• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Cinco de Mayo Gs @ Maidens

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That could be a possibility but would the FO do it?

I certainly hope they are considering it, especially when Ichiro just did that.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I certainly hope they are considering it, especially when Ichiro just did that.
I think that the Mariners' FO had a conversation with Ichiro when they signed him that this would happen when their outfield got completely healthy. He knew it was coming. He also was unsigned through most of spring training and wanted a job in the US. He took what he got. Pence would be similar in that he wouldn't have much of a choice but I think it would be harder to sell it to Pence without the potential for hard feelings.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I generally approve of this game. Blach still scares me, but we've found out how to deploy him -- put him in games where we score double digit runs.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that the Mariners' FO had a conversation with Ichiro when they signed him that this would happen when their outfield got completely healthy. He knew it was coming. He also was unsigned through most of spring training and wanted a job in the US. He took what he got. Pence would be similar in that he wouldn't have much of a choice but I think it would be harder to sell it to Pence without the potential for hard feelings.
None of us know who said what to who and we don't know how Pence will take things. He's.not stupid. Just saying it's a real possibility.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I generally approve of this game. Blach still scares me, but we've found out how to deploy him -- put him in games where we score double digit runs.
That's a good strategy for all of our pitchers. Call it the Giants Way

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of us know who said what to who and we don't know how Pence will take things. He's.not stupid. Just saying it's a real possibility.
I thought I read that was the conversation in spring training but I just re-read the article and it mentioned that the FO started the conversation just a few weeks ago.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That could be a possibility but would the FO do it?
When Suzuki retired, he forfeited the remainder of his MLB contract. I suspect he was making MLB min, so big whoop, but it still happened. If Pence were to do the same, he would be leaving approx 14M on the table.

Ain’t happening.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I usually read posts and don't write much cause heck who wants to read what I write... but this last little while with the Giants proves what others have said about wins by starting pitchers, wins is way over rated after all these Giants starters aren't the greatest but since they pitch for a OFFENSIVE JUGGERNAUT they can easily wins games. :eyebrows::rolleyes: See what I did there OFFENSIVE JUGGERNAUT;);)

Enjoy it as long as it lasts IT'S FUN and hope when things get back to average our Pitching staff can help keep the Giants above .500 and in it.
So you're thinking '16 redux? Oy.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're thinking '16 redux? Oy.
200.gif

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Suzuki retired, he forfeited the remainder of his MLB contract. I suspect he was making MLB min, so big whoop, but it still happened. If Pence were to do the same, he would be leaving approx 14M on the table.

Ain’t happening.

Why couldn't they pay him his money as a coach? The whole point is he needs to not take up a roster space and we need to not unceremoniously DFA him. The money is spent. I don't think that's a problem.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why couldn't they pay him his money as a coach? The whole point is he needs to not take up a roster space and we need to not unceremoniously DFA him. The money is spent. I don't think that's a problem.
The Mariners released Suzuki to remove him from the 40 man roster. I assume that if the player is not set to officially retire then the team has to do something with the player unless they can continue making up legitimate injuries to keep him on the disabled list. However, there is nothing I can find that shows the Giants releasing Pence would cause him to lose his salary. I think that only happens if he chooses to retire.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners released Suzuki to remove him from the 40 man roster. I assume that if the player is not set to officially retire then the team has to do something with the player unless they can continue making up legitimate injuries to keep him on the disabled list. However, there is nothing I can find that shows the Giants releasing Pence would cause him to lose his salary. I think that only happens if he chooses to retire.
Did Seattle release him? Then they are still on the hook for the money.

If PENCE severs the relationship (he retires), he gets no money. If THE GIANTS sever the relationship (they DFA him), he gets all the money.

I believe there are rules about how many coaches a team can have in the dugout during game time. So I don’t think they can just “add him to the coaching staff”. If I am not mistaken, Ichiro took a “front office job”. That is probably something similar to Will Clark. He acts as a special coach / community ambassador (WAG).

Either way, I have a hard time picturing Pence ever getting back on the active roster. The team is playing very well right now and look like they could be a contender. They won’t ruin that, and I doubt Pence’s would want to ruin that. They will find a way to “get that man his money” while preserving the relationship. He deserves an honored spot in the Giants alumni corps. And he will have that spot.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Seattle release him? Then they are still on the hook for the money.

If PENCE severs the relationship (he retires), he gets no money. If THE GIANTS sever the relationship (they DFA him), he gets all the money.

I believe there are rules about how many coaches a team can have in the dugout during game time. So I don’t think they can just “add him to the coaching staff”. If I am not mistaken, Ichiro took a “front office job”. That is probably something similar to Will Clark. He acts as a special coach / community ambassador (WAG).

Either way, I have a hard time picturing Pence ever getting back on the active roster. The team is playing very well right now and look like they could be a contender. They won’t ruin that, and I doubt Pence’s would want to ruin that. They will find a way to “get that man his money” while preserving the relationship. He deserves an honored spot in the Giants alumni corps. And he will have that spot.
Yes, Ichiro was released and no he is not allowed in the dugout during games. His role is very vague right now. Ichiro joins Mariners' front office for rest of '18

It will be interesting to see what happens with Pence. I get the feeling that what will happen is that either Blanco or Hernandez has a sudden injury (or an injury that just comes to light) and he gets activated.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, Ichiro was released and no he is not allowed in the dugout during games. His role is very vague right now. Ichiro joins Mariners' front office for rest of '18

It will be interesting to see what happens with Pence. I get the feeling that what will happen is that either Blanco or Hernandez has a sudden injury (or an injury that just comes to light) and he gets activated.

That would be very stupid. I'd say almost the dumbest self-inflicted wound in years if they do that. I just don't see Pence as the kind of guy who will insist on something like that but who knows.