pass rushing Sam LB that Marvin Lewis has been trying to find.

C. Dont'a Hightower - LB - Alabama

Where is the coaching staff's confidence in Rey Maualuga after an up-and-down year? Will he take the next step in 2012? Is moving Rey back outside an option? With so many questions in the middle, Hightower could be the player to answer them. He could also play the strong side until the LB corps is figured out.

D. Alfonzo Dennard - CB - Nebraska

Perhaps the Bengals don't share the same love for Gilmore that I do. The next best on many boards is Alfonzo Denard. I'm not a fan of his skills for the Bengals. He's on the shorter and slower side.

E. Devon Still - DT - Penn State

If Pat Sims leaving in free agency, DT is a huge need. Geno Atkins is the man, but Domata Peko is average on most days. Still would be that huge, run stuffing presence to pair with Atkins for years to come, while also adding to the line rotation in 2012.

21. Cincinnati Bengals - Mark Barron - S - Alabama - 6'2" 218 lbs
There are a few starting spots open on the Bengals heading into the off-season, safety is one of them. Mark Barron is widely considered the best player in yet another weak safety class. After Barron, there is a significant drop off in talent. If the Bengals re-sign Reggie Nelson, signing another veteran free agent safety may be out of the question. I look for the Bengals to address a position they have neglected for years.

Mark Barron is just starting to become the player he can be. He was always known for his aggressive attitude towards the run. He's made highlights with bone-crushing hits. Heading into his senior year, scouts wanted to see Barron play better in coverage. Can he cover the TE, play deep center field, how are his balls skills, can he change direction good enough? These were all questions in Barron's game. This year, Barron progressed in every one of his flaws and really opened eyes and the imagination of scouts. It looks as if Barron is just now coming reaching his potential and there may be very few limitations to what he can do in the NFL. He's still not the best in coverage but what he offers as an enforcer and run defender are exactly what the Bengals need. With the need to rotate and play both safety spots in Cincinnati, Barron can do just that and also be a leader of the secondary in a few years.

Other Options at 21

A. Peter Konz - C/G - Wisconsin

Even though he played center, Konz is my number two rated guard and he comes from a very similar offense in Wisconsin. A lot of their same line concepts the Bengals also use. He would step in and start at RG on day one.

B. Lamar Miller - RB - Miami

The Bengals haven't had a real home run threat at RB since I can remember. Players like Miller are rare. In fact, there isn't another player like him in this draft. He has blazing speed and elusiveness that the Bengals lack.

C. Dwight Jones - WR - UNC

Again, why do I put a WR on this list? Over last few years, WRs taken in the late first round have found success and a good rate. Look at the most successful offenses in the NFL. They have more than one WR. The Bengals need to surround Dalton with as many weapons as possible.

D. Quinton Coples - DE - UNC

Coples is a boom or bust type player. He is very similar to our own Carlos Dunlap. Big frame, strong and can run. Why doesn't he have more sacks? More talent than he is football player. As always with these types of guys, their best should be ahead of them.

E. Janoris Jenkins - CB - North Alabama

Jenkins has made his own bed. Now he has to sleep in it. He could've been a top 10 pick had he kept himself clean. Instead he transferred to a DIV II school and played pretty average. The only thing saving him now is his electric return skills.

2012 NFL Draft: Cincy Jungle Mock Draft 1.0 - Cincy Jungle

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They better not pass on Miller if he's available. That's assuming they don't sign a FA, though....

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Both picks seem like reaches to me...They gotta come outta the 1st with at least one OG.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to hell with it, we're screwed. Brown bought the remaining shares, he doesn't even have a little bird tweeting in his ear anymore. Lewis made demands, and then caved when he thought he'd be out of head coaching for good. This team will do what it does every season, they will go into next season either very thin at depth or still with question marks and holes.

redbengal1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
to hell with it, we're screwed. Brown bought the remaining shares, he doesn't even have a little bird tweeting in his ear anymore. Lewis made demands, and then caved when he thought he'd be out of head coaching for good. This team will do what it does every season, they will go into next season either very thin at depth or still with question marks and holes.

That's 100% true. It coulda worked out great for us. Somebody exposes how bad the ownership of the Bengals is, and we get rid of Lewis. Too bad he didn't have some nuts.

augustisback003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Both picks seem like reaches to me...They gotta come outta the 1st with at least one OG.

You can get a guard in the 2nd as Kevin Zeitler (6'3½" 322 Wisconsin), Joe Looney (6'3¼" 315 Wake Forest) and Kelechi Osemele (6'5¼" 337 Iowa State) could all be available when the Bengals make their pick. If they were to come out of the 1st with a Running Back (Lamar Miller,Chris Polk), Defensive Tackle (Devon Still,Fletcher Cox) or Safety (Mark Barron) I'd be very happy! I'd be pissed if they reached for a Cornerback (Alfonzo Dennard, Janoris Jenkins, Chase Minnifield, Brandon Boykin, Stephon Gilmore).

redbengal1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You can get a guard in the 2nd as Kevin Zeitler (6'3½" 322 Wisconsin), Joe Looney (6'3¼" 315 Wake Forest) and Kelechi Osemele (6'5¼" 337 Iowa State) could all be available when the Bengals make their pick. If they were to come out of the 1st with a Running Back (Lamar Miller,Chris Polk), Defensive Tackle (Devon Still,Fletcher Cox) or Safety (Mark Barron) I'd be very happy! I'd be pissed if they reached for a Cornerback (Alfonzo Dennard, Janoris Jenkins, Chase Minnifield, Brandon Boykin, Stephon Gilmore).

I wouldn't mind snatching up a guard in the first, and one in the second. We need to vastly improve the interior of our line.

I agree, though. I don't want to reach for anyone. We have four or five extremely needed positions. Sure, try to get a S, CB, G, RB, or maybe DT, but take the best player available out of those. I don't want to reach for anyone.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

they would have to take a OG in the 2nd to defend that 1st round. I think alot of teams have a need on the interior though so they'd be rolling the dice that Zeiltler and Osemele would still be there (I"ve seen mocks with those guys going late one). The way I see it though the two biggest holes on the roster are 1). LG and 2). RG. Without a viable interior O-line adding a top flight RB is putting the cart before the horse. Plus I dont see that much drop off from Miller to say David WIlson in the 2nd. I like the RB from Boise who should be there in 3 and maybe 4.

icehole3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Any draft pick other than QB is fine with me, I do think they will fill most of their needs in free agency, just about any guard in free agency will be better than Livings. I would like to see pass rushers stockpiled either in the draft or free agency

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No to Barron, no to Still, Not a chance in hell that Coples is left at our 1st pick much less our second, I'm fine with Gilmore at our 2nd pick and give me Decastro, Floyd, Glenn at the 1st one.