• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chiefs trade a 5th to the Saints for Grubbs

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think the Chiefs do cap wise from here on out cause as of right now with the Grubbs signing they are $3.7 million over the cap. I know cutting Bowe obviously can eliminate that but you still need room for draft choices, practice squad players (they do count against the cap), and then any UDFA's that you sign. The only other big contract they can but that would make any sense is that of Sean Smith. I'm thinking there is a good chance that Bowe and Smith both will be gone in the near future with the Cap Situation.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think the Chiefs do cap wise from here on out cause as of right now with the Grubbs signing they are $3.7 million over the cap. I know cutting Bowe obviously can eliminate that but you still need room for draft choices, practice squad players (they do count against the cap), and then any UDFA's that you sign. The only other big contract they can but that would make any sense is that of Sean Smith. I'm thinking there is a good chance that Bowe and Smith both will be gone in the near future with the Cap Situation.

Alex Smith has a restructure clause that creates 8.1 million. I am not sweating the cap given only the top 51 count against the cap. I'd expect Chase Daniel to be cut in addition to Bowe. Sean Smith getting cut is pretty unlikely given how he played last year.

Plus with over 50M in 2016 cap space and I am really not very concerned. Multiple avenues to be well under the cap.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man. I don't see why players like this get traded for so little. Is there no team in the NFL that would have given them a 4th? As a Bills fan, it bothers me it wasn't us.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith has a restructure clause that creates 8.1 million. I am not sweating the cap given only the top 51 count against the cap. I'd expect Chase Daniel to be cut in addition to Bowe. Sean Smith getting cut is pretty unlikely given how he played last year.

Plus with over 50M in 2016 cap space and I am really not very concerned. Multiple avenues to be well under the cap.

Well actually once the season kicks in the top-53 count, plus Practice Squad players, plus IR players. So yes right now only the top-51 but in the not too distant future the Chiefs will definitely have to make some decisions. Didn't know about the $8.1 million restructure clause. That is nice.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A draft class is about $5 or $6 mil I'm thinking...Bowe & Smith would yield about $10 mil...I just read where Bowe was release so you're probably right CD7.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man. I don't see why players like this get traded for so little. Is there no team in the NFL that would have given them a 4th? As a Bills fan, it bothers me it wasn't us.

There's multiple reasons:
1) Draft picks are more valuable than ever and mid rounds are IMO the BEST rounds and ones everyone should pay attention to.
1a) If you HIT on a mid rounder, you're paying CHEAP and getting production.
1b) It's better to have more mid round picks, than more high round picks. Everyone talent wise is pretty close, generally the 1st rounders are maybe a bit more physically gifted or require LESS development. But if they bust, ouch for your wallet. Meanwhile, the more mid round picks you get, the more chance you'll hit, and if you don't big deal (it was cheap).
2) Teams (especially O-Line) build on continuity/playing time. Introducing vets from diff. teams can disrupt continuity.
3) Front office standings. Certain teams do not like negotiating with other certain teams.
4) Grubbs is 31. It's more ideal to bring younger guys along. You'll likely only get 1-2 years more 'decent' productivity along while limiting playing time for younger guys who could be the face of your franchise for another 5+ years.
5) Grubbs didn't exactly light it up in 2014.
6) Grubbs is expensive, he brings $6M+ cap hit along with him.

Last edited:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Draft picks are more valuable than ever and mid rounds are IMO the BEST rounds and ones everyone should pay attention to.
2) Teams (especially O-Line) build on continuity/playing time. Introducing vets from diff. teams can disrupt continuity.
3) Front office standings. Certain teams do not like negotiating with other certain teams.
4) Grubbs is 31. It's more ideal to bring younger guys along.
5) Grubbs is expensive, he brings $6M+ cap hit along with him.

For the Chiefs though they have lost a ton of their OL so the idea of continuity has already been thrown out the window so getting a quality player to come in and begin working on that continuity is pretty important.

Also on NO not wanting to trade with an NFC team...Didn't they just trade with the Seahawks?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the Chiefs though they have lost a ton of their OL so the idea of continuity has already been thrown out the window so getting a quality player to come in and begin working on that continuity is pretty important.

Also on NO not wanting to trade with an NFC team...Didn't they just trade with the Seahawks?

Not necessarily. For example Lions/Seahawks trade ALL the time because the front offices really get along. Same with Vikings/Seahawks. The GM/coaching staff from Seattle/Detroit has explicitly told media: "We like working with those guys."

General rule of thumb is, don't trade in the division, but conferences are okay. That said, there are certain front offices (even in different conferences) that do not like working with each other. I can't recall them off the top of my head and with all the FO changes these days who can keep track, but just saying. And KC has huge line issues and the line is a shell of itself, so it makes sense to bring in someone like Grubbs.

Just trying to explain to our friend why everyone just doesn't give up a 4th/5th.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessarily. For example Lions/Seahawks trade ALL the time because the front offices really get along. Same with Vikings/Seahawks. The GM/coaching staff from Seattle/Detroit has explicitly told media: "We like working with those guys."

General rule of thumb is, don't trade in the division, but conferences are okay. That said, there are certain front offices (even in different conferences) that do not like working with each other. I can't recall them off the top of my head and with all the FO changes these days who can keep track, but just saying. And KC has huge line issues and the line is a shell of itself, so it makes sense to bring in someone like Grubbs.

Just trying to explain to our friend why everyone just doesn't give up a 4th/5th.

Ahh got yah. Missed the point. You are right those picks become pretty valuable any more. If nothing else they are nice bargaining chips in the draft to trade up when you see a player you highly value falling a bit more than you thought. Throw in these are the guys that help give teams those quality depth guys and every once in a while a quality starter. The best teams in the league while having a good starting 22 understand the players behind those players are just about as important as there is no way you will get through a whole season with all 22 staying healthy. Have to have that quality player that can step in.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

another reason why i think Bowe's gone...unless he re-structures...which i hope he doesn't...:lol:

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1b) It's better to have more mid round picks, than more high round picks. Everyone talent wise is pretty close, generally the 1st rounders are maybe a bit more physically gifted or require LESS development. But if they bust, ouch for your wallet. Meanwhile, the more mid round picks you get, the more chance you'll hit, and if you don't big deal (it was cheap).
4) Grubbs is 31. It's more ideal to bring younger guys along. You'll likely only get 1-2 years more 'decent' productivity along while limiting playing time for younger guys who could be the face of your franchise for another 5+ years.
5) Grubbs didn't exactly light it up in 2014.
6) Grubbs is expensive, he brings $6M+ cap hit along with him.

Depends. If you have a 1st round pick, you are guaranteed a GOOD player and the onus goes on the front office to make sure they pick that good player. 1st round picks are also the only picks that carry the 5th yr option, so keeping control over a rookie capped piece for another year could be seen as more valuable.