• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chicago Bears Cap Space 2014

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they just brought in an offensive lineman cut by miami today as well as dunbar from TCU. There are gonna be at least 6 season ending injuries soon enough and some big early cuts like Izzy and maybe Garza depending on how his competition treats him this summer.

C

cubzzzfanincali

the estimates vary by about $540,000. This is one reason why I like sportrac, they make everything explicit. How OverTheCap arrives at the $6.124 million figure is unclear.

C

cubzzzfanincali

they just brought in an offensive lineman cut by miami today as well as dunbar from TCU. There are gonna be at least 6 season ending injuries soon enough and some big early cuts like Izzy and maybe Garza depending on how his competition treats him this summer.

Idonije could be cut but won't affect the cap hit by a dime. He's at min cap hit already, so his salary slot's cap hit can't get any lower regardless of who replaces him.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds pretty perfect to me... Little wiggle room in case something happens in camp. Now if I were a Greenbay fan I might be a bit pissed the team is leaving money on the table with serious holes on the team that need filling.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Sounds pretty perfect to me... Little wiggle room in case something happens in camp. Now if I were a Greenbay fan I might be a bit pissed the team is leaving money on the table with serious holes on the team that need filling.

Packers fans should hold their fire on that. I'd bet gb is waiting to see how Finley is coming back from his surgery. Plus there are always ongoing opportunities to pick up guys who are getting cut, particularly the cuts made after June 1.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idonije could be cut but won't affect the cap hit by a dime. He's at min cap hit already, so his salary slot's cap hit can't get any lower regardless of who replaces him.

Sure it will He is at min cap hit for a man with his tenure, which is 955k. you replace him with the rookie whos minimum is 420k it makes a half million dollar difference.

Dont forget that is also a 77 man roster and only the top 51 dollar amounts are averaged.

Its the dead money column that is scary. Why Jennings already has 12 million of his dollars pushed back into the dead money category is what should be pissing off other teams.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Sure it will He is at min cap hit for a man with his tenure, which is 955k. you replace him with the rookie whos minimum is 420k it makes a half million dollar difference.

Dont forget that is also a 77 man roster and only the top 51 dollar amounts are averaged.

Its the dead money column that is scary. Why Jennings already has 12 million of his dollars pushed back into the dead money category is what should be pissing off other teams.

No, it does not. Idonije's cap hit for 2014 is $570,000. His salary is not the same as his cap hit. His cap hit is quite clearly $570,000.

Yes, precisely. Only the Top 51 are measured. So when you remove his $570,000 hit, and replace it with another identical one (for, say, an undrafted vet's), the cap figure does not go down. If you pay a veteran with a cap hit higher than $570,000, then in fact the Bears would have even less money. Not more.

They may well cut Idonije, but it won't help or be because of salary cap benefits.

What frightens you about Jennings' dead money charge this year? That's the normal effect of any veteran contract in the NFL. Pretty typical.